Best dies for the 25-20? And loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Best dies for the 25-20? And loads?

Post by Old Savage »

Contemplating what dies are best in this caliber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best dies for the 25-20?

Post by ollogger »

Mine are RCBS, dumb move on my part when I started I didn't have the expander set right
and pancaked a couple cases, yes some times Im slow to catch on :oops:

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
I have around 60 sets of dies with about 95% of them being RCBS. Modern dies are very uniform today and you really can't go wrong with any of them. The reason I stay with RCBS is that I can always change out parts if the need arises and it always does. So get the brand you prefer and supplement it with a Lee FCD, a must for any levergun cartridge.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I decided to purchase the LYMAN die set for the .25-20 mostly because it comes with their excellent "M" neck expanding die.
I also bought the RCBS neck sizing die & the Lee FCD.

I was not disappointed!
I found that the Lyman sizing die, resizes a fired case to = the factory case dimensions. :D
Excellent!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I'm very happy with my RCBS Cowboy dies, which are made expressly for cast lead bullets.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Still considering but right now it looks like the Lee three die set and a separate Lyman M.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... 3 recommendations for RCBS, 1 for Lyman... and you decide Lee....?

Whatever you get... make sure they're for 25-20. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well the consideration so far, Lyman not available. But I can get the M die. Lee FCD comes with the Lee set. Six thought all are good and one of our esteemed contributors has recommended Lee in another thread. So, not as skewed as it may seem from our recommendations. May also add a Redding neck sizer. I tend to be a bit of an experimenter on combinations and ... A friend has RCBS I could try. Marlin Owners has about 55 pages on the subject but not as familiar with those fellows although some here are there with the names changed :) apparently to protect the innocent.

I have already loaded for the 25-35, .257 Roberts, 250 Savage and 25-06. All were quite accurate. I also very briefly loaded for a friend's 25-20 before it went away. That was not too accurate. Keeping my ears open. Don't really feel like I know what I am doing here but it seems like an interesting project and I want to hear what folks have to say.

As an aside I once bought two matching Ruger 77 Rs in .270 to see if there was any difference. There is - one is about 100 fps faster than the other and seems to shoot normal spitzers better. The slower one does very well with Partitions either 130 or 150. Almost like two different rifles in a sense.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I bought a set of Lyman dies about 25 years ago and they have worked well for me.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

I have a few sets of lee dies and they're ok. My .38-40 seating die won't seat bullets to a uniform depth though. Kinda irritating.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Another vote, for the RCBS Cowboy dies. Zero problems, with their 25-20,32-20, 38-40, & 44-40 CB dies.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I used Hornady 25-20 dies. Zero problems.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Still using my Herter's dies. Good to know these newcomers are making dies for 25/20 in case the Herter's wear out.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

earlmck wrote:Still using my Herter's dies. Good to know these newcomers are making dies for 25/20 in case the Herter's wear out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was rich, Earl! Thanks for the guffaws!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Earl - you are a lucky guy - searched the web for Herter's 25-20s and none to be had. :) Guess I will just have to "settle" for trying the Lee dies with FCD and the Lyman M die I ordered. :D

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have dies for the 25-20, but I also like the Hornady dies. At least, the way they seat the bullet using that sliding holder. I use the Lee FCD dies on all crimps.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old Savage wrote:Earl - you are a lucky guy - searched the web for Herter's 25-20s and none to be had. :) Guess I will just have to "settle" for trying the Lee dies with FCD and the Lyman M die I ordered. :D
And the Herter's dies are "Model Perfect" as I recall. You can't get better than that! But I'll bet you will be able to muddle along pretty well with your second choice there, O.S.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Earl, it is a project and an experiment. So, we'll press on. :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fred,

My only complaint about the Lee Dies is the "O-Ring" in place of a set screw type locking ring for the die body. The O-Ring will not hold a position on the die as well as a locking ring for removing and installing a die in either a tool head or press. It will hold the die in place as long as it's in place, but once removed, you'll have to reset it each time it's re-installed to have a perfectly adjusted die.

Whereas with RCBS or Redding once you adjust the die body for proper height, be it sizing or seating/crimping, once you tighten up the lock ring, it's set as long as you use it in that same press or tool head. I don't know about their RGB die sets, but I see they don't make that type for the 25-20. Although, their Pacesetter die sets include the FCD die.

But... RCBS does sell their Lock Ring assy. separately. $3.95 retail
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree Griff, I bought the Lee hand press for some jobs I can do inside. It has those new locking rings that will have the Lee dies. I am also going to get one of those Frankford Arsenal stands for an RCBS press. Don't think I am going to go the Dillon route on this. Depending on which seating die I go with I will probably go with your suggestion and that kind of may depend on what bullet I will use. Part of this will be a cast bullet project. Part of my long term recovery is involved with the residuals of arm, shoulder, hand, neck and at this point I am leery of shooting my 45/70 etc but this besides being something I have been interested in since Marlin brought them out is perfect for now.

For about 10 years I was sort of spoiled using the Lee Collet dies with bottle neck cases in the Dillon RL 550B, never trimmed or lubed for the thousands of rounds reloaded.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Back to looking at the 25-20 in the loads dept.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Earl,
You are a piece of work.
That's a good thing. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:My only complaint about the Lee Dies is the "O-Ring" in place of a set screw type locking ring for the die body. . . . . . . . . . But... RCBS does sell their Lock Ring assy. separately. $3.95 retail
Yep. Most of my often-used dies are on Lee or Dillon 'toolheads' (for the 4-station Lee turret or Dillon RL-550B), so it really doesn't matter, but I have replaced most of the O-ring nuts with set-screw ones of one type or another. ESPECIALLY for dies I use on the single-stage Rockchucker.
Sixgun wrote:So get the brand you prefer and supplement it with a Lee FCD, a must for any levergun cartridge.-----6
That's exactly what I advise folks. All the dies are 'ok', so don't waste a lot of time fussing over which brand. However, the Lee FCD is unique, and worth having in the equation.
Old Savage wrote:Still considering but right now it looks like the Lee three die set and a separate Lyman M.
Good choice from what I've read (not used them myself, yet). Here's a nice article on the Lyman M dies --> LASC article on Lyman M dies
Old Savage wrote:As an aside I once bought two matching Ruger 77 Rs in .270 to see if there was any difference. There is - one is about 100 fps faster than the other and seems to shoot normal spitzers better. The slower one does very well with Partitions either 130 or 150. Almost like two different rifles in a sense.
Now THAT is the kind of cool 'gun' stuff I love to read about; maybe the DCM-VIII or whatever one they're on now would classify it in the OCD category, but I think it is really cool to do stuff like that. That is how real progress in any field is made - by questioning, investigating, and so on. If OS or others who like to do stuff like that had more 'spare time' to do it in, just think of all the interesting stuff we'd have learned. 8)
earlmck wrote:Still using my Herter's dies. Good to know these newcomers are making dies for 25/20 in case the Herter's wear out.
Yep. Gander Mountain is giving Hudson Bay a run for their money, too... :wink:
It's amazing how much stuff basically invented over 100 years ago (like leverguns, brass cartridges, reloading dies, etc.) is STILL not only of sound and practical design, but so often the actual physical equipment itself is still in use and going strong. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I've got lots more like that, what calibers are you interested in. :)

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old Savage wrote:Back to looking at the 25-20 in the loads dept.
Keep us posted on your load trials, OS.

I am in a nasty rut in the 25/20 loading game (as you might suspect from my Herter's die set). I've never shot anything but the Lyman 257312 GC (about 90 grains) ahead of 11 grains of IMR 4227. Which load I settled on , not because it is particularly accurate, but because it slightly compresses the powder and the bullet can't get any deeper so I don't have to have much of a crimp -- just enough to remove the bell produced by the Lyman "M" die. Maybe I should try some other loads, maybe looking for more accuracy?

This load does thump a jack rabbit with considerable authority, I will note...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

for me a 17.5 grn load of Swiss 1.5 fg and a much lighter bullet - 65g or 79 gr (I have 2) worked well.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Been reading a thread on MarlinOwners on the subject that goes past 70 pages. Lot of detail there.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best dies for the 25-20? And loads?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Whatever you buy, get a Lyman "M" die too. I went with Lyman cause evry other die make was out of stock.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
Funny and temperamental cartridge, that 25-20 is. I've got a Remington pump gun that eats up everything. A Marlin CL that loves expensive jacketed bullets and cast to 1400.

My regular standard shooting rifle is a Model 53 Winchester takedown that loves the 70 gr Speer and a dose of AA#7......won 1st place at the Regionals with that load and rifle last summer.

About the only bullet that all three rifles likes is the Lyman 70 grain gas check.......not to exceed 1500 in any of the guns, because accuracy goes to pot after that speed and that is even casting them from pure Linotype.

Does not matter the powder as long as it's fast or semi fast for a cartridge like that. 3.7 grains of Bullseye or 4.5 grains of Unique gives that magical 1400 fps with the 70 gr. Lyman. 8.5 grains of IMR 4227 or AA 5744 will also give about 1400-1450 but those powders will have larger extreme spreads if the weather is cold vs hot or if the gun is pointed down or up.

3.7 grains of Bullseye works in any conditions in any temperature.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six I am going try your load here for sure. :D :D :D Think I will go with the 5744 load and that 70 gr Lyman you recommend.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Another vote for Herters, I am still using my Herters powder scales I started out with in 1960, they still calibrate out just fine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, thanks for the tips. I bought the Lee dies with FCD. I also got a Lyman M die in 25-20 and a set of Lee 32-20 dies to help in forming 25-20 from Starline 32-20s.

Had a brief go round with the 25-20 in a Marlin some years ago. Did find it finicky. It belonged to a friend and went away. Now that I have one we will see what happens.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, shot a few of those loads. Windy day and I called one high. I think the tight 3 shots are more the rifle's potential. These are all I shot - wanted the cases for a reference for setting the dies. Six inch bull here.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ran a few through the new 45 Colt to see where it shot.