snap strap or hammer thong on holster ,which is best?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

snap strap or hammer thong on holster ,which is best?

Post by remshooter »

got ruger .44 mag super blackhawk 4 3/4 inch barrel, want to order elpaso tom three persons holster, has option of hammer thong or snap strap, which is better? and the advantage or disadvantige of both. have used holsters with snap strap before but not hammer thong
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: snap strap or hammer thong on holster ,which is best?

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE HAMMER THONG DID NOT ACQUIRE THE NAME " WIDOW MAKER " FOR NOTHING !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE HAMMER THONG DID NOT ACQUIRE THE NAME " WIDOW MAKER " FOR NOTHING !!
I didn't know it had that nickname, but I agree.

Snap for practicality and usefulness....

Leather thong for nostalgia.....and for when you have time to continually check to make sure its still on
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting commentary Vance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like a strap. When the snap is located right, it can be popped with the trigger finger as the hand is on the gun in a shooting grip, and can be very quick. Most are located lower and require a separate motion to pop the snap. May be less of an issue with an SA gun, or if the ability to use your gun quickly matters.

The hammer on a Super can add to the difficulty in getting a thong off, as its wider at the spur.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Over the years, I've made about a dozen or so SA revolver holsters for my own use, and every one had a thong - mostly because I didn't wanna get into installing the snap/etc.

I've never had an issue with the thong, though - even with the holsters that housed Ruger SBH's.

I have always, however, kept an empty chamber under the hammer of the non-transfer bar SA's I had (OM Rugers, & Colt SAA & .22 Frontier Scout).

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have always preferred the strap and snap for safety but lately I am leaning more towards the Sam Brown stud. The thong is ok if you want that look but for real use I want a strap with a more secure fastener.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Hammer thongs can be made in many styles.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

765x53 what a great looking holster. Is that Security Six in it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let me think... a thong that won't be used after a short time, as they're usually forgotten about until they either retain the gun in the holster or lost because they got pulled completely out in the heat of the moment; or a functional and convenient snap?

Tom Threepersons had them made for good reason. Nothing's changed. http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_PoliceHolsterHist.htm
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

3leggedturtle wrote:765x53 what a great looking holster. Is that Security Six in it?
Thanks.
Yes, it's a 1973 Security Six.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A tight fitting holster works best, if ground conditions get steep or the pony is slipping and scrambling I put the thong on it otherwise I carry with no restraint. danny
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

As a holstermaker of more than just a few months' experience, I long ago concluded that a Properly Designed and Constructed holster needs neither thong nor strap.. Additionally, the vaunted Threepersons holster is Not a "proper" design, as it requires a retention device of some kind.. Sorry if that sounds like heresy to some, but it's true.

The only exceptions would be "flap" holsters, where gun protection is paramount..

Frazier, Meanea, Collins and their contempraries in the West and as far as California, had it figured right. The later "gimmick" holters are mostly inadequate answers to question that probably should not have been asked.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a open top holster for my 3" .44 special that has no straps or thumb break or hammer loop. It was made by CME holsters down in Sinton Texas. I can holster the loaded gun and hold the holster upside down and the gun will not fallout. It will conceal very good under a Tee shirt, check out their site.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The snap is better, best of all is a holster that holds the gun securely enough that no strap is need. I never liked the leather thong slipped or tied over the hammer.

One proven method that I have used with a western holster with a leather thong is to pull the hammer back a little bit and place the leather thong between the hammer and frame. I have done this extensively for 40yrs with a Ruger single six, or any Ruger new model singleaction, for that matter. All I would do is pull the hammer back slightly during the draw, to release the thong, but I always left my trigger finger out of the guard until the gun is clear of the leather. With the transfer bar New Model, I never had an accident, and I bet I have drawn hundreds of thousands of times that way, but I suppose a klutz could figure out how to have an accident with that method if they tried.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The 'strip of leather under the hammer' trick was developed for revolvers with hammer-mounted firing pins, and because of the smooth finishes and lack of any protrusions under the hammer of a Ruger revolver, the strip is of no practical use in that case.. it may make you feel better, but is false security..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...