THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Post by Rusty »

Since this is the start of Veteran's Day Weekend I wanted to thank you all who served and are serving for your service to our country. Nothing political, just a thank you from the bottom of my heart.

A friend sent me this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoABty_zE00

May you all have a blessed weekend with your friends and family.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Post by Griff »

I've seen that several times... still makes my eyes leak. Thanks Rusty.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nuts cant watch it on the crappy internet here. Thanks Rusty and to you too.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No thanks necessary. My 20 years were a privilege to me. (And a heck of a lot more fun than the next 20 working for civilians!!) I'd gladly do them over again. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you to all my brethren who served.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

We remember in my house to say thanks for our ally and neighbour. It is also Remembrance Day weekend here. I think of all the Canadian and British soldiers lost as well.

To the service men and women from the recent wars your service and sacrifice is special because you keep my family and country safe today. Thanks for standing on that wall and a special prayer for the loved ones of soldiers lost.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

dittos to the servicemen AND their families
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

As Blaine says, sometimes those 20 years were the best years. Lots of years in CivPac weren't as much fun as my Navy time.

Here's a picture that really bends & warps my military mind. This picture was taken this past September at the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, CA. That's my car in the center, the dark blue 1974 BMW 2002.
What is mind-bending is that exactly 39 years ago, when I was just starting my Naval career, I bought that car and parked it in exactly that same parking lot.

What I cannot figure out is how those 39 years flew by .... but there's the car to prove that it did.

Cheers,

Carl
retired Navy Seabee
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yes thank you and I too would do it all again. It was my honor to serve 21 years. Blessings to all who served, and to those allies overseas who also served.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I did 3.5 years before getting too dinged up. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:I did 3.5 years before getting too dinged up. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.
You are who we owe the thanks.....I was lucky enough to emerge just about intact, for the most part. I don't know anyone that did 20 or more and still has a back, knees, or shoulders....Great teeth, though :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

3 years active, many more reserves; those 3 active were near the top of the best years of my life..... it really was a PRIVILEDGE !
cable
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I agree no thanks necessary, I was getting paid to do things I would have to pay some else to let me do. MY 29 years 11 months was a great 95% of the time. Where else would I get to play like this:

I am still lucky enough to be training kids to try to help them from getting hurt from IEDs when they deploy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

All I ended up with was some stiff knees. I'm still fit enough to do a lot of other jobs.

Friend of mine, due to bad training pre-war by the USMC, took a round in the spine in Iraq, 2003. He shot one guy, shot the second, the guy fell back into a door and he didn't confirm he was down. Went to reload, guy popped out and shot him, went through the side of his armor. He shot him again (and again, and again, and again) from the ground before the medics could get to him.

He's in a chair for life. He stills trains for defense, hunts, and has a hot girlfriend. If he doesn't complain......I sure have no right to.

I used to work in the video game business, primarily surrounded by hippy types. A few of us evened that out though (the night Osama got whacked, my supervisor was a Bronze star recipient, 2006, and one of his other junior supervisor types jumped into Iraq with the 173rd) and fairly frequently I had guys ask either 1. do you regret it or 2. would you do it again

I generally answered, if they had something of a clue that there were good days, horribly bad days, and a couple very, very good days they'd never get to learn about (the joys of classification) and while I had made my peace with getting out before I wanted to, given the chance to arm up, stand guard mount and roll out again one last time on patrol, even with a couple guys I didn't care for much....

I would pay much. Won't happen, but in some ways, you still miss some things. No matter how screwed up some days got, it was worth it.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Blaine
In '74 I was in West Germany (Nike Hercules, Fischbach), and used to see those 2002 BMR's all the time. They were the hot ticket then. Just a little nicer and faster than the 1954 VW I was driving. Heck I bet you could see at night with your headlights. Not like those 6V jobs I had. :lol:

People in my back seat used to ask if my lights were on at night. I also never ventured into the left lane on the Autobahn.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My thanks to all who served. Many vets in my family. This week my boy and I helped the American Legion mow the grass and set out 300 flags in the county cemeteries. Yesterday after the parade (I was the M.C.) I was proud to watch all 5 members of my family serve chili and cornbread and cherry cobbler at the veterans fundraiser. The American Legion guys and gals are a great bunch of folks.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Griff wrote:I've seen that several times... still makes my eyes leak. Thanks Rusty.
must have been some smoke near my laptop...my eyes were...well you know...thank you to all who serve(d)... :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Hard to believe it's been nearly 47 years ...

Blessings to all veterans .. those still serving and those who have gone before.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT, I take it you ferried some brass around in that.

I remember standing as PO of the watch in Subic Bay on our lowly DDG when a long low, Caddilac staff car pulled up... 5 stars on the little flags on the front corners... This LT gets out with a briefcase and walks up the gangplank, salutes the colors and asks permission to come aboard... When I say Welcome aboard and ask the nature of his visit, he tells, me that CINCPACFLT is transferring his command to the Somers; I guess my jaw dropped, as he explained that the Admiral was required to be "aboard" the largest warship in the harbor... but not to fret, he was actually on the golf course.

After sending for the runner, "dinging" CINCPACFLT aboard and announcing his arrival; I still remember the cussin' I started to take from the OOD who ran down to the quarderdeck to chew my butt in person! When the LT, with the aiguillette simply told him, "...lay off LT, no joke..., can you show me to the wardroom," HIS jaw dropped!

Biggest mistake was my NOT staying in... but the little woman said she missed me...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Rusty,
Thank you for the video.

Many thanks to all who have served .....

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

To all that served a Thank You. All my Heroes died in RVN may they RIP, 34 men passed away on 10 May 72 when a blade retaining pin failed on a Ch47 at 2000' 5 crew and 29 grunts crew were 362nd Avn Bn, troopers were 2/8 Cav skull plt. A Co 1/12 Cav and 11 ACR Dark Horse. My friend was a crew member on that bird when I got to the crash site it was unbelievable. Terry I'll see you at fiddlers green my friend. danny
Neiss_Terry_D_DOB_1951_1.jpg