Beam me a .45, Scotty

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

Beam me a .45, Scotty

Post by bdhold »

http://www.guns.com/2013/11/07/solid-co ... 911-video/
Solid Concepts is taking 3D printing over a threshold with their just-announced 3D printed stainless steel handgun. A 1911, the Solid Concepts pistol is chambered for full-power centerfire .45 ACP cartridges.

The company is out to prove a point, that 3D printing has reached a level of maturity and precision that they can make a traditional firearm with the leading-edge technologies. Naturally, they are working with industrial-scale 3D printers, not the types of devices hobbyists have at home.

“Solid Concepts is a world leader of 3D printing services, and our ability to 3D print the world’s first metal gun solidifies our standing,” explained Alyssa Parkinson in the company announcement. “The gun is a classic 1911, a model that is at once timeless and public domain. It functions beautifully: Our resident gun expert has fired 50 successful rounds and hit a few bull’s eyes at over 30 yards. The gun is composed of 30-plus 3D printed components with 17-4 stainless steel and Inconel 625 materials. We completed it with a selective laser sintered (SLS) 3D-printed hand grip, because we’re kind of crazy about 3D printing.”
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Beam me a .45, Scotty

Post by piller »

I am curious about the strength of the material it is made from. I just don't know much of anything about 3D printing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

According to the video, the strength is there, the reason making for the "printed" 1911 was to show strength. guess with the right equipment any firearm can be "cloned", mebbe an historic gun no longer available or a gun not legal by ATF standards?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Don't worry. The at will nip it in the bud ASAP
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The Company has a Manufacturing FFL, just for the purpose of "printing" guns and gun parts.. All strictly legal...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool that it's becoming "information" rather than "parts" that is the hurdle - despots have a much harder time controlling information than physical things. :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ever closer to the replicator.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

piller wrote:I am curious about the strength of the material it is made from. I just don't know much of anything about 3D printing.
http://www.hoganas.com/Documents/Publis ... _steel.pdf
here's an article on sintered (powder metal) 17-4PH.
Compared to machined bar, strength is similar, but toughness is lower because sintering doesn't achieve "theoretical density" - i.e., it has voids and inclusions.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds useful. Thanks Bulldog.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost