Last Year's Elk Hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Last Year's Elk Hunt

Post by jkbrea »

I leave for Jackson, Wyoming next week to hunt elk. I can't wait. Last year I got a big cow on the elk refuge. If a hunter is not successful during the regular hunting season you can apply to hunt the refuge or other areas for a one week block for cows only. When it starts to snow, the elk start moving out of Yellowstone towards the refuge. It's not as easy as it sounds. Although they can come in large herds, if you see them, most likely they see you. It's a lot of open area with little cover and lots of hiking. I got lucky and got one on my third day although there was very little snow.
I think I almost have photobucket figured out so I hope these pics come out. These are from last December.

Got lucky and a warden opened a side gate for us to get it out saving a 3 mile pack out.

Can't beat the views!

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Last Year's Elk Hunt

Post by ollogger »

Hope all goes well for you & you get a Elk Enjoy your hunt
have not been there since 87

ollogger
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good luck on your elk hunt. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good luck on your hunt. We have been up there and seen the country a couple of times, the Tetons are really something to see.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BEAUTIFUL country. Good luck! Thanks for photos.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

jkbrea wrote:Got lucky and a warden opened a side gate for us to get it out saving a 3 mile pack out.
That's awesome!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

draperjojo wrote:
jkbrea wrote:Got lucky and a warden opened a side gate for us to get it out saving a 3 mile pack out.
That's awesome!
It was so cool of him. We had two cows we took out whole. He even winched each into the back of his truck so we could slide them in to our truck. Great guy. I'm not sure he was an actual warden or seasonal forest ranger. All he asked was we go back and get the heads so he could get tissue samples test for CWD.