Which era firearms to buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Which era firearms to buy?

Post by 86er »

I am interested in acquiring some more rifles, handguns and shotguns. For personal reasons I am interested in circa 1947 and 1970. There was quite a bit of change during those 2 decades! For a firearm to be shot regularly with modern ammo (or reloads), what is your favorite era and why?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which era firearms to buy?

Post by Pete44ru »

I like the .250 Savage 99EG from the late 40's to the early 50's, because of it's classic styling, smooth ops, and an easy-to-handle chambering - and no tang safety.

I also like the early Ruger Model 77-RSI, in either .250 or .308, again for the styling & handling. (Strangely enough, I like the tang safety on these ! )

A .22LR Winchester Model 52C Sporting Rifle wouldn't be hard to take, either !

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If it is spelled G U N , I like it. Gotta have some tradin material.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

All the military classic Com-Bloc and Middle Eastern semi-auto rifless....SKS, AK, Tokerov, Hakim, Rashid, etc.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I like Marlin's that are Pre 1973 . I like Remington 700's that are Pre 1990 , I like Winchesters that are Pre 64 and I like Parker's , Fox's an LC Smith's that are Pre War .
Euro guns that are Pre War I likes also .
I'm also quite partial to Ruger #1's date of manufacture is not as important with these although I do prefer to get the earlier ones with the red recoil pads .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've never been a bolt fan unless it was stamped Lee Enfield but there are some truly interesting bolt guns from the receiver sight era prior to WW2 I think. When I see pictures of early Winchester 70s with a peep and a stock designed for it they just look right. Another era was the rifle/cartridge combo for levers starting IMO with the 444 and Remington and Marlin. The era to make the lever relevant again. It spawned some interesting developments like the 45/70 guide gun, various 307,308,356,358 rimmed cartridges and new ammo development over many decades. I guess the another era is the Ruger era I call it. Good firearms from the stamped steel and investment casting move sadly most recognized in the pre-64 line of Winchesters or the wildly successful black rifle trend. Last the most important modern era is the Cowboy Action competition that put 19th century gun designs and iron sights on the map again (the pistol cartridge rifle) and revived many forms of guns from lever shotguns to coach doubles.

My personal list would be contemporary centerfire levers after putting some thought into this. A savage 99 or two, BLRs different models, Winchester 88, Sako Finnwolf (the one I drool over), and the likes of the Ruger 96/44 (another drooler for me). Basically I differentiate by the tube mag or spitzer capability (ignoring the FTX bullets).
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

86er wrote:I am interested in acquiring some more rifles, handguns and shotguns. For personal reasons I am interested in circa 1947 and 1970. There was quite a bit of change during those 2 decades! For a firearm to be shot regularly with modern ammo (or reloads), what is your favorite era and why?
Marlin 39a. Hands down.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am becoming a real fan of the 1950's Marlins. Old enough to be cool, not old enough that your afraid to shoot them, good craftsmanship, slick actions,modern calibers, and NOT PRICED AT WINCHESTER LEVELS. You can still find these relatively often(here in PA, anyway) and still a bit of history. OH YEAH AND THEY SHOOT WELL. I have one or two...uhm err uh :wink: Yeah one or two thats it,(Mrs Fordwannabe is sitting close)!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I Like any of the Browning reproduction rifles and shotguns like the M86 M95 M71 M92 M42 etc. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1910-1925 Winchester 1894s. .30-30 only, although I really want a .32-40TD. Every time I've crossed paths with one, funds were non-existant... at least in the quantities the seller wanted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As much as I'm becoming intrigued with ARs, no other firearm excites me as much.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

6pt-sika +++++
"That'll Be The Day"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:1910-1925 Winchester 1894s. .30-30 only, although I really want a .32-40TD.
I had a Marlin 1893 of 1906 vintage that was in 32-40 . Gun had a half round half octagon barrel . Thing shot wonderfully with the RCBS 32-170GC and Lyman 321297 bullets .

Some fellow in England wanted it more then I wanted to keep it so it resides across the pond now !

I did however happen to kill a 3 point whitetail with it one year before it left me !

Of the original Marlin 1893 - Winchester 1894 cartridges 25-36/25-35 , 30-30 , 32-40 , 32 Special and 38-55 I have always liked the 32-40 the most !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

fordwannabe wrote:I am becoming a real fan of the 1950's Marlins. Old enough to be cool, not old enough that your afraid to shoot them, good craftsmanship, slick actions,modern calibers, and NOT PRICED AT WINCHESTER LEVELS. You can still find these relatively often(here in PA, anyway) and still a bit of history. OH YEAH AND THEY SHOOT WELL. I have one or two...uhm err uh :wink: Yeah one or two thats it,(Mrs Fordwannabe is sitting close)!
I found if you got away from Philly , Pitt and Harrisburg out in the country you could find alot of older guns as you say !

However .......................... A good many of the nice old guns I saw up there had passed down thru a couple generations and had been Pennsylvanized . IE changes had been made so they weren't factory original . For the shooter or hunter thats no big deal but for a person like myself that collects as well as using them to shoot and hunt that doesn't work as well .

There was or still is a place in Hughesville close to Williansport called "Dugans Gunshop" . They always had a pile of old collectible firearms . And down in Newville PA Shuman's is still around . Also Perry County Guns !
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

I love 60's and 70s Marlins for sentimental reasons and those were decades when Marlin was really in its stride. Will look at any JM Marlin, though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

+1 on the 99s though those years.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

fordwannabe wrote:I am becoming a real fan of the 1950's Marlins. Old enough to be cool, not old enough that your afraid to shoot them, good craftsmanship, slick actions,modern calibers, and NOT PRICED AT WINCHESTER LEVELS. You can still find these relatively often(here in PA, anyway) and still a bit of history. OH YEAH AND THEY SHOOT WELL. I have one or two...uhm err uh :wink: Yeah one or two thats it,(Mrs Fordwannabe is sitting close)!
preach it brother...your speaking where i live...i recently bought a Glenield 30A which is turning out to be my favorite 336 configuration... :)
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Tough one. For shotguns, (doubles) I lean to pre-war. Some excellent steel, great wood/metal work, different dimensions of stocks etc, and have never had an issue with any older guns. Love the 50's, 60's and early 70's Auto 5's.
Rifles, Well, I do not own any pre-war, cant speak on that, but the 50's and 60's (maybe early 70's vintage on some, like savage 99, Marlin) are pretty hard to beat.

I think mostly it is because of the better workmanship, USA still had pride in building things. Whether true or preception, I have more confidence in the post era guns up to maybe 73 or 74.
cooter303
Levergunner

Post by cooter303 »

for shotguns it has to be a winchester model 25, or m12,or m97. rifle has to be a lever action the older the better. and old single shot 22s, pre ww2. I have 11 guns in my safe. the newest being a Chiappa 22 revolver. my m25 would be next. every thing else is pre 1920 down to the civil war era.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A wide range for me personally - depends on the firearm. Mostly 73 to now of what I am currently owning. 50s for the 99, 85 on for Winchester. Ruger R77, Smith - 60s, Colt - 3rd Generation.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Between the WWs I and II (1920-1940), would love to own some leverguns and American SxSs especially a Parker or A.H. Fox.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have to say I dig the older stuff, with not all being extremely old.

1940's - 1960's

Took a early 1940's SA M1 to school sometimes and I liked that. (even on school bus)
Took a mid 1960's Anschutz 1411 to school sometimes and I liked that too. (even on school bus)

Every time I pick up a late 1940's Sig P210-1 I excessively drool.

Tried to trade "guns" for a friends late 1960's Ruger #1 in .264 Win Mag and he said no! :cry:

Carried a Pre 1964 Model 94 Win in .32 Special some much hunting in the rugged Mountains in Bradford County, Pa that it carried me.

Course in my dreams at night when all he## is coming down on me it's a Vintage 1886 Win in 45-70 that sooths my spirit. :wink:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I love my old stuff but shoot it less now and try to keep the volume down with them. For lots of shootin with less worry I like 50's-70's Marlins, Browning 92's, a mid 80's 94 trapper, and lots of project guns I've built. Those are always fun and give lots of enjoyment.
I was never much into bolts but have been using them more the last couple years for the experience. Really like the Ruger GSR and my project 03A3.
For hanguns my 1911's get more use than anything by far. I'm more apt to shoot the repro SAA than my 1st gen original. Enjoy my 629 and 66 Smith's too.
My old doubles are seeing fewer rounds and been playing with an 870 in 20ga with a 21" barrel. Once in a while my early mod 12 20ga but mostly cause my son likes it.
With the semi's its as its always been, lots of M1A use with a smattering of M1&M1carbine thrown in.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

86er,
Shotgun first: Winchester Model 12, you could get all three gauges and a Model 42 to go with them. I grew up with a 16, 26" Full.
Rifle: Savage 99, either a 300 Savage or 250/3000. Probably should be an F.
Pistol: Colt SAA, I really like the 44-40 but for something more modern either .357 or 44 Special and it should be a 2nd generation. Best metallurgy and workmanship of all, I think. I favor the 4 3/4" barrel length but 5 1/2 is ok.
All of these hold their value really well except for the model 12 which can be had for really great prices the last few years. I suppose because it won't handle steel shot.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My favorite era doesn't qualify under the "modern" requirement, but it is the period from 1873 to 1899, and the Colt percussion cap & ball revolver period from 1836 - 1872. :D
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Not so much vintage, but design. I like a Marlin pistol caliber short action (1888,1889 & 1894) and the Winchester toggle links and 1892. In a shotgun, it's a recoil operated autoloader preferably a 16 gauge (Browning A-5, Remington 11 & 11-48).

Pistols my favorite is the Remington 1858 cap and ball.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I walk what I talk. In the last two weeks 2 marlin 336A's and a model 39 have followed me home.... and an italian repro C&B revolver, but he threw it in for $30 bucks more on the 39. :mrgreen: . Marlins are not 1886 winchesters but for a fun gun with a little history :?: :?: :?:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BigSky56 wrote:I Like any of the Browning reproduction rifles and shotguns like the M86 M95 M71 M92 M42 etc. danny
BigSky,

You sure did tell the truth. Those guns are tops !

Don
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

For the Revolver - For me - the early years of the Colt Single Action Army 2nd Generation. 1956-1959. Classic lines and times. Listen to it as you slowly draw the hammer back.
Just picked up another one for 900. Cleaned her up and wow. Of the 45LC, 38 Special, 357 Magnum and the 44 Special calibers, 38 Special is the one I am drawn to.
Although I was just a babe back when they were being produced, that was a great time period for our family and kinfolk that extended from Oklahoma to Kansas to Missouri.

OkD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have to love a gun in order to hunt or compete with it. The AR's, M1-A's, AK's, and hi-cap 9's and 45's are "tools" so I dont love therm, but are needed. (unless its a WW1 or 2 1911 or any pre-war Colt)

The steel started getting better around 1880 and progressed even better in the 1890's with Winchester's nickel steel and Marlin's Smokeless powder steel. Craftsmanship in fit and finish was at it's height so thats the era I prefer, 1880---to about 1910 and up to ww1.

Never did notice any better accuracy in modern guns (normal leverguns) as compared to the old ones as long as the old ones had good smooth barrels. Longevity is also no better in modern guns as long as loads are kept normal in the old ones as they can be beat up rather fast with stupid load.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like 50s & 60s era S&W revolvers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.