I didn't buy a Winchester Model 88 yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

I didn't buy a Winchester Model 88 yesterday

Post by AkRay »

I went to look at a lever action rifle yesterday, but before I did I checked out some old posts here and they gave me some useful information, particularly about using a magazine for a Model 100 in this gun. "Winchester M-88 in 308 caliber. Wood stock in decent condition with normal handling marks and some nicks. Blueing in Excellent condition- very nice.Removable clip. This is a lever action rifle. Great shooting rifle with open sights and leather sling."

When I called him I asked if the rifle had the original recoil pad on it, which shows that I didn't know how the stock should have been configured. I've never owned one of these before and have only ever seen one or two for sale so I wanted to check it out. I went to meet the guy with his asking price in my wallet.

The rifle had nice bluing, and the stock had cut checkering instead of impressed. It didn't have any extra holes in the metal parts and it didn't appear to be missing any parts. The serial # was in the 81xxx range. It wore a Pachmayr recoil pad and had been shortened. It also had some serious rub marks on it that went down into the wood and were more than normal handling marks. The magazine was from a Winchester Model 100, so when it was loaded I assume that it worked fine but if you worked the lever when it was empty the magazine would keep the bolt from going forward. Between the stock, the magazine and the caliber I thought there was too much ground to try to make up on this one to get it back to original condition. I don't know the availability of magazines or a correct replacement stock but I would have bought a 358 or 284 in this rifle's condition. His asking price was $650 which a friend of his told him was a good price. I pointed out the shortcomings and offered $580 and he countered at $600. It would probably be a good shooter but I don't need another shooter so I passed.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I didn't buy a Winchester Model 88 yesterday

Post by geobru »

Can't say for sure if you made the right decision or not, but your comment about the magazine has me wondering. I bought an extra magazine for my 88 that came from a Model 100. I bought it from a friend with the stipulation that if it didn't work in my 88, I would return it. Loaded it worked fine, but I don't remember if I tried it empty or not. Guess I'll have to check! :oops:

Original stocks for these are spendy and are hard to find. Bob's gun parts has replacement stocks for $150 and magazines for $50.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I liked the rifle and I usually like a project. I just didn't like the idea of spending so much and needing a new stock and magazine. I was actually wondering before I saw it where I might find a 358 barrel to go on it, but I didn't have a clue where one of those might be. I might have a second chance at this one in a couple weeks or so. I don't know if I'll have myself talked into it by then.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Probably made the right decision there.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You done right. :D There's a lot of nice clean examples out there for a tad bit more bucks and no aggravation.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, the only difference (besides some M88's marked for .358) between M88 & M100 magazines is the shape of the rear end of the follower.

The M100's is squared-off, to catch/stop the bolt from closing - similar to military Mauser & Springfield BA rifle's.

If that's so (It's been 35 years since I owned a M100), then I would presume the square shape could be ground to a round or a 45-degree angle, just like I used to do when sporterizing a military BA.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was gonna say you shouldn't buy one because they are strange-looking, with their one-piece stock, wrong kind of magazine, and just don't look at all like a real levergun should look....

...but since this is one of my favorite leverguns, I guess I'd better be quiet... :D

It sounds like that 88 would have made a nice 'project' gun though, if you could have talked them down a bit in price.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:I was gonna say you shouldn't buy one because they are strange-looking, with their one-piece stock, wrong kind of magazine, and just don't look at all like a real levergun should look...
Since I happen to agree with Doc, I haven't bought one either... maybe when someone gifts me with one, I might change my mind... maybe! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!