Hunt for Roachzilla

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Hunt for Roachzilla

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My nephew Ed a C-130 pilot in the USCG just arrived yesterday for a 4 year stint in Hawaii. I had him and his wife over for dinner. After dinner we spotted an uninvited guest show up... "Roachzilla". Being the gentleman that I am I handed my nephew my trusty Daisy model 10 levergun, and he proceeded to put in end to this monster's shenanigans with one accurately placed shot. A few minutes later we spotted another one on my canoe outside so I asked him if he was up to another hunt. He replied in the affirmative so we proceeded outside, I was the light man blinding the monster with 15 million candlepower while my nephew did the dirty work. Right after Roachzilla #2 we spotted yet another scoundrel this one on my screen door. In short order 3# was also history. Thank you Ed for your part in ridding the world of the Roachzilla menace. :wink:

ImageImageImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunt for Roachzilla

Post by FWiedner »

Hey, a guided hunt!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hope you were aware of your background behind the target while using your FMJ round balls :lol: Do you feed them to the lizards around your place?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great hunt :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Great stuff! 8)

Your courage in the face of those vicious brutes is
both noted and admired....... :lol:

-Stretch
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Ji, the one on the left will definitely make the record book! Congrats! Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If it were me, Ji, I'd mount that sucka on a nice piece of polished Koa (properly preserved with a poly spray, of course ;) ) & present it to him in a public place the next time ya get together............... :mrgreen:

PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

The only real test of shooting is dangerous game at close quarters. Ed's a shooter.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ji please thank Ed for his service.

A few weeks ago I was listening to a radio talk show and the host was paying tribute to each of the country's service branches by playing the songs assioated with each one. I don't think I'd ever heard the Coast Guard Hymn clearly until then. After listening to it I'd have to say it is my favorite.

Take a listen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_C7m_5aZXQ
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I couldn't picture shooting little Cockroaches with a BB Gun, then I saw the pic of the one Ed is holding. Those aint Cockroaches My Friend- those r somebodys State Bird. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That kinda neat!

maybe need to get a Daisy & wait for the next big invasion of grasshoppers :lol:

ollogger
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Heat up some Coconut oil and sliced jalapenos, add perhaps a dash of curry powder after the mixture heats up, then drop in the game, and you'll have a great roach stew!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Great shootin', pard:) 4 years in Hawaii, wow oh wow oh wow :mrgreen:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm pleased to see Ed could hit those Roachzillas with an open sighted lever action, a lot of guys would need 50X carrying handle...... :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Back when we were teenagers, my older brother shot grasshoppers one summer with my Daisy pump and that fall, he rarely missed a dove or quail with his Winchester model 12 pump. :)
Any shooting practice is better than none.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Being stationed here in Hawai'i is Ed's dream come true. His mom my older sis is of course from Hawai'i so Ed (now 30) ever since he was born would come visit here every year for our family reunion right up until 1996 when I moved to Maui, and my kid sis moved to Florida, and with my parents passing away in 2007 while he was attending the Coast Guard Academy it seemed the good old days had long past for him. Now I'm back on Oahu, and he's back at his second home in the islands we can rebuild some of the bonds we lost. His mom (my sis) will come for a visit next month. Won't be the same without my parents here they being the roots to our family tree here but we will try and manage anyways. Thanks for all the comments. :wink:
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Been to the tides tavern. A lot.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

3 down....1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to go...good hunting... :)
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

As much as I hate the geckos in the house due to their pooping all over everything I still prefer them to the roaches since the geckos (mo'o moe-oh in Hawaiian) help keep the roaches under control.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Are those things really cockroaches or are you just calling them that? Those suckers are huge.

Funny thing, big things don't bother me a bit but little things like that and spiders give me the heebie-jeebies.--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Are those things really cockroaches or are you just calling them that? Those suckers are huge.

Funny thing, big things don't bother me a bit but little things like that and spiders give me the heebie-jeebies.--------6
+1 :shock:
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Great job on the roaches! Are those the geckos with a foreign accent that try to sell you insurance? :lol: If so, shoot them also. :)
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

We have these Madagascar Day Geckos here which are endangered on their home island. Just about thee purdiest reptiles I have ever laid eyes on.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ji,
Do those geckos bother people, like get in your car, house, pests or are they kinda like snakes, you leave them alone and they leave you alone. ----------6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:We have these Madagascar Day Geckos here which are endangered on their home island. Just about thee purdiest reptiles I have ever laid eyes on.

They sure are cool looking. BUT they poop a lot? Never thought about that. How much and is like stepping in dog PELOSI?

SIX: I had about 4 Wolf Spiders I used to feed Horse and Deer Flies to. I would walk into the garage and they would come to edge of the windows. Wouldn't do that for anyone else in my family. One was almost 4" inches across. He was around for almost 2 years then jus disappeared.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

3leggedturtle wrote: They sure are cool looking. BUT they poop a lot? Never thought about that. How much and is like stepping in dog PELOSI?
Sixgun wrote:Ji,
Do those geckos bother people, like get in your car, house, pests or are they kinda like snakes, you leave them alone and they leave you alone. ----------6
The tan colored house geckos are nocturnal so you rarely see them except at night when you flip on the kitchen light. They feed on the roaches, termites, and ants that are so common in the islands, and keep them under control pretty good. Only thing is their poop which resembles mice dung but not as smell or plentiful. Reptiles poop less than mammals just because they eat less. They also make allot of noise at night with their territorial cries which are a series of loud clicks which can wake you up.
The day geckos as you can guess are diurnal so they cruise in the day, and sleep at night. They like to keep their distance from people unless you get in the habit of feeding them, then they start associating you with food so will come right up and eat a bug out of your hand. They are pretty cool creatures, I like having them around especially because these day geckos prefer being outside in green foliage feeding on bugs than in a home like the house geckos.

I used to have a couple "pet" wolf spiders in my home when I lived on the Big Island of Hawai'i. They were scary at first but you get used to seeing them, and they eat large roaches so they were more than welcome.
Now centipedes they are never welcome in the house. I've been bitten 3 times in my sleep, hate them monsters. Stay outside and they are okay but never welcome indoors.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Ji and 3 leg........The geckos look harmless but wolf spiders??????????? as semi-pets??????????? I get those things down in my basement and they get the 2+2 carb cleaner treatment.

My wife spent a week in the hospital from a spider bite. The sore looked like a grenade exploded in her leg. Nasty, nasty spiders. A guy at our gunclub got bit by a brown recluse while shooting and his neck swelled up like a football. In fact, I will publically say that nothing puts fear in me like a spider.------------------6

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

We do have these these too though not as common:

Cuban Knight Anole

Green Iguana

Jackson's Chamelion

Fortunately the only snake on land here is blind and maxes out 6 inches:
Malaysian Blind Snake

Our only sea snake the Yellow Belly Sea Snake. Extremely venomous but very docile and relatively rare
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! I'd sooner camp out in grizz & lion country.......at least I could see or hear them coming.---------------6