First hunt with .358-30/30 w/ deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

First hunt with .358-30/30 w/ deer

Post by 86er »

So this morning I sat in a tower blind overlooking a natural pasture where the wooded edge of the creek borders our property. This spot had some bucks on camera photos in the evening but there has not been any in a few weeks and never in the morning, so I was not totally enthused but was working with what time and wind I had to consider. At 7:45 I figured there has never been a deer at this spot captured in a photo at this time of morning. I urinated in my medical waste bottle and sealed the lid, and as I sat back down I bumped the doe bleat call in my pocket. I turned the call twice and heard the baaah, baaaah just barely echo. I looked out and saw a doe run into the clearing ahead. Rats, I thought as we cannot shoot does and have antler restrictions of 13" spread or one unbranched antler on our property. I made sure the Henry was not cocked and I peered through the Leupold 7X scope to see if the doe might actually be a "spike" - for what I don't know as even if it was I wasnt going to shoot it. Suddenly, the doe made a hissing noise and looked behind her. I could see vapor coming out of her mouth as she exhaled rapidly. She stomped the ground and walked in a tight circle, then looked behind her again. Out of nowhere a buck ran up to her and put his front hoof on her back. I moved the reticle to his shoulder as I yanked back the hammer and "Boom". At just less than 100 yards the deer filled a lot of the scope and the reticle was steady so I knew I hit him in spite of a visible reaction. I walked down to where he stood and saw where my bullet dug a little trench into the ground. The downward angle and distance made the bullet leave a 2 foot skidmark in the soft earth. I dug around but did not find the bullet. I soon found some thick, bright blood and followed it. Just 20 yards away the buck was lying dead in a little ditch. The 200 grain Core-Lokt bullet was aimed just behind the shoulder but ended up hitting right on the point of the shoulder. The exit was the size of a dime and behind the shoulder on the other side. The shot had destroyed both lungs. Based on the primary molars that are indeed fused but still show the faint line where they were once two separate teeth this deer is 3.5 yrs old. He's not one of the whoppers I've seen in person and on film but after 21 days of bow hunting without a kill it was nice to fill the freezer on my first day of rifle hunting with this 8 pt - 14" buck. Oh yeah, and I am really enjoying this Henry rifle and the 35-30/30 cartridge. That's not my usual Greeley Hat either, that's my Akubra that Pete Richards from AU sent me.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First hunt with .358-30/30 w/ deer

Post by Nath »

Very good Joe, nice write up :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Joe.
Nath wrote:Very good Joe, nice write up :)
Nath.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Pretty rack. Congrats
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice lookin rack Joe.

I can't believe that round never went commercial?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice. Glad to know that the wildcat did its job.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like the rifle and round worked just fine. I do like that hat looks like it sets good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

She stomped the ground and walked in a tight circle, then looked behind her again. Out of nowhere a buck ran up to her and put his front hoof on her back. I moved the reticle to his shoulder as I yanked back the hammer and "Boom".
Aww, you didn't let the poor bastard finish his job!? :shock:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KWK wrote:
She stomped the ground and walked in a tight circle, then looked behind her again. Out of nowhere a buck ran up to her and put his front hoof on her back. I moved the reticle to his shoulder as I yanked back the hammer and "Boom".
Aww, you didn't let the poor bastard finish his job!? :shock:
i was thinking the same thing, but since this is a family program i wasn't going to mention it...glad you did... :)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Nice work Joe, I've been following your 35 cal Henry concept, good to see it in action. I really like my '94 Big Bore in .356 & BLR in .358, I picked up a Marlin in 35 Remington over there last year but have not been able to try it out yet as I have not been able to get any brass here in Australia. Will pick some up next March while I am over there.
The hat looks good mate, people will think your an Aussie wearing an Akubra.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Outstanding job. Nice buck and I like that Henry. Congrats!

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin