Lyman 1878 (Yeah, I Know) Sharps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Lyman 1878 (Yeah, I Know) Sharps

Post by DPris »

Shot Lyman's new Pedersoli 1878 .45-70 yesterday.
Five factory loads: two 300s, one 325, two 405s.

Pretty consistent with only one of 'em going outside 2 inches at 100 yards for best three-shot groups, three of 'em under 1.5 inches, with Lyman No2 tang & a front globe.
Could probably do better with handloads.

Just mentioning it for Sharps guys, this is the absolute best-made Pedersoli rifle I've ever seen.
Quality rivals my Shiloh in fit & finish, beautiful rifle.
Street price looks to be around $1500, if anybody's interested. There's gotta be a Sharps fan here somewhere, these are really worth a look for anybody in the market.
It was even on paper right out of the box. :)
Denis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Lyman 1878 (Yeah, I Know) Sharps

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

You'll have to go to the Lyman website.
This one will be chronographed in the next couple days & then shipped off to the photographer. :)

The website can give you an idea, but it needs to be seen live & in color to be appreciated.
Wish I could keep it, but I'm already paying off a Ruger Guide & a Mosin sniper. :)
Denis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:o :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:? Not sure why they would call that cheap knockoff of a 77 a 78. The 78 model sharps is the Borchardt, looks more like a Ruger #1, no exposed hammer.
For the price of the thing you can get the Shiloh 1877, and have a rifle that is not only well built but will be able to get parts and service via next day delivery.
Their description of their "model of 1878" is bogus as well. That rifle was never intended as a hunting rifle. It was a Creedmoor gun plain and simple, they slimmed the action, used the back action lock, and a trimmer buttstock so that more weight could be added to the barrel to help control the recoil. Rules of the day stated the rifle could not exceed 10 lbs, and the trend in longrange cartridges was for the longer cartridges and heavier bullets, so recoil was a problem over long stings of fire. They did end up bringing most of those rifles back and shortening the barrel to 26 inches and adding the barrel sights with the renaming of them to an express rifle, chambered in the 2 7/8 with a 285 gr bullet, but it didn't improve the sales any..
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

See the (Yeah, I Know) in the post title. :)
Regardless, it's not exactly cheap, and as I said it's a beautiful rifle for those interested in a Sharps TYPE, at slightly lower prices than Shiloh is offering.

This is, as I also said, the best-made Pedersoli rifle I've seen, and I've worked with a couple here & there over the years.
Fit & finish is the closest to Shiloh quality of any.

Didn't bring it up to argue over what it isn't, just to let anybody in the market for a good-looking Sharps rifle know about it. :)

Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

msrp on that rifle is 100$ higher than the Shiloh...
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Jeepers, read! :)
"Street price looks to be around $1500."
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

We'll see what the street price ends up at, but even IF they discount that 2K price enough that a dealer can make a profit at 1500, that's still going to be within spittin distance of a properly named and USA built handcrafted rifle.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Buffalo Arms has it listed at $1431 on their website, I haven't looked farther.
If it doesn't do much for you, that's fine. I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Occasionally Pedersoli products & Sharps rifles are mentioned here, thought I'd toss this one out for anybody who might be interested.

I've worked with Shiloh & Pedersoli rifles before, the only Sharps I own is a Shiloh Saddle Rifle built to my order.
The Italian Sharps were nice, but just not quite...there, for me.
This one, I genuinely would like to keep. :)
I've suggested to Bubbles that I have a solution for a birthday gift this year, if she finds herself stumped on ideas. :)
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well I hope they sell a million of them. Just wish they would of got the name right.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Forged & CNC'd frame, incidentally, where Shilohs are cast. :)
Hammer, triggerguard & triggers cast.
Frame & lever finished polished bright.

I had some reservations in going to the range since I no longer see front sights well through apertures, but the 3-ring globe was very clearly defined & it was easy to center the black bull inside the small ring.

Shiloh, I believe, charges extra for tang sights on all models, so that'd be a consideration, pricewise.
The Lyman #2 isn't the absolute best for serious long-range competition, obviously, but it's better'n bucks & it's included in the price.
Gun's ready for the range as it comes.
You can spend another $500 on a better tang sight later if you want to upgrade.

Trying to find out what's behind the model name. :)
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Trying to compare the lyman 17a and tang sight to the quality and dependability of the MVA sights is sort of like saying your Yugo sedan is the equivilant of a Cadillac sts.... :roll:
Sights are not the place to scrimp.. Always get the giggles when someone whines about the price of a good soule sight, yet they don't bat an eye over the price of a leupold scope..
I've handled the Shiloh 77, and I have my doubts that Pedersoli/lyman will come up with anything near the fit and finish for that much less money, and then there's the parts thing that just can't be denied... Snap a firing pin or lever sping in one of the Italians, and then tell us how good things are..
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I'm not trying to compare the Lyman sight on the gun to a serious dedicated competition sight, just pointing out that it does come with a tang sight already on & included in the price.
Pedersoli Sharps are quite happily used by people who can't spring for Shiloh prices, and this'd do for either an entry gun, or as is going forward, depending on preferences & projected use.

It is far from a "cheap knockoff".
If you have to have a Shiloh, by all means get one.
Otherwise...
Denis
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Looks like Italy's closed today, hopefully more info on why they called it an 1878 on Monday, I'm now told. :)
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

DPris wrote:I'm not trying to compare the Lyman sight on the gun to a serious dedicated competition sight, just pointing out that it does come with a tang sight already on & included in the price.
Pedersoli Sharps are quite happily used by people who can't spring for Shiloh prices, and this'd do for either an entry gun, or as is going forward, depending on preferences & projected use.

It is far from a "cheap knockoff".
If you have to have a Shiloh, by all means get one.
Otherwise...
Denis
Problem is when you get right down to brass tacs and look at the prices there's really not enough difference between a Shiloh and a Pedersoli to justify just the loss in value of the Pedersoli when you carry it out of the dealers building.. let alone if you shoot the thing. Even the old Farmingdale Shilohs (that some of the pedersoli's are patterned after) hold their value. But you look around at the used Pedersoli market and loosing 2/3 of purchase value is not uncommon.
Sure you can say that the 100$ worth of sights included on that Italian knockoff of the 1877 sharps is something to consider, but it's a false trade off if you want to shoot past 200 or make adjustment for windage at 100 :wink: For 300$ you can have the 130 series sights and 111 front mounted and properly fit to your Shiloh before it ships.. 14 minutes of windage and enough sight to shoot to from 1-800 yds...
Like I said before I hope Lyman sells a million of them , it can only be good for the shooting sports. Just wish they would of named the rifle properly.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

One could argue that the Shiloh is merely a knock-off, too. :)
Shiloh was not the original maker & has no rights of successorship.

I'd probably feel comfortable at this point recommending that YOU not buy a Pedersoli.
In fact, I'm going to ask you not to.

In my house, I have the heavy Shiloh Saddle Rifle, a lighter Remington Custom Shop Rolling Block, and a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, all in .45-70.
Each fits a particular use or desire.
I've owned & worked with other .45-70s.
These are the ones that stuck.

This Lyman is easily the same (or better) quality in construction, fit & finish as the CS Remington, and it would fit right in here.
It is the first Italian Sharps I've genuinely wanted to keep.

I'm not a thousand-yard .45-70 competitor, and the Lyman is lighter than the Shiloh & the sights are easier to use than the Remington.

It is not the equal of the $2800 Shiloh Creedmore, or the $1800-$1900 Sporters (full retail & without tang sights), but not everybody needs those or wants to pay those prices for a fun .45-70 in a good- looking/ good shooting package.

So, again- PLEASE don't buy one. :)
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

DPris wrote:One could argue that the Shiloh is merely a knock-off, too. :)
Shiloh was not the original maker & has no rights of successorship.

I'd probably feel comfortable at this point recommending that YOU not buy a Pedersoli.

In my house, I have the heavy Shiloh Saddle Rifle, a lighter Remington Custom Shop Rolling Block, and a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, all in .45-70.
Each fits a particular use or desire.
I've owned & worked with other .45-70s.
These are the ones that stuck.

This Lyman is easily the same (or better) quality in construction, fit & finish as the CS Remington, and it would fit right in here.
It is the first Italian Sharps I've genuinely wanted to keep.

I'm not a thousand-yard .45-70 competitor, and the Lyman is lighter than the Shiloh & the sights are easier to use than the Remington.

It is not the equal of the $2800 Shiloh Creedmore, or the $1800-$1900 Sporters (full retail & without tang sights), but not everybody needs those or wants to pay those prices for a fun .45-70 in a good- looking/ good shooting package.

So, again- PLEASE don't buy one. :)
Denis
You can dang well bet I won't buy another one. I've already been down that "they are cheaper so got to be a better deal " road.
So you just go on telling partial truths, half story, handing out bogus price claims , and doing your level best to take the money away from American craftsmen...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don,

Denis is just reporting on the gun, not selling it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Here we go again! Moderator Don Is picking a fight again.

Owen
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

OK, fun's fun, but you & I are done.
I have told no partial truths, I have given no half stories, the $1431 price I mentioned shows right now on the Buffalo Arms website, and I am taking no money away from American craftsmen.

A simple attempt to let people on this forum know about a new well-made Sharps rifle has deteriorated so quickly by your obvious disdain of the maker & insistence that Shiloh is the only way to go that it's pointless to continue any interaction with you.

For anybody else who might not be quite so biased & locked into the Shiloh-Or-Nothing mindset, it 's a cut above Pedersoli's normal QC levels, a very nice rifle that shoots well, and it's worth a look.
I have the gun here, Don does not.
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hobie that could be.
I'll bow ,out the half truths can continue uncontested.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well ok BACO does show it at 1431,,, altho they don't have it in stock and say they may not receive any until sometime in Sept.....
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

DPris wrote:For anybody else who might not be quite so biased & locked into the Shiloh-Or-Nothing mindset, it 's a cut above Pedersoli's normal QC levels, a very nice rifle that shoots well, and it's worth a look.
I have the gun here, Don does not.
Denis
Guess you don't know about my Italian sharps, and my C Sharps... :roll:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

DPris wrote: A simple attempt to let people on this forum know about a new well-made Sharps rifle has deteriorated so quickly by your obvious disdain of the maker & insistence that Shiloh is the only way to go that it's pointless to continue any interaction with you.
Denis
I know some of us here can be hard-headed, and tone and inflection are not conveyed well in print..
But I went back and read this entire thread again and the deterioration begain here....
DPris wrote:Jeepers, read! :)
"Street price looks to be around $1500."
Denis
If you always have to have the last word, then you usually end up picking a fight.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Hobie wrote:Don,

This. Denis was kind enough to come here and report on a gun, not to get hammered over the head with it. I for one was happy to learn about it even though I am not in the market for one.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jazman wrote:

This. Denis was kind enough to come here and report on a gun, not to get hammered over the head with it. I for one was happy to learn about it even though I am not in the market for one.
+ 1.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

game keeper wrote:
jazman wrote:
+ 1.
+2
I'd seen it on Lyman's website several months back as I was looking at their Hawken... If this Italian copy is anything like their Hawken, then it ougha be nice as Denis reports. And I appreciate the review. Even as I save my pennies for metal work on my project Marlin.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

If anybody else is interested, Lyman says the reason behind the Model 1878 designation is that the gun isn't intended to be a repro of the original Sharps 1878, its name reflects a version contracted for by Lyman to reflect the year Lyman originally started in business (1878), and it's a LYMAN Model 1878, not a Sharps Model 1878.
Based loosely on the Sharps 1877.

So, don't judge it by name or by historical accuracy, judge it on its own merits as a shooter.
Denis
Stillwater
Levergunner

Post by Stillwater »

DPris wrote:If anybody else is interested, Lyman says the reason behind the Model 1878 designation is that the gun isn't intended to be a repro of the original Sharps 1878, its name reflects a version contracted for by Lyman to reflect the year Lyman originally started in business (1878), and it's a LYMAN Model 1878, not a Sharps Model 1878.
Based loosely on the Sharps 1877.

So, don't judge it by name or by historical accuracy, judge it on its own merits as a shooter.
Denis
I have kown Don, from the Internet, for quiet a few years now. He's not a bad guy. In fact he's a pretty decent guy, helping everyone he can.

Don believes in proper nomenclature about rifles. That Lyman rifle, isn't a model 1878 Sharps reproduction... It is a Lyman model 1878 rifle, a replica of nothing. As that, the nomenclature stands as it is... Using the word SHARPS with that rifle, isn't the best use of the word, that I have ever seen.

I have a couple of Lyman Great Plains rifles, they are fun guns, they shoot well, however, they aren't close enough to a Hawken to attach the Hawken name to them. Although many people, unclear on the subject, insist on calling them a Hawken. I just call them a Hawken type of a rifle.

Personally I have no coubt that the 1878 Lyman rifle will be a good gun, however again, it won't be up to Shiloh's standards of fit and finish.. Parts acquisition may be a problem though, when it is actually available.Yet, Like anything else, when you pay your money, you do not get more than what you pay for...

The Lyman 1878 rifle isn't a close enough to the sharps design, to even call it a Sharps replica. Just call it a Lyman 1878, which evidentially that is what Lyman wants to call it. Until I see different anyway... The outline of the Lyman rifle may make it look like a Sharps, but outlines don't make good replicas or reproductions...

Like Don does, I, myself, believe in using the proper nomenclature for things.

One thing that bothers me greatly is calling a Mule deer, a mulie. It's always so unknowing easterner, as in east of the Mississipi, that makes those verbiage GAFFS.

Bill
Last edited by Stillwater on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stillwater
Levergunner

Post by Stillwater »

hightime wrote:Here we go again! Moderator Don Is picking a fight again.

Owen
This comment doesn't add anything to the discussion, it can only add fuel to a fire... Is that what you're trying to do?

Bill
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

DPris wrote:There's gotta be a Sharps fan here somewhere
I own a Pedersoli "Sharps" 1874 "heavy target model" in .45-120 Sharps. It is an extremely well-built rifle. I imagine the Shiloh is better, but I didn't feel like waiting for 3 years at the time, nor paying twice as much. I also own a Pedersoli "Charleville 1766" and the fit and finish on it is also superb. I would not hesitate to own a Pedersoli-made gun.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
I own a Pedersoli "Sharps" 1874 "heavy target model" in .45-120 Sharps. It is an extremely well-built rifle. I imagine the Shiloh is better, but I didn't feel like waiting for 3 years at the time, nor paying twice as much. I also own a Pedersoli "Charleville 1766" and the fit and finish on it is also superb. I would not hesitate to own a Pedersoli-made gun.
See here were are spreading rumors, and false hoods still.
First off the only way you'll get a Shiloh that is twice as much as a Pedersoli, is to order a bunch of upgrades, but then again if you look at Pedersoli's web then you can get one from them that costs twice as much as the elcheapo models...
Then where or where does this nonsense about 3 years wait come from? Maybe if you ordered a rifle with checkering and engraving and the like... But to get a rifle it's not impossible to get one right off the rack delivered next day fedex to your ffl. Otherwise the wait time on a custom ordered rifle from Shiloh is 14 months. Going thru Bill Goodman that wait can be cut considerable if not completely depending on what he has on hand.
C Sharps also maintains a good selection of on the rack and ready to ship rifles, and ordering one from them won't take as long as a Shiloh, maybe about 3 months, again depending on what you order.
Of course either a Shiloh or a C Sharps are custom made rifles, and not cookie cutter rifles stamped out like some other brands we can mention.
Now lets get back to the part about the Lyman rifle not being a Sharps copy? If that's the case why did the OP bill it as such, and why is Lyman calling it that in their info.(not the quote with the bold text added)
Besides I don't have a problem with them calling it by it's proper designation of a model of 1877, it does sort of resemble a 77, but it for crying out loud is nowhere near an 1878 copy.

So make your choice spend 300 $ less for an Italian copy misnamed rifle, and support Italian factory workers, or spend the extra 300-400$ and support an American craftsman..
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don McDowell wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
See here were are spreading rumors, and false hoods still.
First off the only way you'll get a Shiloh that is twice as much as a Pedersoli, is to order a bunch of upgrades, but then again if you look at Pedersoli's web then you can get one from them that costs twice as much as the elcheapo models...
Then where or where does this nonsense about 3 years wait come from? Maybe if you ordered a rifle with checkering and engraving and the like... But to get a rifle it's not impossible to get one right off the rack delivered next day fedex to your ffl. Otherwise the wait time on a custom ordered rifle from Shiloh is 14 months. Going thru Bill Goodman that wait can be cut considerable if not completely depending on what he has on hand.
C Sharps also maintains a good selection of on the rack and ready to ship rifles, and ordering one from them won't take as long as a Shiloh, maybe about 3 months, again depending on what you order.
Of course either a Shiloh or a C Sharps are custom made rifles, and not cookie cutt er rifles stamped out like some other brands we can mention.
Now lets get back to the part about the Lyman rifle not being a Sharps copy? If that's the case why did the OP bill it as such, and why is Lyman calling it that in their info.(not the quote with the bold text added)
Besides I don't have a problem with them calling it by it's proper designation of a model of 1877, it does sort of resemble a 77, but it for crying out loud is nowhere near an 1878 copy.

So make your choice spend 300 $ less for an Italian copy misnamed rifle, and support Italian factory workers, or spend the extra 300-400$ and support an American craftsman..
Don, I've had my Pedersoli for a decade or so. You have to remember back then the "Quigley craze" was in full swing. You couldn't get near a Shiloh and they were twice the price of a Pedersoli then...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup that was then this is now. Production rates at both Big Timber places have stepped up some, and for it to take 3 years to get a Shiloh rifle would require an order for a rifle that would be better suited in an art gallery than on a firing line...
The dollar exchange rate has changed considerable, and until just recently when Pedersoli started dropping their prices it was actually cheaper to buy a Big Timber built gun. (we won't get into the bit about the Italian built guns not being charged the FET, like the in country guns get hung with)

I hope Lyman sells all they contracted for, I truly do, I just wish they would of correctly named the model, and quit with this hummdyummpha awww stuff about the name on it. They call it a Sharps copy, BACO calls it a Lyman 78 but adds in parenthesis that it's actually a 77 model, anybody that knows even the basics of the Sharps models knows it's a 77...I do find it odd also that Pedersoli just out of the clear blue decides to haul off and offer and announce this rifle, just a short bit after Shiloh said theirs was about ready to start production... But competition is good for everybody..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can't blame the reporters for the idiocies of the marketeers. It is a fact that advertising and marketing are what drive product development, production and release rather than any demands from the educated user for historical accuracy. This was true of the brass framed 1851 Colts and Remington reproductions and it is apparently at least a partial consideration here. Knowing the facts enables us to better evaluate other product information from the same company using, presumably, the same advertising firms and marketing people.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well yes you can fault the reporters. I have penned a couple of articles myself, and I just got done with another. And it took about a half day of emails back and forth to the editor about clarifying and reinforcing some of the stuff I wrote about the product I was reviewing.
I learned the little I know about journalism back when it was still the writer telling the way it is, the full truth and nothing but the truth, not the way someone wants it to be. And the editor that asked me to pen these latest adventures, makes no bones about what real journalism is supposed to be.

As I said multiple times already I hope they (lyman and their dealers) sell em all. I just wish they would of named them aptly. I applaud Dave Gullo for making the needed correction on his website. Lyman (I am a large fan of Lyman products) knows better and it saddens me that they have went the long way around the barn on this one.
I wish that when folks try and make the case to buy the imported rifles, they knock it off with the untruths about cost comparisons and wait times.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

DPris wrote: I'd probably feel comfortable at this point recommending that YOU not buy a Pedersoli.
Denis
:lol:

Is the Lyman No.2 sight the one with no click stops and markings on the side? I was reading ASSRA rules and I though I saw something about not being able to use clickable sights. That would seem to eliminate the Marbles sights and require only the Vernier or ladder sights. They mention an exception for the Lyman No. 2. though.
ChuckKY
Levergunner

Post by ChuckKY »

I appreciate this post about the Lyman rifle and what the intent was. Having always wanted one of this type rifle and clearly not knowing anything about them, I would be very glad to listen to just such a review. Sometimes a man's pride just won't allow himself to listen or accept anyones opinion but his own. I believe the original post was clearly stated as his opinion of the rifle and nothing more. I thought it well written and enjoyed reading as I do most posts on this friendly board. It is left up to the individual to make his own mind up. I hate that this topic has turned into the usual posting that goes on over at 24HR Campfire. That was a great board till it went all to hell. By the way, I am not a journeyed writer and I do not accept any responsibility for poor grammar or spelling in this post, just my humble thoughts on the subject.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I like the pictures of it.

DPris, how do you get your hands on it? Are you a professional review for magazines or something?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

OK maybe Don is a good guy. It's just that any post about any Sharps that isn't a Montana build, opens up a discussion of why we shouldn't have bought it. This isn't on topic or valued whether not he's right or wrong. It is hurtful and not necessary. Sorry Don, I love ya man, and let's leave it all alone.

Owen
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I'm very interested in adding a 1877 Sharps type rifle to my collection. I can purchase the Lyman 1878 for $1400 from my LGS.

I'd much rather buy American made. Someone on this thread said I could do this for a few hundred dollars more than the Lyman.

C Sharps version of the 1877 is selling for $7500.

Shiloh bought the molds for the 1877 action from Axtell and they still don't have a 1877 in production. We can only guess what the price will be.

So please let me know where I can purchase an American made 1877 Sharps for $1800- $1900

I currently own two Pedersoli rifles (1874 Sharps Silhouette and Rolling Block, both in 45-70) and both are amazingly accurate and the fit and finish is superb. I also have a Lyman "MINI" Sharps in 38-55 and a Uberti 1885 Winchester in 38-55. Both excellent shooters. I also have a 1885 Mirkou Winchester BPCR in 45-70 that is a beautiful rifle, but it challenges me to get it to shoot anywhere near the level of the other rifles.

So it is now time to add an American made rifle to the collection.

Any help in sourcing an 1877 for under $2000 is appreciated.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The 77 model from Shiloh will be in the catalog that is at the printers now. They have the screws and parts ready for 700 of them, and have had since last June. Just waiting to finish the redesign of some of the parts and final testing, Kirk has tested two guns in match conditions.
:roll: But according to what you posted on CAS City just a little while ago, you already ordered one of the Lyman knockoffs from Buffalo Arms..
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

FatJackDurham wrote:I like the pictures of it.

DPris, how do you get your hands on it? Are you a professional review for magazines or something?

If i'm not mistaken, DPris does do reviews for publications like "Guns of the Old West" , among others possibly?

Anyway -- I appreciate the review on another interesting rifle that is right in my area of interest too

----- I couldn't give 3 frog's fanny burbs if it says 1874, 75, 77, 78 or whatever if its a shooter. I would pay much more attention to these details if I was buying a 135 year old original
----- Doug
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

This thread cause me to pause In ordering the rifle from Buffalo arms. I would much prefer an American made products. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the price will be. I'm in no rush.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Building guns from barstock is my hobby. Had started building a Sharps per drawings of a model 1874 when I happened on the pictures of the Lyman 1878 and love its lines.. Now I am building something as similar in appearance to the Lyman as I can manage. I may show it on this forum when its finished and hope it don't give rise to any sort of conflicts.

Hey I will mention last month I took my home built .45-70 Highwall to my first ever BPCR silhouette match and beat out a couple guys shooting high dollar American made Sharps replicas.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

If all the folks complaining about the Lyman/Sharps 1878 were equally vociferous in complaining about the calling the modern Winchester 1885 Singleshot an 1885 Singleshot, they would have at least some semblance of credibility. Because the difference between the two 85s far exceeds the difference between the Sharps. But is only where the Sharps, and most specifically the Shiloh Sharps, is involved that emotions run ahead of rationality. Shiloh is almost a religion on the internet these days. And "almost" might be an understatement.

BTW, the Shiloh block, firing pin, and lock tumbler and fore end profile are not authentic to the original '74 Sharps either.

No one should complain about another, quality, relatively low priced BPCR rifle on the market these days. The BPCR world needs all the help it can get.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It would be interesting to know the sales figures on the Lyman rifle.
As I said before and many times since.. I hope they sell a million of them, just wish they would of called it for what they were trying to imitate..Even the description on BACO's site calls it a 77 , have even seen a couple of gunwriter reviews that calls it for what it is... Maybe it is a copyright/patent thing that made Lyman/Pedersoli call it by the 78 title?
Lord knows some of the bpcr sports need all the help they can get in attendance numbers, but as there are inexpensive rifles fully capable of competing in grand abundance already I don't believe this one will help the competitor numbers one bit.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

DPris, thank you for the mini review. I certainly enjoyed it.

Sometimes I seem to have tunnel vision on a topic or two and it sure does make it uncomfortable/trying for my friends, but we are still friends at the end of the day.

Alphawolf45, I bet everyone is awaiting the reports and pics of your new rifle. I have enjoyed every one that you have shared on these forums.

hayabusa
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

My local gun shop called 3 different distributors on the availability of this rifle. He was told it will not be available until the first quarter of next year. I need to call Buffalo arms to see if they actually have a rifle in stock for sale.
the rifles available from C Sharps and Shiloh will be substantially more than 1400 dollars.
At under 1500 dollars I think this rifle is a real value.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com