Vintage Winchester 1892 , 38-40 Back In Service!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Vintage Winchester 1892 , 38-40 Back In Service!

Post by rbertalotto »

I spent a snowbound day in the shop renovating an old 1892 Winchester in 38-40 that I picked up a while ago for cheap money.

A few new parts, a barrel reline, all nice new screws and a forearm repair. Wasn't feeding or ejecting when I started.......Now it runs beautifully!

Can't wait to take it out to the range and shoot it!

I wrote a little article with pictures on my web site.

Hope you enjoy it!

www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Ysabel Kid

Re: Vintage Winchester 1892 , 38-40 Back In Service!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just so cool! 8) I wish I had that level of skill (and those tools)! :mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice save on that old Winchester!!!!!!!!
Great story

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Roy, It came out nice. I love the 38 WCF and the 92 also.
One question after you insert the liner how much meat is left in the chamber area after you recut it?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent work. Well done.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Great work and writeup, really appreciate the article on relining the 1873. I have an 1873 in 38-40 in great external shape but the bore is pitted and the chamber has been Bubba'd. Because of this it won't pass UK proof so I can't legally sell it or even give it away. A reline is in order but no gunsmith here will do it. I have access to the machinery to do it myself but Brownells can't export a barrel liner without an export permit so I calculate that liner, drill, reamer and permit are going to run about $800.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

One question after you insert the liner how much meat is left in the chamber area after you recut it?
The barrel liner is .5938 diameter, the 38-40 at the widest part of the body is .4700

So that leaves a wall thickness of .0619 or about 1/16th of an inch. Plus the remainder of the original barrel.

Like I said, I wouldn't do this for a 454 Casull or a 460 Weatherby, but these old blackpowder cartridges with their modest pressure is safe.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great job Roy!
perry owens wrote:Great work and writeup, really appreciate the article on relining the 1873. I have an 1873 in 38-40 in great external shape but the bore is pitted and the chamber has been Bubba'd. Because of this it won't pass UK proof so I can't legally sell it or even give it away. A reline is in order but no gunsmith here will do it. I have access to the machinery to do it myself but Brownells can't export a barrel liner without an export permit so I calculate that liner, drill, reamer and permit are going to run about $800.

Perry Owens
Perry, sounds like you need to take a hunting trip to the USA and bring that rifle. You could have that done in a day or so and then go shoot it before you go home. A couple more £ than doing it at home, but maybe more fun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Tycer wrote:Great job Roy!
perry owens wrote:Great work and writeup, really appreciate the article on relining the 1873. I have an 1873 in 38-40 in great external shape but the bore is pitted and the chamber has been Bubba'd. Because of this it won't pass UK proof so I can't legally sell it or even give it away. A reline is in order but no gunsmith here will do it. I have access to the machinery to do it myself but Brownells can't export a barrel liner without an export permit so I calculate that liner, drill, reamer and permit are going to run about $800.

Perry Owens
Perry, sounds like you need to take a hunting trip to the USA and bring that rifle. You could have that done in a day or so and then go shoot it before you go home. A couple more £ than doing it at home, but maybe more fun.
I plan on going back to New York next summer to visit old haunts and friends from when I lived there. If I can find good gunsmith to do the reline maybe I can ship it in advance and bring it back with me. It's an antique so maybe I won't need an export license.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

perry owens wrote:
Tycer wrote:Great job Roy!

Perry Owens
I plan on going back to New York next summer to visit old haunts and friends from when I lived there. If I can find good gunsmith to do the reline maybe I can ship it in advance and bring it back with me. It's an antique so maybe I won't need an export license.

Perry Owens
Looks like Roy is 3 hours away and the drive through Mystic is a pretty one. I'd talk about history, but GB has so much more than US...
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I enjoyed reading that. Would have been interesting to see the boogered barrel threads. How is it that the threads in receiver were not also ruined?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. A job well done. Always enjoy your website. Thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot