Browning 1886 sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Browning 1886 sights

Post by perry owens »

Could anyone let me know the size of the front sight dovetail and the height of the sight on a Browning 1886 rifle. I have just closed a deal on an 1886 but I want to order a sight set before it arrives. I want to set it up for lever action silhouette and any suggestions for a good sight combination most welcome. My original Win '86 wears a Marbles tang sight and a Beech combination front. That works well for me but I fancy a change. I could d&t for a receiver sight if necessary but I have no experience with them. Are they good for long range?
Perry Owens
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You really can't get yourself a front sight until you decide what you want for a rear sight. Different people see the sights in different ways so you should have several front sights on hand when you go to sight in.

For NRA silhouette, I like a skinny front sight with a 1/16" bead. If the targets are painted white, I will dab a little flat black paint on the bead and if the targets are painted black, I do the same with white paint. I prefer a tang sight as most of my old Winchesters & Marlins are equiped with 'em. Pay a 'smith $25 to D&T the tang of your Browning and install a Marbles tang sight on it. The Marbles are windage adjustable while the Lymans are close to being junk if not reworked to keep the stem from flying off. While ordering the rear sight, get yourself a small assortment of front sights in varying heights-say .300, .375, .450, Get the bead that you like, either 1/16, 3/32, or a flat post.

Dovetails for most all antique rifles and all new ones are 3/8", excepting SRC's. Below is a pic of the sight I use for silhouette.---------Sixgun

Belo
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD