Which Tang Sight would fit my Rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eboggs
Levergunner

Which Tang Sight would fit my Rifle?

Post by eboggs »

Well im looking into shooting my Winchester 1894 alittle more often, however I want to try out a rear tang sight for it, every one ive seen seems to take a bigger front screw than what is installed already on my 1894 and I do not want to alter my rifle permanently, so Im not sure if this is possible?

Heres what im working with, if I cant without altering the Carbine permanently than I will just pass, but am hoping someone out there can help me, Like ive said ive looked through the Lymans available and just cant seem to find my answer. :?

Thanks in advance!
Ethan
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which Tang Sight would fit my Rifle?

Post by pwl44m »

The tang site should come with proper screws but save originals for future use.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The sight has a bigger screw HEAD not a bigger screw. You will also get another tang screw as the original will be too short. The new one might be a bit long. Grind it to the correct length which will be known after you try it out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-No2-Tang- ... 417873f1ff which is the same as this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546951 ... steel-blue

or one with windage adjustment:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174097 ... steel-blue

After finding the one you like, you can "antique" it to match the rifle. OR you could spend at least half as much again and get a vintage one that already has the beautiful patina of your rifle.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

If your carbine is the older pre-WW2 type with the old style front sight, you will want the windage adjustable tang sight. Unless you are so lucky that windage lines up perfectly with the standard one, which is highly unlikely....
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Tycer wrote:This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-No2-Tang- ... 417873f1ff which is the same as this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546951 ... steel-blue

or one with windage adjustment:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174097 ... steel-blue

After finding the one you like, you can "antique" it to match the rifle. OR you could spend at least half as much again and get a vintage one that already has the beautiful patina of your rifle.
+1
If you’re going to do it, do it right. My suggestion a vintage ‘Marbles W1’ :wink:
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I've used both the reproduction Lyman No 2 and the Marbles standard tang sights.

The Marbles is windage and elevation adjustable in .4 MOA clicks (approximately - the actual depends on barrel length/sight radius).

The Lyman No 2 is only adjustable for elevation. The lock on it is great - far better and more secure than the Marbles sight, but it is also more difficult to precisely adjust and return to zero. So if, you plan to zero it at a fixed distance and leave it there, the Lyman is the better choice in my opinion, as it is infinitely adjustable in elevation and locks very securely. Plus it has a cleaner profile. If you plan to change the elevation for different ranges and/or adjust the windage for wind conditions, then you want the Marbles sight.

The Lyman sight can be adjusted to accommodate a mis-aligned barrel and receiver or a mis-aligned bore. You simply do it by shimming one side of the base or the other to move the sight in the direction it needs to go. Ideally you'll do that after establishing the proper elevation. You just need some thin strips of shim stock. I'll usually just buy a cheap set of feeler gauges at walmart and cannibalize them as needed for the required shim stock. The metal shims also won't absorb moisture and rust your tang - as will happen with a paper shim.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

My $.02 worth.
I followed the Brownells/Midway/Marbles suggestions and bought the short sight post when I got my tang sight.
This Fall I replaced it with the "Improved" Marbles sight and the Mid-Range sight post. The "Short" is way too short - I was 60 clicks up at 50 yards, and it only has 66 clicks of elevation!
I originally replaced my front sight...but now the "Improved" Marbles sight was now shooting high. Back to the factory sight and all is well again.
I've decided the Tang Sight looks great, but my next peep sight will be a Williams Receiver Sight - I shoot Cowboy Silhouette: My BL-22 has a Williams Receiver Sight and I win matches.
My .45 Colt has a tang sight and is finally (Finally!) shooting in the ballpark, but not winning.
Lyman - I saw one come apart in a match, maybe they should be lock-tighted in place.
M
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

The shimming business on tang sights is not very satisfactory, unless you confine your shooting to one distance, say, 100 yards. If your sight is not level, any elevation adjustment will also be a windage adjustment.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I put a Marbles on mine that had been on a Henry 001T. I only used the rear screw to hold it down as I could not bring myself to drill a hole in that pretty receiver Tang :-)
I also used a front globe sight with a single post insert. I had the gun at the range today to see if it was dialed in. I shot about a dozen shots at 50 meters and every round was inside a 3" circle. Plenty accurate for me!

Walt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

QCI Winchesters wrote:The shimming business on tang sights is not very satisfactory, unless you confine your shooting to one distance, say, 100 yards. If your sight is not level, any elevation adjustment will also be a windage adjustment.
I agree, sadly there is no such thing as a free lunch. The effect of a canted sight on windage with any change in elevation makes the Lyman a workable option on a non adjustable front sight carbine, only if you plan to shoot with a fixed zero, and that's why you shim for windage after you've established the elevation.

The alternative on a Model 94 with a fixed front sight is the Marbles sight, which has less eye appeal than the Lyman sight (it's that no free lunch thing again).

----

I have Marbles standard tang sights on most of my lever guns but I have a Lyman No 2 on a Model 94 in .30-30 along with a Lyman 17A globe front sight and it'll will produce 1 1/2-2" groups at 100 yards. It works well as the front sight is drift adjustable for zero and once zeroed, I don't change the elevation or windage when hunting with it.

If you go that route keep it as low as possible and go with the 17AHB sight (.404" high).

----

With either the Lyman or Marbles sight I'm a big fan of the Merit #4 Hunter adjustable aperture. It has an adjustment range of .022" to .125" in eleven finger adjustable steps, letting you stop the aperture up or down for the light conditions. And with a 1/2" disc it's still small enough to see around when shooting with both eyes open at short ranges.

eboggs
Levergunner

Post by eboggs »

thanks for all the info guys,

Not sure which way to go yet, I would only have it zeroed in at 100 yards or so, no super long distances and would probably just hold over for any other distance instead of adjusting sight....I am a bit afraid to get the Lyman non adjustable, incase my front site is way off, not sure how well shimming the rear sight will look?

Will shimming it be secure enough to not get bumped out of wack? Ive shimmed a PU scope on a Mosin Sniper before and it worked good. So that'd be OK, however the tang is very narrow, although im assuming it doesnt take much, a very narrow piece just for one side of the tang correct?

SO: if I am planning on only zeroing it in at 100yds, and will hold over for anything above (honestly I probably wont be shooting at much over 100yds as i dont have access to anything over 100yds) will the LYMAN be sufficient with my stock front sight blade?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

eboggs wrote:thanks for all the info guys,

Not sure which way to go yet, I would only have it zeroed in at 100 yards or so, no super long distances and would probably just hold over for any other distance instead of adjusting sight....I am a bit afraid to get the Lyman non adjustable, incase my front site is way off, not sure how well shimming the rear sight will look?

Will shimming it be secure enough to not get bumped out of wack? Ive shimmed a PU scope on a Mosin Sniper before and it worked good. So that'd be OK, however the tang is very narrow, although im assuming it doesnt take much, a very narrow piece just for one side of the tang correct?

SO: if I am planning on only zeroing it in at 100yds, and will hold over for anything above (honestly I probably wont be shooting at much over 100yds as i dont have access to anything over 100yds) will the LYMAN be sufficient with my stock front sight blade?
Yes. The Lyman is great.
Your front blade is drift adjustable. I would only shim the tang sight to bring it vertical so my elevation adjustment does not change windage. And yes, the shim would be very thin and not affect strength nor look bad.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
ninety caliber
Levergunner

Post by ninety caliber »

I tried the Lyman, but my Tang was evidently not true. Had to shim about 1/16" which made the sight look "cock-eyed".
Get the Marbles, you'll be happier in the end.:)
JMT, YMMV
N.C.

"We deal in lead friend"
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

eboggs wrote: Will shimming it be secure enough to not get bumped out of wack?.../

.../SO: if I am planning on only zeroing it in at 100yds, and will hold over for anything above (honestly I probably wont be shooting at much over 100yds as i dont have access to anything over 100yds) will the LYMAN be sufficient with my stock front sight blade?
The shim will stay put just fine if you need one.

You'll only need a shim in the first place if:

1) the front sight is not drift adjustable, or has to be drifted A LOT; or
2) the sight is not perpendicular to the tang. If the tang is properly machined and properly D&Td then it should be vertical.

Given that you only plan to zero at 100 yards and use kentucky windage for everything else, I'd argue the Lyman is a better choice. The two collars on the sight lock if very securely. The Lyman has a far more secure arrangement than the barrel and lock nut on the Marbles sights as the ball and detent arrangement for the Marbles sight's elevation indexing makes it very hard to lock securely, and eventually the barrel will work loose, get bumped and move. On my Marbles sighted rifles, I make a note of the number of clicks up from the bottom for the zero, and I note the position of the set screw in the barrel to confirm it hasn't moved.