Does anyone make slip-on shoes that don't fall apart...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Does anyone make slip-on shoes that don't fall apart...???

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep buying shoes for 'casual' wear, which for me means:

Not for wear at the office - I keep shoes there I only wear there.
Not for weddings/funerals - I have a pair of 'dress' shoes for that.
Not for winter hunting - I have expensive and durable boots for that.
Not for garden/muck use - I have some 'mud-boots' for that.
Not for wading use - I have regular tall rubber boots, and hip-waders.

For just 'going out to get firewood', or a decent-weather hike, or a trip to the grocery.

Most of the shoes sold for such wear last me about three months; then the soles start collapsing (I HATE those hollow 'cushioned' soles - they are flimsy), or the rigid cup at the heel comes through the fabric or fake-leather or whatever, or seams come unstitched/unglued, etc. I really don't care that much about 'looks', and all the "high-end" ones I see in catalogs that claim to be so long-lasting are made in the same Chinese factories as the ones I've tried that fall apart, plus - all the 'testimonials' saying how tough they are and how long they've lasted seem to be written by retired yuppies who think that 'rough use' for a shoe is having to walk on their relative's nasty gravel driveway instead of asphalt once a year when they visit for Thanksgiving, or that a 'hike' means walking to the mail-box and back.

Is there a shoe that looks remotely like either of these, yet is seriously well-made...???

ImageImage

I already have a pair of these, and these, and these, and these...
ImageImageImageImage

. . . and I'm not saying anything about these. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Does anyone make slip-on shoes that don't fall apart...?

Post by Blaine »

You can stop by a RedWing dealer...that's good quality. I find I can get away with WalMart boots/shoes as long as I'm willing to get a premium insole liner.....I just got a pair of WalMart Herman Survivors...a pull on waterproof engineer boot of some sort. It's held up to everyday use for three months, and went hunting with me the last three days in extreme wet weather..One thing about WallyWorld is that no matter what, you can always take it back even if you have personally shredded them....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's only one....Redwings. After about 3 years of wearing a pair of Redwings, I keep them for really nasty jobs like driveway seal coating or digging ditches.

Then I have Redwings for work.

A pair of Redwings for gun shows

A pair of Redwings for shooting matches

Redwings for gunshop hopping. These last 4 pairs always look new.

But for hunting, I use American made Danners. They are all the way to the left. D ----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Man, I got burnt by Danner on two different products.....One was the Ft Lewis Boot. After about a year the GorTex went Teats-Up, and the best they could do was offer to rebuild them for nearly 160 bucks :evil: Another was a pair of their ankle high hiking shoes....the sole split, and they would not take them back after 9 months.....I don't care what their warranty says, that's bull-pelosi, and expensive shoes should not die that young :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Red Wings, I get a couple years Plus out of a pair with every day use. Price is a killer but no breakin needed. SAS is good.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Never had a pair of Redwing slipon boots, but I have a pair of Redwing Irishsetters (model 877) that I bought about 18 years ago. A local boot and saddle shop has rebuilt them 3 or 4 times but they sure do feel good when I lace them up.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Another vote for Red Wings. Expensive up front but you don't have to replace them every year.

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like Red Wing boots, but wanted something made in the U.S. if possible...

Is Viet Nam a good place in terms of shoe manufacture...?????
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I like Red Wing boots, but wanted something made in the U.S. if possible...

Is Viet Nam a good place in terms of shoe manufacture...?????
http://www.newbalance.com/Made-in-the-U ... lt,pg.html

I'm sorry to say that while I've bought several pair of these when I was doing Army PT, they didn't last any longer than the knock-offs I bought in Korea for a fraction of the price....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

They don't make 'em for my big feet but have you thought about Crocs?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

First step is to go to a Boot/Shoe store where they have to tools and expertise to Measure your feet properly, and let them fix you up with footwear that actually FITS your own feet..

For two decades in the Guiding/Outfitting business, I wore Whites or Hathornes packers - and in the snowy season, I had a pair of tall Whites uninsulated packs, with room for heavy wool sox & poly liners and a pair of Schnees insulated packs.. Nobody is harder on boots than a Wyoming big game guide, and yet my boots lasted me for years.. Wet, dry, frozen, baked over the fire at night... They survived.. I replaced my Whites packers after about a dozen years, and still have the Hathornes, as well as the Packs..

Pay attention to how you walk.. Most people take walking for granted but it really is an art and a science.. If you are tearin up shoe leather(?) that fast, you may need remedial bipedal locomotion training... :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My last three pair of slip-on work shoes for residential remodeling have been RedWing 6702. I recommend them. Hecho en China :(
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

FWIW

You could do a lot worse than try:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDBACK-Wate ... 43c04e640b

They are truly excellent boots and really waterproof. No more wet feet walking the paddocks.

Mick will look after you.

Cheers Mark

Sorry Doc, it would seem that "posting worlwide" excludes the US.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Keen Shoes, I can't possibly say enough good things about them. They fit and require no break in.

Good prices:

http://www.6pm.com/keen-shoes-on-sale~k ... tyle/desc/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Red Wings and Danner's are pretty good. The Danner's tend to have the soles get kinda slippery on snow,ice after about a year of wear.
Gortex Strikers.
The Red Wings are good in that dept. but my last pair the gortex went south after about a year. Their 8" Gortex Work boot.Same problem with Rocky.

What I have found works the best for myself.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -knee-boot

$19

Here is my reasons, and actually price isn't the factor.
I am constantly in and out and up here in the winter in the woods, etc. snow and ice hangs around, My dogs are always in and out and I don't leave them out nor do I let them run loose. So, I want a boot that when one goes to the sliding door I want immediate on and off.
I have three pair, the first pair just stepping out of my sliding door into enclosed porch.
The second pair I sit on top of a bench also just outside sliding door, these are like the first pair but they each have in their soles 6 hex headed screws spread at specific points and these being in length less than total sole thickness. These provide ultimate traction on anything slick. Walking up a ice sheened driveway or bank no problem. I have found NO boots to do that and any of those clip on or pull over Ice do dads claiming to work to me su##.

The third and final pair the regular type as in the first pair I keep in walk-out basement so when coming in and out that way its immediate on and off and again just enter cellar door and slip them off. No carrying boots around, no tracking up stuff,and the ultimate on ice with the one pair. Just do not forget with the screwed boots and walk into wood floor inside etc.

You should get easy two years wear with those maybe more. for $57 in total cost, excluding tax plus cost of a few hex headed screws. It takes about 30 seconds to screw 6 in each boot sole with drill. Also I have found getting the pair you use for hunting which usually I use the screwed ones because of steep slippery banks etc. they grip even in dirt and leaves and moss etc. get that pair one size up. Then I use the RedHead Lifetime $9 socks. Two pair, warrantied for life and feet stay warm and dry. I have tried everything up here and here this solution works best for me.
People say, your wearing farmer boots ? I smile and say, sure am! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:The second pair I sit on top of a bench also just outside sliding door, these are like the first pair but they each have in their soles 6 hex headed screws spread at specific points and these being in length less than total sole thickness. These provide ultimate traction on anything slick. Walking up a ice sheened driveway or bank no problem. I have found NO boots to do that and any of those clip on or pull over Ice do dads claiming to work to me su##.
Now THAT is a cool idea... 8)

These Keene 'Dillon Slip-Ons' look like what I need (I already have plenty of tough 'boot' type shoes), but . . . seems like most of the ones like this I find locally have HOLLOW soles, so they are 'cushiony' but wear out very quickly.
http://www.6pm.com/keen-dillon-slip-on-black-olive

I suppose I could buy them and send them back if they are hollow/wimpy...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

After years of being required to use made in china junk "safety" shoes/boots at work, I partially tore my left acchilles tendon. this made My life a living hell. finely I got a pair of Redwing boots and they are worth every penny. I fly under the radar when the safety people come out to play.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Man, I just can't dig the half way up ankle shoes. When you put them on to me they look hooooooky! :lol:
Sebago Docksides or Birkenstock Betulas better?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Get a pair of pink Crocs and go to town :)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok, Got a call about our Keystoker Koker Stoker from wife wondering if they are there today to install everything.
They delivered it last week and went over some stuff but actual install of everything is this week.

So, she is a big shoe person, I mean hiking, running and all that stuff, weightlifting nope! :D

I mentioned you Doc, She said look for a Vasque mid Boot, get one that even ties but simply leave it a tad loose tied but just slip it on/off but for hiking most anything you still have an option to tighten it for a secure fit to prevent twisted ankles etc.She likes Vibram Soles etc.

Think she means something like this??

Did say, that you want good traction and support whatever you get, and said be careful with my recommendations cause I am kinda cheap.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vasque-B ... 570365.uts

not cheap, like to call myself frugal! :D
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Try Keen or Merrell. They both have several models of heavier duty slip on type shoes, and are very comfortable. I have a pair of Patagonia slip ons that I am currently wearing daily. I absolutely love them, but I don't think they are as heavy duty as you are looking for.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another +1 for Merrells. Look no further. Their "jungle moc" is all I wear anymore 'cept for heavy hiking or winter, weddings and funerals. Two types of soles depending on exterior shoe material, one a broadly ribbed type I prefer for all but snow/ice. The more aggressive type (finer lugs or sipes) is a major dog poo attractor/a pita to clean out if that's an issue but it is more secure on the white or slick stuff. If you've got dogs in a traditional yard set up, you'll want the milder tread pattern! They also have a specifically winter variant--still a low top-- that's a bear (comparatively) to get on and off but works. Warmer, waterproof (or resistant) and keeps incidental snow out. These have more aggressive, finer sipes etc. I've got all three types. When I go up north in the winter, those types go along "just because" but don't get much use unless prolonged forays outside in the cold and white stuff.. Otherwise, the more 3 season (4 in the desert) milder tread type gets 90% duty. The middle (3 season but semi-aggressive sole) type are equally comfortable and seem to be the more prevalent variety you'll see out there.
Once you have a pair of jungle mocs, you'll wonder forever more why did I ever own a tie shoe for daily wear?

In reading some of the responses, further splanation is in order. The above-described "Jungle Mocs" are not what I'd take hiking, incuding a long "day" hike (as I'd define by needing a small backpack), certainly not any "serious" hunting trek except for 'round the camp wear. Very light day hikes--more like casual woodswalking--would be fine. I'm heavy enough myself that I need more support for anything beyond, but that's me. For someone considerably lighter can get away with more, or I should say less. But for what I understood the OP wanted (versus what he already had covered), they would seem to fit the bill perfectly. They're not "heavy duty" but are certainly no "crocs" - as said, I wear them for virtually everything short of a "real" hike.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
The pair of Redwings I currently have on are 1 and a half years old and are used 5 days a week at work and until I take em off at the end of the day. My other Redwings still look new (4 years to 2 weeks old) but don't get the same rough treatment.

Redwings are available all over the place

Wear your Redwings for 6 months or 6 years and stop in ANY Redwing store and they will reoil them and put in new shoelaces.

Redwings, like Danners are made here and in China. 3 pairs of mine are made here and the other two in squinty eye land. The USA ones are definitely better, cost more, but the China ones are nothing to sneeze at.

I refuse to wear anything else. At work, the shoe truck comes once a year and I don't even bother to collect on their junk.

An old wise man once told me....and probably many others here...........Always buy the best shoes and mattress's you can afford as the way you feel throughout the day will more than make up for heir cost.----------------6

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can't really do lace-up boots, because I'll sometimes have to go in and out of the house ten or twenty times in a few hours, and "no shoes in the house" is the rule...
If you've got dogs in a traditional yard set up, you'll want the milder tread pattern!
Now that's a comment born of experience...! Nothing like having to poke a stick through all the grooves that the traditional 'boot brush' misses, then use a garden hose, and 'repeat until clean'. Sometimes I think dogs should come with a cork...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Sometimes I think dogs should come with a cork...
Ha! You guys know we have plenty of dogs, but......they are Yorkies which leave turds about the same size of the inner tread on the Vibram soles. In the summertime, the turds dry out about the same size of Tootsie Rolls and a pry bar is sometimes needed.

Then there are the horses. Humongous turds but they don't have the same stink. Either way, I have to keep a high pressure hose nozzle at the back door and those Redwings get a daily squirt down.

Oh, the cats.....at least they bury their stuff but in the wintertime when the ground is hard they have the occasional habit of dropping their load on the garage floor, usually next to the door of the Jeep where I walk to on dark mornings on the way to my 10 cent job.

That's ok though. I'll take an animals sh*t any day over the 2 legged predators s**t that's forced upon me everyday either through work or the government. Sure smells better.-----6

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ain't cheap but about tops in quality and they do look very good on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zq4NnQBHHg

If too rich for the blood then

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-merrell ... p_id317647
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

AJMD429 you will not find Keen shoes to be wimpy in any way! I speak from a lifetime of wearing steel toed work boots and having many years of foot problems and a number of surgeries in addition. I have 2 pair of Keens, one is the Tacoma work boot which is the most comfortable pair of work boots I have ever worn. The other is the Targhee Mid which is extremely comfortable and very warm. Why do I only have 2 pair of Keens? Well I just discovered them a couple of years ago and still have plenty of shoes/boots though I am going to buy a pair of these in the next few days: Keen Newport Boat Shoe http://www.6pm.com/keen-newport-boat-shoe-bison. After taking a second look at the Keen Dillons you posted a photo of I'm tempted to buy a pair of those too specially at $50 delivered. Keen's method of wrapping the sole up around the heel and toe provides extremely good toe protection without a steel toe, not the equal of a steel toe though.