T/C pistol calibers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

T/C pistol calibers

Post by m.wun »

Anyone here have or shoot a T/C contender in 35 Rem ? Or 223 for that matter? Wondering what would be better 357 max or the 35 Rem.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: T/C pistol calibers

Post by Pete44ru »

I wouldn't bother with the Max ( I no longer reload), but if varminting's your bag, a .223 isn't a bad choice.

I once had an early (pre-G2) Contender in .35 Rem (among about 4-5 others, over the years), and it worked very nicely on whitetails. (I didn't like the one G2 I bought, & sent it down the road)

The only chambering I liked better was the 14" ported .375 Winchester I ordered from the T/C Custom Shop (Fox River Outfitters).

The ported .45-70 Super 14 Hunter I had was a bear to shoot, until I installed a set of Pachmayr rubber bumpers (the only chambering I found that needed them).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I had a 35 Rem for a little while, but rechambered it to .358JDJ. The question between the Max and the Rem would be "What do you plan to do with it?" and "Do you handload." (I assume you must if you're considering the Max. The max would be cheaper to feed if you're planning on doing lots of shooting/plinking.
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

223 in a 14" pistol WILL shoot 1" groups off a rest, even in my hands. Haven't shot my 357 Max for awhile but wanted decent power and ability to load long heavy bullets at moderate velocity; didn't want a 'hand cannon' so saw no need for 35 Rem. Didn't have a 35 Rem lever gun back then, but if I had might have gotten Contender in that instead, just for fewer cases and dies to deal with.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

And the Max shoots .357 Magnum just fine if you don't need the extra power. Just sayin'.

MGM in Utah makes great Max Contender Carbines. I have no experience of a Max handgun in Contender, tho.
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I have a contender with a 14in. .223 barrel.It's set up with bipod and 6x24 tasco rifle scope.It is accurate and flat out FUN to shoot.I'm able to shoot it out to 300yds at the club I belong to.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Very much a matter of what you want to do.

I've been shooting the Max since the late 80s and let me tell you that it is an extremely accurate, flat shooting round with the right loads, but it does it all with less recoil than the 44 mag and definitely less recoil than the 35 Remington. I wouldn't be without the Max. It's a staple for me. I even shoot it in the Encore rifle.

The Max, though, is a reloader's cartridge. Don't expect to walk into a store and buy loaded 357 Max ammo. Remington does make a run of brass every other year or so and we Max shooters gobble the supply up quick. Yes, you can shoot Mags in a Max barrel, but don't expect the level of accuracy that you can get with a dedicated 357 Mag barrel.

The 35 is definitely a heavier cartridge than the Max in the Contender, capable of handling heavier bullets, but it won't be as flat shooting as the Max and recoil will definitely be more of a factor. If you are new to shooting the big stuff in a Contender, rest assured that it is entirely doable, but it does take a little experience.

The 223 is a long standing classic in a Contender or Encore. Most I've shot are MOA or sub MOA with the right hand loads and some of the better grade factory loads. Even the cheap stuff, though, will easily do under 2" at 100. Very easy shooting cartridge in a Contender. Been a favorite of Contender shooters for good reason.
Awsomepossum
Levergunner

Post by Awsomepossum »

Got a super 14 223, love it. Also got a 10 inch 41 magnum, love it. I would say get the 223 for cheap plinking, but also get some high end ear muffs.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have all 3. The max can equal the FACTORY .35 Rem and is easier to load as one doesn't need to lube the case for the carbide dies. The Max is really versatile using dawdling and quiet .38 Special loads to the .35 Rem equivalent. It is a favorite. http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... st_01.html
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie wrote:I have all 3. The max can equal the FACTORY .35 Rem and is easier to load as one doesn't need to lube the case for the carbide dies. The Max is really versatile using dawdling and quiet .38 Special loads to the .35 Rem equivalent. It is a favorite. http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... st_01.html
Interesting article Hobie, the only Max barrel I have is a 10" one, I think I will have to dig it out and do some experimenting. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Another vote for the Max.

Mine is a 10" bought originally for IHMSA Production class. Mine apparently hasn't read Mike Bellm"s treatise on how crappy the factory chamber is because like North Country Gal's mine is plenty accurate.

It does everything, but stick to Max brass.

Post by Mainehunter »

A friend of mine shoots 223 exclusively in his Contender for coyotes. I did have 357 Max once chambered in H&R and was pretty darn accurate.

Mainehunter :wink: