A First-Class Tang Sight for my Browning 1886 SRC 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

A First-Class Tang Sight for my Browning 1886 SRC 45-70

Post by KirkD »

Back in late 1991 or early 1992 when I acquired a copy of the latest Browning catalogue, I saw that they were offering a limited run of Winchester’s Model 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine chambered in 45-70, which has become known as the Browning 1886 SRC. Within a few days, I had placed an order with one of the local gun shops. Many months later I received a call from the fellow there informing me that it had arrived, but if I had changed my mind, there was no need to pick it up as he had a long list of other fellows who were also waiting for one as well. Call me selfish, but I was over there promptly, money in hand. Here is a photo …

In the years since then, I have sold off all my modern rifles in favor of vintage, original Winchester lever guns about a century old, but there is one I will not part with … my Browning 1886 SRC. The action is a faithful reproduction of the original 1886 action, with a half cock hammer instead of the modern rebounding hammer, and no modern tang safety. For an 1886, it is a light, handy and fast little rifle and I cannot see myself ever parting with it this side of the Pearly Gates.

It has been 20 years since I got my hands on this little carbine and I am now 59 years old. The eyes do not focus up so close anymore, and the sights on this carbine have turned into a blur. The Old Timers had a solution for this problem … tang sights. The peep in the tang sight sharpens everything right back up, so I ordered a Montana Vintage Arms combination rear sight for an 1886 after hearing they produce a quality product. It came with the two mounting screws and two apertures, one with a fine peep for target shooting and one with a larger hole for hunting. Here is the MVA tang sight mounted on my 1886 SRC …

Boys, if you are want a piece of American-made top drawer quality, this MVA tang sight is it. The sight is quality in every way. The fit and finish are perfect. There is absolutely no slop or wiggle. The locking ring does its job with solid lock up and the post adjusts silky-smooth up or down with no play. The Browning 1886 SRC does not have the forward hole drilled and tapped for a tang sight … an oversight on the part of Browning’s design department. Nevertheless, other fellows said that the rear tang screw was sufficient to anchor that sight and they were right. It is rock solid with just the rear screw and when I tried it out at 100 yards, the three shot group was only ½” to the right of dead center … very nice. I will think about having a hole drilled and tapped for the front screw.

The next day after mounting the sight I had to go into town on some errands but stopped at the range on my way in. By the time I had adjusted the tang sight post to shoot slightly high at 50 yards, I only had time to take three quick shots at 100 yards and then I had to run to make my appointment in town. I was shooting a 405 grain plain base cast bullet over 26 grains of 5744 powder for something in the neighbourhood of 1,325 fps depending upon the temperature. When I literally ran down to the 100 yard target, I was very pleased to see a 3-shot group of 1 & 5/8”. Here is a photo of the target ….

Some Final Comments:

Montana Vintage Arms website is http://www.montanavintagearms.com/index.html

I am enormously pleased with this tang sight and Montana Vintage Arms' quality. The only suggestion I could make for improvement is to put a bit of a smooth radius around the rim of the screw-in apertures. The 1886 SRC is light and it bucks a far bit when the trigger is pulled. On one or two of those shots, my eye was a bit too close to the aperture and I put some scratches into the coated plastic lens of my glasses. I suppose this is the Old Timer’s version of the scope mark above the eyebrow that many scoped rifle shooters have enjoyed, and it is really due to being careless on my part. I’ll try to train myself to stay a bit further back from the aperture, or I may polish the rim of the aperture myself. I’ve experienced this with original tang sights as well, so it is not something unique to this particular sight. It really makes sense to keep ones eyeball further from the tang sight for safety reasons. One other comment ….. be sure to specify what type of 1886 your tang sight is for. The Browning (Miroku) made rifles use a different thread than the originals.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A First-Class Tang Sight for my Browning 1886 SRC 45-70

Post by M. M. Wright »

KirkD,
I too have had a couple of those 1886 Brownings and really liked both of them. I let a very good friend trade me a Bisley in 44-40 for the first one and just traded the other off a couple of weeks ago. Very well made and surprisingly accurate. This last one had a receiver sight on it, not very traditional but very effective. I'm down to just the one 86 now. It's the 1916 vintage 45-90 that I have talked about here several times.
Drill and tap that front hole. It's no trouble and the real Winchesters had that hole in them already. When I do it I don't even dismantle the rifle but you may want to after the operation is complete to assure that no shavings are inside.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

nice toys !
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

Kirk - that's a beauty. What else does a man need? With a rifle like that you can do just about anything.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice shooting Kirk.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for the great review. This sight has been on a wish list for awhile but accurate reviews were hard to find. Their Lyman #5 styled front flip-up sight is interesting too.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very nice, Kirk: it is amazing how much a tang sight improves the view through these aging eyeballs!

I just put a tang sight on an old '94/32 Special. If I get a group twice the size of yours I'll be happy. Or at least semi-happy :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Kirk, that is a really nice set up and you can see the quality of the sight is first class :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice Kirk 8)
PShort supplied me with a Marbles tang sight which was on the gun when I got it from him, I may put it back on. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy, if your eyes are anything like mine, that Marbles tang sight will make a big difference.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

KirkD wrote:Pitchy, if your eyes are anything like mine, that Marbles tang sight will make a big difference.
I`m sure it would, I just can`t get used to carrying a rifle with one on .
I may fit it to my 76 but I need different screws and higher stem.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The suggestion you got on the "one bolt will hold it on" works about 95% of the time. I have done it many times but I will epoxy the base to the tang.

It does not work so well with heavy recoiling rifles. You may get by for a while but it will loosen up.

With the sight on your rifle, center punch it, take off the sight, and the drill and tap it for the standard 3-36 screw that's on the originals. It will never hurt the value, especially in your lifetime. There was another post the other day on the same rifle and I posted a pic of my son's Browning src that I d & t for the tang sight.

BTW, that Mva sight looks like an original Marbles.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun, you are right. I've been looking at that tang sight and I think I will anchor it properly by D&Ting that front hole. Yes, this MVA tang sight seems to be pretty much identical to an original Marbles I have.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Real pretty carbine Kirk. That sight looks almost the same as the Marbles tang sight on my 1951 Winchester 94 30-30. Had it put on in 1958. When I ordered an aperture for it from Marbles a couple of months ago the man called it a vintage sight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
I forgot to mention your issue on the aperture hitting your glasses. I've been there and done that many times. Some of my glasses have a permanent pock mark right where the aperture smacked. On a '95 in 35 Winchester, with full power loads, that sight would about beat my head in.

There's 2 choices. #1 is to hold the gun tight in the shoulder and let your head rock back with the recoil. But we don't remember to do that all the time.

#2 is to grind and polish/cold blue the edge of the aperture and if your really good, you can get an 0 ring and split it so it will fit on the edge of the aperture. An easier thing is to go to the hardware store and buy a can of that rubber stuff that you dip tools in to rubber coat them. Dip it in and later carve out the excess.--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent advice and ideas. That rubber dip sounds especially good.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Kirk, is that particular sight spring loaded?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote:Excellent advice and ideas. That rubber dip sounds especially good.
The dip also comes in a spray form. You can build it up to the desired thickness fairly easily.

I have noticed a drastic change in my eyesight in the last year. Looks like I may have to try this solution!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Canuck Bob wrote:Kirk, is that particular sight spring loaded?
Yes it is.
KLNC
Levergunner

Post by KLNC »

Kirk, you mentioned you shot the sight at 100 yds. Do you have an idea of the maximum range of the sight, i.e 200, 300 or?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Forgive me for bumping this thread. I have this sight on a wish list for my 94 32 Special and am interested in your ongoing experience with this sight, Dirk. My 32 Special will most likely be a cast shooter.

I'm wondering about the glasses bumping and your evaluation since you have more time with it, please?