Hunting is NOT just for Meat Eaters... !!!???!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Hunting is NOT just for Meat Eaters... !!!???!!!

Post by Old Ironsights »

Caveat... I AM a meat eater. Bunnies, Squirrels, Snakes, Venison, Bovine, whatever.

BUT... !!!

Sometimes using the CONCEPT of Hunting as applied to Salad Munchers can, sometimes, help them re-enter a proper relationship with nature.

You have seen my post(s) on Prickly Pears.

You've seen Ji's post on Bamboo Hunting.

When I lived in AK I often went hunting for "Fiddle Head Ferns".

Never (ever, ever) discount "vegetable hunting" as a method of getting some citified vegetarian yuppie into the outback. I have (quite literally) "converted vegetarians" by being 100% "earth goddess natural" and still roasting a succulent bit... that their primal brains cannot handle.

You can't convert someone who will not learn, so teach them what they WILL get into... then stretch the boundaries a bit.

Because sometimes, you just can't find enough Plant Food to keep the stomach from making your life miserable... :twisted:

Not all Hippies are Lost Causes... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Hunting is NOT just for Meat Eaters... !!!???!!!

Post by Sixgun »

OI, yea, maybe.

I was reading a National Geographic last night and this guy spent a week with these Aborigines and he wrote on the foods they ate picked from the land. He wrote how they hunted sea turtles and cooked them and how everything was consumed, even this nasty looking yellow stuff. The kicker was these worms they ate. These worms were found in wood, were a foot long and first they squeezed out this nasty looking brown stuff and just swallowed the rest of it.

I'll stick to my store bought goodies and will resort to the other when the revolution hits.------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:OI, yea, maybe.

I was reading a National Geographic last night and this guy spent a week with these Aborigines and he wrote on the foods they ate picked from the land. He wrote how they hunted sea turtles and cooked them and how everything was consumed, even this nasty looking yellow stuff. The kicker was these worms they ate. These worms were found in wood, were a foot long and first they squeezed out this nasty looking brown stuff and just swallowed the rest of it.

I'll stick to my store bought goodies and will resort to the other when the revolution hits.------------6
The point is, to use what you can to get the citified yuppy/vegetarians to get out of their plastic-wrapped world and back to living WITH nature.

Most "environmentalists/vegetarians" haven't a clue. If they still want to be veg after living in the wild (in a non-judgemental way) then at least they understand that food is NOT a neutral industrial process.

Like I said, I have done this and seen the results... as well as the cognitive dissonance. But it IS fun beyond your wildest dreams to cook a roast over an open fire with nothing but natural seasonings and watch the "vegans" come drooling to your campsite... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OI, it will never happen. (getting the green, eco yuppies out in nature)

They surround me where I live and you ought to see what happens when we get a big snowstorm. They see me with the Kubota plowing my driveway and they all come over waving plastic credit cards, exclaiming, "Can you do my driveway?" I tell 'em to go back to the city where they came from.

So....my point is, If they can't get their BMW, Lexus, or Volvo out of their own driveway, how can they educate themselves in natural living? Living off the land is a Conservative thing, you know, self reliance. You just can't beat a dead horse.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

But it DOES happen. when I lived in Spokane I hung with 2 crowds... the Safari Club and a motley crwe of NeoPagans that I was, among other thing, trolling for comparative religion studies data.

The Pagans were far less stuck up.

But they WERE mostly veg.

And they went "off the wagon" when presented with genuinally "natural" foraging/cooking.

Some were insane politicals but some were at least actually in tune with Nature...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I LIKE the original point of the thread, though...

I've done a similar thing when being introduced to Yupsters - first I tell them I designed my house using passive-solar heating concepts, with only 'natural' wood heat (true), then I tell them we do lots of vegetable gardening, all pesticide-free (true), and that we use the manure from our ORGANIC dairy-goats to fertilize the garden (true), and we also have ORGANIC fruit-trees we never spray, because we run our CAGE-FREE chickens under them in the summer, and let them till up and fertilize the garden and berry patch in the winter (all true).

The cool part is that by this time they are really feeing-the-vibes and getting the idea that they've met someone with a genuine love of nature (true), and I add...
  • "...the only other thing we rely on for meat is we do raise free-range venison...".
They continue nodding in excitement, and say "Wow, man, that's so cool...!", pause a moment, then invariably ask "What is 'free-range venison'...?"

It's always fun to see how they react when I explain deer hunting to them. :o

I don't do it purely to be sadistic though - it quickly separates those who are interested in 'living in harmony with nature', vs. those who just are hopeless city-dwellers who can't think beyond the organic-food section of the supermarket. Those ones I write off, but many of the others come visit our place, learn gardening tips or how to make good poultry housing, and a couple have even learned to shoot. None have gone deer hunting - - - yet. . .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yeah.. but you are a dam longhaired hippie... at least I shave my head like a good neo-nazi republocrat... ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Yeah.. but you are a dam longhaired hippie... at least I shave my head like a good neo-nazi republocrat... ;)
Yah - that is sort of funny how that works, but I've sensed many times that the long-hair thing gives some sort of 'street-cred' among very diverse groups, including the artsy-fartsy and/or tofu/sprouts crowds, as well as the bikers (which is funny since I never owned a motorcycle), though it does still sometimes turn off some of the drill-sergeant types until they realize that I'm neither lazy nor a doper.

Vegetarians are also a very diverse group. Some do it for health reasons or allergies or other 'medical' reasons, others do it for some (strange) desire to pretend they aren't harming other living things if the only things they eat are plants (other than the mites and nematodes in the 'fresh' salad they are eating), as if their is no 'environmental impact' to turning native ANIMAL habitat into crop-land ("but it's organic"). Yet others do it because they don't approve of the common large-scale agriculture methods used for much meat production, perhaps the hormone pellets, antibiotics in feed, or just not-very-compassionate treatment of animals.

Oddly enough that last group actually appreciates my philosophy on hunting - that it is the best way to assure the animal was fed natural foods, no additives, no drugs, and got to live as normal/natural a life as possible. Once they realize that the end of that life is also likely far more humane than not only 'agricultural' animals, but also more humane than the blunt-trauma then bleed-to-death from car collisions, or get-eaten-while-still-alive method of wild dog packs, which are the likeliest alternatives to starvation for most whitetail deer, they even start to see hunting as something they actually approve of, even if they are still too squeamish to want to do it themselves.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well I don't know bout the politics of it, but I can tell you boys that fiddleheads are like a religion at my house. We beat the bush every spring looking for new sources and fight clouds of black flies come "good pickin" time.
And of course we're always armed with 1911's and SAA's in case there any fiddlehead territorial disputes :shock:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Whether I'm hunting deer, pigs, goats, or hunting bamboo shoots, purslane, fiddlehead ferns (had some for lunch yesterday) I get allot more satisfaction from my meals when I do the harvesting myself. Get back to nature you wegetarians! :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The only actual vegetables are lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, corn, and potatoes.

They are available and grow fresh at the Krogers right up the road. In abundance.

Everything else is weeds that hippies eat. Poisonous weeds.

I read it in a book and can prove it.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I remember back in the 70's when the Venus Flytraps were all the rage. Used to pull wings off a fly and watch it walk up and into it. Thought that's what this post was about at 1st thought.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

"The only actual vegetables are lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, corn, and potatoes."

Actually, corn is a grain, not a vegetable..... 8)

Is this a thread about ... ?
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Look up some information on Euell Gibbons. He was the back to nature guy during the 60s and 70s and he did his thing right there in the lower 48 states. What worked for him should work for you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

mohavesam wrote:"The only actual vegetables are lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, corn, and potatoes."

Tomato's a fruit too but who's keeping score? :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AkRay wrote:Look up some information on Euell Gibbons. He was the back to nature guy during the 60s and 70s and he did his thing right there in the lower 48 states. What worked for him should work for you.
He did a lot of commercials for Grapenuts, IIRC. His line was " Many parts of a ______ is Edible "
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

3leggedturtle wrote:
AkRay wrote:Look up some information on Euell Gibbons. He was the back to nature guy during the 60s and 70s and he did his thing right there in the lower 48 states. What worked for him should work for you.
He did a lot of commercials for Grapenuts, IIRC. His line was " Many parts of a ______ is Edible "
"Ever ate a wild hickory nut?" :lol:
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

If vegetarians love animals so much, how come they eat all the animals food? :idea:

Mark :twisted:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
mohavesam wrote:"The only actual vegetables are lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli, corn, and potatoes."

Tomato's a fruit too but who's keeping score? :wink:
Tomato's a Berry.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Tomato's a Berry.
Aren't berries fruits...???

This is berry confusing.

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

And IIRC, that Euell Gibbons fella keeled over with a heart attack, in his late 60's or early 70's. With what he ate, I figured he would make at least 100
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thunder50 wrote:And IIRC, that Euell Gibbons fella keeled over with a heart attack, in his late 60's or early 70's. With what he ate, I figured he would make at least 100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLiVeRJT ... detailpage
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3006mv
Levergunner

Post by 3006mv »

When I lived in ak, we also hunted and fished and hunted for berries, all different sorts. Hey if it's good enough for bears....
Strange to think we were actually competing with them for food sources.