Before I start my next levergun project....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Before I start my next levergun project....

Post by draperjojo »

I put a Leupold VX3 scope on a 300 Win Mag and loaded up some 210gr Berger Hunting VLD's w/78 grains of Retumbo. I mounted Burris Signature Zee rings with 10moa inserts and put a .020" shim under the back scope mount. It chrono'd @2800fps. I zero'd the gun @ 100 yards, then I calculated my click values off of JBMballistics site and took the gun down to a 1000yd range. That gun hit every target on the range. I couldn't see where the bullets landed through my riflescope on the 1000 yard target, but my buddy that was looking through his Swarovski scope watched all three shots place just off of bullseye. He managed to get it on film too. Leupold is laser engraving a new elevation turret for the scope that will read out in yards.....that was F U N!! I've already got shells loaded for the 270 with 4350, 4831, and 7828 powder to go test out, then the 257 roberts, then my thutty thutty......

Now, when the mini 14 sells I am going to pick up a model 92 in stainless to do a little tinkering on
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Before I start my next levergun project....

Post by FatJackDurham »

1000 yds!! I have always wanted to try to shoot out that far! The JBM Software is pretty good, isnt it? I did the same sort of exercise with the iPad version recently with a 45-70, but only out to 400 yards.

That is awesome! Nice shooting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That does sound fun...!

Aside from the shooting, I had no idea any spotting scope out there could see a 30 caliber hole at 1,000 yards...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I am pretty impressed with the JBM ballistic calculator. It put me right on the targets. The targets on the range that were fun to hit were the steel ones hanging from chains.

Although it will be nice to have the turret that reads out in yards, I had no problems counting off the clicks that I had printed. I did it in 25yd increments clear out to 1400 yards. And you could actually see the bullet hits on the target with his Swarovski, and my Redfield Rampage. This still shot was through my Rampage and you can see the hits in the left bottom quadrant. The 2 just below the horizontal line, and the third shot below those 2. With the video, you hear the gunshot and see the bullet strikes appear. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be, which was a nice surprise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.