Question: How (much) to polish a chamber?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Question: How (much) to polish a chamber?

Post by FatJackDurham »

On my Lemonton, I noticed after test firing and cleaning that the chamber is very rough, especially compared to every other gun I own. Lots of concentric circles and very coarse to the feel if you draw a pick lightly across it.

I looked up chambr polishing online and I found two methods.

1) Use a chamber hone - Brownells sells them, but not specifically for 45-70, the flex hone is only for 45 Colt.

2) Kitchen table method - Use a bore mop with soft scrub, and then a bit of steel wool at the end.

How do you all recommend smoothing out the fresh cut chamber, and how much should I do it? I am familiar with the concept of honing an engine cylinder to a cross hatch pattern. Is it the same?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question: How (much) to polish a chamber?

Post by Charles »

I polish most of my steel reloading dies with Mother's Mag Polish on a paper shop towel wrapped about a bore mop, powered by an electric motor. It removes no steel, as I measured sized cases before and after the polish. The case dimensions are the same, but the amount of force needed to resize is reduced by a noticeable degree.

So a chamber polish with this method will never hurt anything. I would try it first before I started removing metal.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The kitchen table method using some JB on a tight-fitting patch will probably get the job done for you. Dont be using anything that will remove metal. Might have to polish quite a bit, a few passes wont do much.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

what is "JB"?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think he means JB's bore paste.

You might also try flitz polish if you have any of that around.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Okay, thanks.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Charles wrote:I polish most of my steel reloading dies with Mother's Mag Polish on a paper shop towel wrapped about a bore mop, powered by an electric motor. It removes no steel, as I measured sized cases before and after the polish. The case dimensions are the same, but the amount of force needed to resize is reduced by a noticeable degree.

So a chamber polish with this method will never hurt anything. I would try it first before I started removing metal.
+1. MMP is wonderful stuff.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I don't have any of those pastes or polishes.

Would 2,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper be a reasonable alternative, or would it be considered too abrasive ??

Cheers,

Carl
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You would have to work at it to remove a measurable amount of metal with 2,000 grit paper.
All you want to do is remove a little roughness,not enlarge the chamber measurably. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Even a bore mop with some of that red colored polishing compound that hardware stores sell would work. This is what I use for 95% of my polishing. You don't have to go crazy with it, just enough for a bit of a shine. Your chamber is for low pressure cartridges anyway.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sixgun wrote:Even a bore mop with some of that red colored polishing compound that hardware stores sell would work. This is what I use for 95% of my polishing. You don't have to go crazy with it, just enough for a bit of a shine. Your chamber is for low pressure cartridges anyway.-------------6
Yeah, I have red rubbing compound, which I'll bet you a dollar is pretty much the same as the red colored polishing compound.

I don't want a chrome finish, but I noticed after I tumbled the test fired brass that had a bit of a bulge, it bound up a little going in and out. I could feel it engaging the tool marks in the chamber. I want to make sure fired rounds slide out easy and new rounds don't get hung up going in if I only neck size.

I don't think 2000 grit paper would mate well, unless you made a flap wheel, and I'd be scared of scoring or messing with the shape of the chamber.

I do have valve lapping compound, as well as firelapping paste. Might those work, or would those be too aggressive?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, get some of their Jeweler's Rouge in the welding section and try that. It will smooth the metal and not take off enough to measure. I used it and a felt wheel on a Dremel tool to smooth up the ejecter channel on my Guide Gun. When it became shiny, I checked it for fit with my caliper, and also tried the one piece spring in it. There was not any change in size that I could measure with a caliper. The rifle sure smoothed up since that channel was at first as rough as a washboard. It still looks like a washboard, but it is shiny and slick.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hmmmmm... another great Marlin tip......
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

new pig hunter wrote:I don't have any of those pastes or polishes.

Would 2,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper be a reasonable alternative, or would it be considered too abrasive ??

Cheers,

Carl
I would not use emery paper no matter how fine. Mothers Mag Polish is sold anywhere auto wax and polishes are sold and that is about everywhere. It also makes a good case polishing compound to add to the walnut media in your tumbler .
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

A few years ago I bought a tube of auto chrome polish imported from Germany. I use it for guns, brass, belt buckles and just about anything else I want to make shiny. That tube will still last me the rest of my life, because a little goes a long way.

If all you want to do is polish, and you don't want to shell out for the polishing compound, just get hold of an ashtray full of cigarette ash. My mother was a big fan of silver and all she ever used to polish it was spit and cigarette ash.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.