9422 Stock refinished

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

9422 Stock refinished

Post by geobru »

I just picked up a 9422 built in 1972 that has been well used. The metal is marred, but not too bad. The wood was dented, scuffed and gouged and needed some attention. I used Zip Strip to clean off the finish, a wet wash cloth and an iron to steam out the dents in the wood, 0000 steel wool to take off the raised grain, True Oil was used to fill the grain and provide the finish, followed by several applications of Stock Sheen and Conditioner. The gouge was fixed with a scraper followed up with light sanding to shape the contour of the forearm. None of the dents were sanded, only steamed to raise the grain.

This is what the gouge looked like before the repair

This is the finished look.

These pics show the pre-finish dings and dents that came out with steam.
These dents were the deepest, but came out nicely.

This is the finished product
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 9422 Stock refinished

Post by geobru »

These are pics of the finished work.

All in all I think it looks ok. I didn't want to do much to the wood other than to smooth out the gouge and pull out the dings and dents. I didn't try to get all of the imperfections in the wood out because the metal isn't perfect either. I cleaned it up to make a good shooter.

Mission accomplished!! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mission accomplished and some.. Nice job!.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

It looks redder. Did you use a stain? Nice finish. I am taking notes.....
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looks great, well done :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Amazing wood finish restoration...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

excellent work!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I think you did a pretty good job of capturing the lighter/blonder coloring common in that era. Here's a 2000 Trapper Carbine above a 1978 XTR:

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for posting pics of your tour de' force on stock restoration & finishing, geobru - GREAT job ! !

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

FatJackDurham wrote:It looks redder. Did you use a stain? Nice finish. I am taking notes.....
I didn't use any stain, just True Oil.

Walnut has a wide range of colors in it. Stain colors the wood and makes the colors more uniform. I like to see the natural colors in wood and don't mind the darker with the light. I will say that I was a little disappointed that there wasn't much movement in the grain of the butt stock after finishing because the wood for the stock was sawn flat grained.

I learned a lot with this stock. Namely that before you put any sandpaper on a stock you had better use steam to at least try to smooth out the dents. There is one dent in the forearm that broke the wood fibers and it wouldn't come out, and the worst dent on the stock was on the right side of the wrist, which left only a slight dimple in the finish. I could have smoothed them out by sanding, but reasoned that the metal isn't perfect, so some imperfections in the wood just add character.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Model 52B wrote:I think you did a pretty good job of capturing the lighter/blonder coloring common in that era.
Some of the pics were taken outside with a bright sun and are a little over exposed making the wood appear a bit lighter than it is. It is definitely lighter than the newer 9422's are. I think that Winchester used the old red stain on the newer guns. I repaired a gouge for a friend on his 9422 and had to add stain to match the color of the stock.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

How did you fix the gouge in the forend? I have a Martini with a similar gouge & would like to do the same. Thanks in advance!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Washita wrote:How did you fix the gouge in the forend? I have a Martini with a similar gouge & would like to do the same. Thanks in advance!
I used a punch out panel from an electrical box to use as a scraper. One side of the metal has a sharp edge to it. I put that edge right up to the drop off where the barral band sits, and scraped from that drop off to the end of the forearm. Each time, shaving a little bit of wood off. Once it was 90% cleaned up, I used a fine grit sandpaper to smooth it the rest of the way and reform the forearm contours. I didn't have to remove a whole lot of wood. I think it only took 8 to 10 passes with the scraper. I thought that if I started with sandpaper I would take too much wood across a larger area than necessary. It worked like a charm!