Price Check: Browning SA 22LR Made in Japan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Price Check: Browning SA 22LR Made in Japan

Post by Mainehunter »

Take down, checked the bore and it's spotless, wood has really nice grain and comes with a Tasco scope. Very light and nice looking rifle. Shop wants $395 out the door. I know the ones made in Belgium are worth more but this is a first I've seen in these parts and at that price. Thoughts?

Mainehunter :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price Check: Browning SA 22LR Made in Japan

Post by Pete44ru »

You'll look long/hard to find another in that condition @ that price - but I'd lay $350 cash one the counter & let the money talk (remember - BS walks ;) )

FWIW, I don't count a Tasco scope as anything other than the work to toss it - but if the owner's proud of it, ask if you can to buy the rifle bareback for less $$$.

Like all Browning Auto-22's, inspect the buttstock neck for cracking - when some ignoramus twisted the rifle during takedown by holding the buttstock ILO the receiver while the bbl/forend was turned off.

If the buttstock's cracked, I'd recommend passing - since the cost of a replacement buttstock's too high to be economically feasible.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I can't comment on the price but I had one that was reliable and accurate, well made little rifles.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I went back to the shop and inspected it closely, particularly the butt stock, all is good. I checked the sn# and it's around 86, 87 vintage. The more I handled it the more I liked it so I ended up putting it on layaway. Funds are kind of dry so I'm hoping next payday I could pick her up :D

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Mainehunter, you made a good buy on a fine .22. Congrats!!!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

A very neat John Browning design, originally the Remington Model 24, also made by FN in Belgium at the same time, then dropped in the wartime by both Remington and FN, then resurrected by FN in Belgium for Browning Arms, USA in the 1950s, then production moved to Miroku in Japan in the late 1960s (?) and still made there.

There is also a Chinese clone called the "ATD" that is less quality and less price. Not sure if they work well, but the design is identical.

I had one of the Belgian-made ones in the late 1950s and liked it a lot, but finally traded it for a Win 1885 Hiwall SS in .30-40, which I still have.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pics - where are the PICS? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Old Savage wrote:Pics - where are the PICS? :)
I'll post them when I pick her up, hopefully this coming week.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They are retailing for $700 new.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson