Shot the CVA 32 today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Shot the CVA 32 today

Post by pwl44m »

I got My 311 mold in the mail yesterday and withheld as long as I could before going out to the Garage and turning on the lead Pot. I have a little 4 lb pot borrowed till I get My Lee 20 lb pot from Cabelas.
I cleaned the mold with starting fluid to remove any oil then blew it off with air and smoked it as best I could. It did a decent job of releasing but some had to be knocked loose. Anyhow in a short time I thought I had about 100 balls cast and decided to quit. When I counted the total was 350 plus. Time flies when Ur having fun. :lol:
Had to go to town today to pick up the Rossi 65 44-40 that I bought at the Gun Show then perused the Gun stores. Came Home and decided to give the BP a try. I loaded it with 25 grs 3f and a 22 cleaning patch (greased) followed by the ball. Shaved the patch and stepped out back to cap one off. This thing has a set trigger and it has a super light pull on the second stage. So lite that I wasn't ready, that's gonna take some getting used to. Loaded it up again and fired another round. This thing is gonna be fun. It will take a lot longer to shoot those 350 balls than it did to cast them. Need to get a system down for loading. I really wasn't prepared but couldn't wait any longer. No target or range report other than "It was Fun".
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot the CVA 32 today

Post by JerryB »

Perry that little 32 should make a real fine rabbit gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

JerryB wrote:Perry that little 32 should make a real fine rabbit gun.
Well it is about to get tested. I saw the Neighbors Rabbit in My Garden today. Of course there is nothing He can hurt right now buuut ! But first I need to get that trigger figured out. I guess I could try it without setting the rear trigger.
Perry
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

If there is a small screw between the front and rear trigger the "hair" trigger(front) is adjustable..backing it out a little will make the pull heavier..no need to cock the hammer to check the weight of trigger pull..Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Les, I'll check that out. As it is I have to be very careful, just breathe on it and it goes off- literally almost.
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Les is right, you can adjust that front trigger and get used to it. On each of my set trigger rifles, I do that several times before shooting them, just to refamiliarize myself with that paticular gun.

One of the best tools you can get for a muzzle-loader is a short starter. Mine's a round wood ball, wth a brass "starter" that's about ½" long for getting the patched ball down into the barrel... It also has a 6" length of 3/8" dowel rod to get it started far enough that I can effectively use my ramrod. That dowel is capped with a .30-06 case cut down to protect the end of the dowel. They're available commercially.. Image

The next best tool is a loading block... Mine is just a flat board with 6 holes bored large enough to hold my .53 cal balls with a lubed patch in place...It sure beats holding them in your cheek, or trying to balance a ball & patch on the muzzle while you get it started. This one is rather unique:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Griff, I have a short starter but it is for 50 cal. Now that loading block looks like a great idea, especially for 32 cal. I can see that this might be as bad as Levergunitis. :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is a commercial PRB loading board (TOTW, Possibles Shop, etc) - but they're pretty E-Z to make @ home for zero $$.

A capping tool will also help to speed things up

But, if you really have a need 4 speed, then speedloaders R indicated

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh no.....the bug has bitten.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Indeed it has Nath although I don't forsee getting a Hunting License (haven't had one for about 25 years).
I have a capper and that speed loader looks mighty handy. U Guys aren't just Levergun enablers r U ?
Perry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pretty cool Perry, go get em. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

pwl44m wrote:Indeed it has Nath although I don't forsee getting a Hunting License (haven't had one for about 25 years).
I have a capper and that speed loader looks mighty handy. U Guys aren't just Levergun enablers r U ?
Perry
Hunting licence.....say what! Get your rump over here, I'll get you on somert'.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Yep, Hunting License. Last one I had was about 1990. I think then it was close to 50 bucks, no telling how much it is now. First U buy alicense then a tag or stamp for anything U want to hunt. It can get pricey. Getting My Rump over would be a monumental task.
Perry