Winchester 1892 Button Mag, 1/2 round-1/2 Oct in 357 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1892 Button Mag, 1/2 round-1/2 Oct in 357 Mag

Post by Old No7 »

Well it appears a levergun that I've been lusting after for awhile is finally available...

Here's a new Winchester Model 1892 in 357 Mag, with button magazine, 20" barrel and 1/2 round-1/2 octagon barrel.

In the spring/summer of 2012, back when I was dealing with all the trials & tribulations (and frustrations...) of the old original Winch 1892 button mag rechambered to 357 that I'd acquired (had a blackpowder firing pin, which I updated; but also headspacing issues, that I couldn't overcome), I'd have bought one of these beauties if I could have found one. Back then, all I could find were the 44 Mags and 45 Colts...

But while browsing GunBroker the other night, lo and behold, there were two of those lustful beauties now listed... Here's what she looks like...
Winch 1892 Button Mag 357.jpg
Pretty nice, eh?!?!?

Yes, but very PRICEY!!!

The old 357 1892 went to a CAS shooter who will only shoot 38-level loads from 357 Mag brass, so I could get this one to be my 357 Mag carbine. But that would mean I'd have to sell off a nice pre-Remington, safety equipped Marlin 1894c in 357 Mag -- plus something else too $$$ -- to fund the much more expensive Winchester 1892.

Yes, keeping both leverguns in 357 would be desirable, but not very practical or possible these days, due to the economy and all...

So, what's the forum say??? Keep the Marlin, or get the Winchester???

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 1892 Button Mag, 1/2 round-1/2 Oct in 357 Mag

Post by EdinCT »

You only pass this way once and if its your dream rifle I would spring for it. I saw a 38 WCF takedown at Cabela's in CT the other day and other the safety on the tang it was a very good looking rifle.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One safety for another. It IS a nice configuration and you should be able to find parts to make it old school if you want to.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:One safety for another. It IS a nice configuration and you should be able to find parts to make it old school if you want to.
Yep, and will probably be more desirable when you (or a loved one) decides to pass it on!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Price is a personal thing. If it is what you want at a price your willing to pay, go get it (hell, I would).
If you need to trade off other guns to get it then you need to decide whether you want it more than what you would need to trade.
A configuration like that, I reckon if you don't snap it up someone else sure will. If I was over there I would.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Griff wrote:
Hobie wrote:One safety for another. It IS a nice configuration and you should be able to find parts to make it old school if you want to.
Yep, and will probably be more desirable when you (or a loved one) decides to pass it on!
:o So true. They will talk about you with a beam in their eye about how you loved to go for a walk with it in your hand. How you busted rocks and dirt clods with the occasional jack or chuck and then go silent with the deer in the headlights look. Yep you need it. :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's a nice looking rig. Being a Winchester guy you probably already know what I'd do. I would just pop off that tang safety and put a tang sight on it. It would be a useful addition and look right at home on that rifle.
I do know your dilema though, sometimes you just can't keep em all. I sold off a nice pre-64 mod 70 a couple years ago to buy something I wanted. I shot the replacement more in the first month than I did that model 70 in fifteen years.
Plus I made a little money. :D
I hope you get the 92......and let me borrow it. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Think I'd be keepin' the pre-Rem, made in USA Marilin. Not to say the Miroku "Winchesters" aren't nice, they are. Hard to go wrong, whichever way you decide. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I bought a take down 32-20 long barrel deluxe a few years ago. I'm glad I did price and all. It is the only expensive gun I own. i once saw a thread were Steve of Steves Gunz worked one into an original style. It was impressive. Personally the safety was not an issue but the rebounding hammer sucks. Otherwise the gun is built the way a gun should be built.

I'm back to buying used guns again but for a special treat it was fine. My 92 Winoku turned out too barrel heavy with the small bore and 24" octagon barrel. The one mod I might do is look into a half round barrel. The take down feature complicates the mod but it should be doable.