QuickLoad: Measure those bullets!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

QuickLoad: Measure those bullets!

Post by JohndeFresno »

This is either the second or third Barnes bullet whose measurements don't jibe with QuickLoad:
The Barnes #31012 .310" (7.63x39) 123 gr. TSX Boattail

My measurement, and Barnes site, currently show it to be .985" long (QL had .964").

And I can't remember how many other bullets were off, but there were a few.

As you know, incorrect bullet lengths can change pressure calculations. I am a huge fan of QL, but if there are problems, we need to know.

Most results of my QuickLoad predictions have been uncannily close to what the chronograph and/or other shooters report for a certain load. But in fact the Barnes manual does not agree with a few loads; it has frequently reported loads as "safe" that are shown as patently unsafe by QuickLoad.

My conclusion: QuickLoad, for some reason, produces data that is not very reliable with the Barnes bullets, unfortunately.

You can correct any bullet data using the QL interface, but I would be wary of any Barnes data produced by this software. As always, the advice to check against several sources is a golden standard.

And... always check your bullets, especially length, with a good measuring device. Don't rely on QuickLoad.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: QuickLoad: Measure those bullets!

Post by AJMD429 »

I never used QuickLoad, though it seems interesting, and if I had the time/money I'm sure I'd have a copy. Still, it always seems prudent to double/triple-check anything involving tens-of-thousands of pounds of pressure near one's face...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Yes, I stopped using my 30-30 Barnes load due to this, it shot fine but why take a chance? There are other options. Their 30-30 bullet is so long it protrudes well behind the shoulder, doesn't seem right to me.

I found I was using Barnes load data with the wrong bullet, the data was with last year's 30-30 bullet and the new bullet has new data. The old bullet was called XFN and the new bullet is TXS Flatnose. Since the TXS flatnose is the only one still made, I thought the data was for it. Anyway, it was a big factor in my thinking that Barnes and leverguns don't mix. You need a high velocity bolt gun, with spire points, etc., to really get the benefit.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

El Chivo wrote:Yes, I stopped using my 30-30 Barnes load due to this, it shot fine but why take a chance? There are other options. Their 30-30 bullet is so long it protrudes well behind the shoulder, doesn't seem right to me.

I found I was using Barnes load data with the wrong bullet, the data was with last year's 30-30 bullet and the new bullet has new data. The old bullet was called XFN and the new bullet is TXS Flatnose. Since the TXS flatnose is the only one still made, I thought the data was for it. Anyway, it was a big factor in my thinking that Barnes and leverguns don't mix. You need a high velocity bolt gun, with spire points, etc., to really get the benefit.
The XFN was not banded like the TXS, so it ran at a higher pressure with the same amount of powder than the TXS does.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The trick is making sure that you are using the same ID number of the bullet as it is marked on the Barnes box.

QuickLoad faithfully uses these for the Barnes bullets I stock, but the measurements are wrong. Perhaps it is because the data was not updated; i.e. bullet length, from the older bullet styles.

Whatever the problem, I have found errors in Lee's and Hornady's books a few times before (and maybe others; don't remember) , and have e-mailed them and posted them here.

A second and third source of data, if possible, should always be referenced, especially relating to the warmer loadings. (Edited for a typo)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Barnes has always had a mess with their reloading data, Coated
150 gr 30 cal, X bullet 150 gr 30 cal, TSX 150 gr 30 cal all had different load data. And this is true with all the bullets they made at one time. I think this is what drove them to discontinue the coated bullets. The TSX bullets are longer for a given weight because of the bands.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

harry wrote:Barnes has always had a mess with their reloading data, Coated
150 gr 30 cal, X bullet 150 gr 30 cal, TSX 150 gr 30 cal all had different load data. And this is true with all the bullets they made at one time. I think this is what drove them to discontinue the coated bullets. The TSX bullets are longer for a given weight because of the bands.
Yup - cutting bands into the stock certainly changes the weight, even the starting pressure; thus the different load data. And if I remember correctly, they have also changed the metallurgy a bit since they started.

Fortunately, they are quick to answer you with an e-mail or a phone call. I don't want to bash other companies, since I am sure that they do their best in keeping typos out of their manuals and posted data. But I have had to argue a bit with other firms before they got it right. I never have had to stay on the line any length of time with Barnes. They are expensive, but they are a quality product. I count it a plus that they are willing to evolve their product line so quickly when they find a better solution, given the cost and time involved in retooling and changing their alloys.

And let's face it - their company, albeit with a different owner, pioneered this type of component, and they have continued to spend big bucks on load development. The other companies benefit from this and then ride the coattails with their all copper offerings, with much less required research.

I don't really have a complaint with Barnes for a supplier of my "Condor Zone" required hunting loads where I live, given the exorbitant cost of all copper loads, anyway. My problem is with QuickLoad data as it relates to this line of bullets, since I have paid a pretty penny for the otherwise excellent software.