22 rimfire at Cheaper Than Dirt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

22 rimfire at Cheaper Than Dirt

Post by WinM71 »

Cheaper Than Dirt has CCI AR Tactical in the 375rd bulk box for, gulp, $99.59 per. Who says some dealers aren't there to help us out???? These are a good solid $14.50 value. I think I ordered from them once years ago, certainly won't make the mistake again.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 rimfire at Cheaper Than Dirt

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They can keep it!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

CTD was one of the worst gougers. They have gotten the last dollar from me that they will ever, ever get. Nor will I grace the doors of either of their establishments again. So say most of my local gun acquaintances.

We have a local gun store and a local reloading supplier that, while not as cheap as mail order, stock things I need at a reasonable markup. I will continue to patronize their stores and hope they stay in business.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cabelas in Lacy didn't gouge one cent.....my LGSs did......poof on the gougers....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've recently noticed prices have gone up a little on 22's, even from a couple months ago, but nothing like sone have charged. Wal mart had 22 shorts for a bit over $4/50 today. I bought some a couple months ago for $3.77/50 I think. Didnt buy any today, but they had more ammo of nearly every type on the shelf than has been the case for a while.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not to comment on either CTD or other dealers but the ammo and firearms shortage is literally killing some gun stores. No product, no sales, no profit and no business.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Going price at last weeks gun show in York, Pa. was 55 a brick.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

What the ******!!!!!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

One of our local pawn shop/gun stores sends two employees to Walmart at 7am each day to wait for WM to put the ammo out...then they buy every single box of .22, 9mm, and .45acp three boxes at a time.

Then they sell it at their store for criminal prices. I hope they enjoy their temporary windfall, because when people's appetite is sated, they won't pay those prices. Those of us who consume ammo all the time (not just when it's in style) will not be shopping at that store and I hope they do go bankrupt. They contribute nothing positive to our local market anyway.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Today Rural King here in Hamilton had Rem. .22short @$4.99/50, .22mag and .17cal were both $19.99/50. I did not buy any.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Besides their gouging and caving, their shipping charges are outrageous. Was going to order 4 small and medium surplus bags. The tally came $13.50, Shipping came to $24sumthing. :? Yep what a deal huh :roll:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Noticed CTD had these at $100/brick.
fun to shoot, but I paid $22 for the last brick I bought of these.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Going price at last weeks gun show in York, Pa. was 55 a brick.----6
In the early 70's, I would pay $9.99 a 'brick', so with inflation taken into account, the price should actually be around $50-60 a brick now; we had an artificially low price a decade ago.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Dirt has gotten very expensive in the last 6 years. :o :x :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good point Ji !

cost per shot, INCLUDING gas or postage, and taxes, is the most realistic way to compare prices.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

AJMD429 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Going price at last weeks gun show in York, Pa. was 55 a brick.----6
In the early 70's, I would pay $9.99 a 'brick', so with inflation taken into account, the price should actually be around $50-60 a brick now; we had an artificially low price a decade ago.
What about the decade ago prices were artificial? That was the going rate at the time, which seems to me made the prices natural. and granted, we've had high inflation over recent years, but not that much!
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

I used to work down the street from Cheaper Than Dirt... We called 'em "Cheaper than Dirt With Texas Mineral Rights"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

What about the decade ago prices were artificial? That was the going rate at the time, which seems to me made the prices natural. and granted, we've had high inflation over recent years, but not that much!
well, yes, actually THAT much.

every month the fed is "buying" T-bills that the treasury "borrows" from the Fed, to the tune of a BILLION DOLLARS. Get it?

It's the dotgovt PONZIE SCHEME that is not just a house of cards, it is a house of rotten indonesian cards built on a foundation of chinese fake cotton candy.

and yes, all that fakely printed money IS INFLATION by definition, it is inflating the money supply, which reduces the buying power of each and every dollar that crosses your palm.

it gets worse because those billions of dollars get booked as loans against YOUR WALLET.

so, there we have it then
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Add in the fact that every time someone uses a credit card or takes out a loan, it also "creates" money that didn't exist before. It'll be the Weimar Republic all over again eventually. $1,000,000 stick of gum, anyone?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Not to mention those who default on their debts. A guy at work just declared bankruptcy to avoid paying back $78,000 in credit card debt. He has a house, new furniture, bought a new car, and a big 401K - on a day when the market goes up he brags about making $800 or so.

Just can't handle paying for all that furniture he bought on credit.

And his tone is "poor me, I can't pay it, I haven't had a raise, they cut our hours, gas went up, etc".

By the way, when there's work to do, he's a slacker. Who would have guessed?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Washita wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
I guess it depends on where you are. In the mid 70s I was payin $5.00 a brick for Standard velocity .22LR. I have a brick from the mid 80s with a $8.70 price tag on it. $9.95 is what I was paying a decade ago for a box of 500-550. One of our "shortages" drove prices to $20 and they finally fell back to $14.95. I doubt we'll see that for awhile unless the glut really does sate all the hoarders and people just stop buying.
Last edited by vancelw on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You wrote in the mid 70's I was paying 500.00 a brick for long rifle standard velocity.
Did you really pay that much?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote:You wrote in the mid 70's I was paying 500.00 a brick for long rifle standard velocity.
Did you really pay that much?
:lol: Fixed it. Pesky decimal points! You'd think I worked in government accounting :!:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:? I thought I slept through that decade.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Grizz wrote:
well, yes, actually THAT much.

every month the fed is "buying" T-bills that the treasury "borrows" from the Fed, to the tune of a BILLION DOLLARS. Get it?

It's the dotgovt PONZIE SCHEME that is not just a house of cards, it is a house of rotten indonesian cards built on a foundation of chinese fake cotton candy.

and yes, all that fakely printed money IS INFLATION by definition, it is inflating the money supply, which reduces the buying power of each and every dollar that crosses your palm.

it gets worse because those billions of dollars get booked as loans against YOUR WALLET.

so, there we have it then
You forgot to address the question of ammo being "artificially low priced" in years gone by. And while I agree on the fed printing money 'way beyond reason, (in fact, they don't even have to print it, they do it with the stroke of a pen.), prices have not gone up 500% in the last 10 years.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how were ammo prices artificially low? the makers felt sorry for the buyers? the dealers felt guilty about their markup? how is the price of anything ever "artificially low" unless there is some dotgovt interference in the market? was the govt depressing the retail ammo market?

kind of a strange concept, and a new one on me. I'm interested in learning more about it.

prices did go up 500% and more in the panic driven markets when they were peaking

watching the economy is more like looking at the surface of the sea over time than the charts indicate

Grizz
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

of course 10 1970 dollars is $60 today.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

bulldog1935 wrote:of course 10 1970 dollars is $60 today.
that's pretty close to what I was saying in the oarlock case. now the missing element is that wages have not kept up, by a long shot.

anyway the illigitimate-in-chief is succeeding in totally destroying the economy with the care-less unaffordable "act". all of this will look quaint and basically unbelieveable in a few years. like this:

"You mean to tell me that you could walk into a store and buy ammo and only pay 10c for a 22 bullet? I don't believe it".

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/g ... s_11012013
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

Years ago we had a problem that wiped out the avocado crops in the US. We called it the Great Guacamole Famine. I still have a t-shirt that says, “I survived the great Great Guacamole Famine”

Silly – yes. But there were people who were absolutely convinced that they had to buy as many of the remaining avocados as possible – I got caught up in it for a bit – and I didn’t even like avocados.

My point is – everyone finally relaxed and supplies returned to normal. Today you can buy as many as you like…for a slightly higher price than they were in the late 70s.

Avocados don’t do well when you hoard them – a 3-year-old avocado could be deadly.

Panic buying .22 ammo: I fear we’re playing into the hands of anti-gun groups (“shooting ourselves in the foot” with hysterical buying). We’re certainly driving the prices up with panic buying – simple supply and demand politics.

Solution – ya’ll quit paying high prices for this stuff. If everyone stopped buying the prices would fall in a week.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
I’m gonna fix some Guacamole and watch the football game.

M
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I'm not buying at these crazy prices, but I'm also not shooting rf since I can't replace the ammo, and that's a shame.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Grizz wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:of course 10 1970 dollars is $60 today.
that's pretty close to what I was saying in the oarlock case. now the missing element is that wages have not kept up, by a long shot.

anyway the illigitimate-in-chief is succeeding in totally destroying the economy with the care-less unaffordable "act". all of this will look quaint and basically unbelieveable in a few years. like this:

"You mean to tell me that you could walk into a store and buy ammo and only pay 10c for a 22 bullet? I don't believe it".

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/g ... s_11012013
+1! You laid your hand on the whole economic mess :twisted:
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

I gave up on them (C-T-D) for good a couple of months ago when I wandered into the actual retail store on the north end of Fort Worth. The shelves were generously stocked, and the reason why was instantly evident. The very same Winchester 333 .22s available (intermittently) at WalMart for (still) $9.95 were on sale at C-T-D for a mere $60 more: $69.95. 'Nuf sed.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Bi-mart had 525 packs of Remingtons on the shelf yesterday for $18.00. While about double what it was a few years ago its still reasonable when you can find it. I can't believe anyone is paying those super inflated prices.