Cast bullets bending during sizing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Cast bullets bending during sizing?

Post by EdinCT »

I have never had a problem sizing bullets but used pistol and 45/70 bullets the most. Lately I have been casting .321297 Lymans for the 32 Special and lubing them with RCBS rifle lube. I notice they are bending? This is a soft lube but the cellar is cool at best.
What do you think should I water quench the bullets or heat the sizer ?
I have a load with 30-31 that is close to 1900 fps that shoots well and I want to kill a deer or two with it. Its pretty close to wheel weight alloy. What do you think?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast bullets bending during sizing?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are BENDING!! Explain.
If you pushed straight on the nose of the bullet they could expand (bump up) if very soft, and you are trying to size them down too far, but not bend. :? :? :?
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I am using a swc nose punch on the flat points and while seating gas checks and sizing, they look like they are bending. If I roll them they wobble. They look bent forward on the nose.
Never saw anything like it and looking around the bench I found 4-5 hundred 30 cal rile bullets I forgot I had from a 308 cast project 25 years or so ago. They are straight, from the same RCBS sizer I've had for 40 years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:They are BENDING!! Explain.
If you pushed straight on the nose of the bullet they could expand (bump up) if very soft, and you are trying to size them down too far, but not bend. :? :? :?
Chuck, between this issue and Pete's, well, I'm perplexed to say the least.

If using the sizer-lubricator correctly, I find it almost impossible to believe they are bending. How much are you sizing down....from what to what?

Sizing bullets should always be a somewhat easy thing to do, requiring little strength. I don't think an RCBS sizer has the linkage to bend bullets.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What's the "as cast" dia. and what suze die? I'm perplexed as well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:What's the "as cast" dia. and what suze die? I'm perplexed as well.
Griff,
What's "Susy" got to do with this? :D

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Cast Bullet Size .324-.325 and Sizing to .321 which has shot very well in the past in this rifle.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Did U change the sizing die from 30 to 32 ? I caint help much, got My own probs. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:Cast Bullet Size .324-.325 and Sizing to .321 which has shot very well in the past in this rifle.

Size 32-40 and 32 Spl. to .323

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

The only way I can see that happening is that the die & top punch are not in true alignment. If you are using a top punch (SWC) that is larger than the bullet nose that is likely the problem.

Are you pre seating the gas checks?
Does he ejector pin come up high enough so that the bullet sits solidly against it prior to sizing?

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

w30wcf wrote:... If you are using a top punch (SWC) that is larger than the bullet nose that is likely the problem.
I believe w30wcf has stated the solution to your problem. I had problems with a particular bullet being slightly bent or distorted out of centre when sizing. If I recall correctly, it was a long, 275 grain 38-72 bullet cast from pure clip on wheel weights and air cooled. The problem was the top punch; it was made for a flat point bullet, but a larger flat point than the one on the cast bullet. Unless the bullet was perfectly aligned on the vertical axis, it would tend to slightly bend one way or another while being pressed into the sizing die, simply because the centre of the flat point was not in the exact centre of the top punch flat area. The solution was to go through my collection of top punches and find one that was narrow enough to 'funnel' the point of the bullet into perfect vertical alignment on the beginning of the down stroke.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:What's the "as cast" dia. and what suze die? I'm perplexed as well.
Griff,
What's "Susy" got to do with this? :D
You ever watch "Suzy" tryin' to squeeze her size 12 body into size 8 britches? Entertainin' as all get-out, but something's gonna get bent! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It is entirely possible to bend long slender rifle cast bullets in the sizing process. This has been a long known thing. The fix is to use a sizer that pushes on the base and not the nose. The Lee sizer is an example of a "nose first sizer". Various folks make gizmos that hold RCBS/Lyman sizing dies in the top of the reloading press to use like the Lee.

I only use nose first sizing set ups for cast rifle bullets. Short squat handgun bullets are not prone to bending.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Dropping a long bullet from a hot mold, not quite cooled enough for release will bend the shape. I had this happen casting some 500 gr 45-70's in a single cavity mold. I had to recast half the lot because of distortion.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Hair dryer works well to warm the lubri sizer up. Releive pressure before doing it. It will take about half the force/effort to size them. Ill second the 323 dia.