Early Range Trip 7-17-13

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Early Range Trip 7-17-13

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got out to the range EARLY this morning !

Think i pulled up at 7:05 AM !

I swapped the old Redfield Widefield 3-9 for a relatively new Redfield Revolution 3-9 . The heavy duty bullets have been playing havoc on the old Weaver and Redfield scopes . If it kills the Revolution so what I can send it back and let them deal with it !

The restocked circa 2001 Marlin 444 !

Wanted to get it sighted in dead on with Mt Sourdough's 433-425GC bullet which are in the first three rows from the left . Next row is the my Mountain Molds 433-400GC , next row is my BRP/RD 432-400GC HP , next row is my LBT 433-400GC and the row all the way to the right is my BRP/RD 432-400GC . The 433-425GC , 433-400GC , 432-400GC HP and LBT 433-400GC are all loaded with 36 grains of RL-7 .

I have the Mt Sour 433-425GC bullet hitting dead on at 100 yards and the other three bullets are all relatively in the same POI . So with that being said I can switch bullets and be in the kill zone inside 150 yards .

I also carried along my circa 1966 Retro 444P just to check the scope again . This one is loaded with my MM/RD 432-325GC and pushed with XMR2015 .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Early Range Trip 7-17-13

Post by olyinaz »

Well....what the....I mean....fllfpppssss!!! NO PICTURES OF TARGETS??!! EGADS!!!!!

:D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Well....what the....I mean....fllfpppssss!!! NO PICTURES OF TARGETS??!! EGADS!!!!!

:D
. Well uhm YEAH !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice report on the scope killer :lol:

please keep us informed of the longevity of the new Redfield

thanks ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

36 grains of RL-7? Have you chronographed 'em? And, yeah, pics of paper with holes in it can be almost as good as pics of trophy mounts! :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:36 grains of RL-7? Have you chronographed 'em? And, yeah, pics of paper with holes in it can be almost as good as pics of trophy mounts! :P :P :lol:

I kinda view the whole thing as those who read what I post feel lucky to see the pics I bother to take !

Complaining does not fuel my desire to bother . :wink:

Today I shot 8 rounds with the heavy gun and three rounds with the Retro !

Of the eight that was with 4 different bullets 5 of one and 1 each of the other three .The 3 I fired with the Retro were one at 25 , 50 and 100 . So no groups as such to take pics of !
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Wish I could shoot that early, we are not allowed to squeeze a trigger until 0900 at our range :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point,
My hat is off to you and anyone else who can deal with this Eastern heat wave, especially getting hammered by those loads. Did you have any luck with decent groups? For me, as soon as the temps go above 90, it seems like bullets fly all over the place and I don't know if its the heat or my fatigue. I'm off this week and have refused "The Gunny's" requests to hit the gunclub.

OK, you got started early, well, its still hot. :D I put new breaks, rotors, and calipers on "Ole Yeller" yesterday. In the garage with 3 fans blowing on me and I still about got roasted.

My wife has the house so cold that when I walk outside, my glasses fog up. :D ----------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Wow. Those are some monsters. How do those compare to a 45-70 Govt factory load?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:6 Point,
My hat is off to you and anyone else who can deal with this Eastern heat wave, especially getting hammered by those loads. Did you have any luck with decent groups? For me, as soon as the temps go above 90, it seems like bullets fly all over the place and I don't know if its the heat or my fatigue. I'm off this week and have refused "The Gunny's" requests to hit the gunclub.

OK, you got started early, well, its still hot. :D I put new breaks, rotors, and calipers on "Ole Yeller" yesterday. In the garage with 3 fans blowing on me and I still about got roasted.

My wife has the house so cold that when I walk outside, my glasses fog up. :D ----------------6

We're not supposed to shoot before 8AM (I got there about 7AM), well after I cleaned both rifles and talked to my wife on the phone a bit it was 7:45 AM and I commenced firing !
On a wednesday morning anyone close enough to hear should be up and ready to go to work . Anyway the 11 or 12 rounds I fired were done before 8AM and I was finished cleaning both rifles and loaded up ready to go home by 8:05AM . Takes me about 5 minutes to drive home , after I got home I put all my junk back in the house . Got the lawnmower out and was done cutting the grass by 9:30AM happliy out of our 70 acres only about an acre or so is actual grass !

Once done with the grass I came in took a shower and reclined in the air condition !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Groups, Schmoops.....One shot...Did you hit it? Yes? Good Group :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:Groups, Schmoops.....One shot...Did you hit it? Yes? Good Group :lol:
I will say after 3 shots with the heavy gun I had it where I wanted it .

And then it hit where it was supposed to with the other 3 bullets . The Retro 444P was right where it was supposed to be at 25 , 50 and 100 . We were well past the work up load part of the equation .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well 6 Point...that explains it all. Your in before the heat really hit. :D

I had to finish up working on "Ole Yeller" today. Dang near had a heatstroke. I'm tired of turning wrenches.

At our gunclub, its about useless to shoot before 9 or maybe even 10. (if the sun is out) The sun comes up right over the targetboard. But in the evening its really neat as the sun is to our backs and its easy to see the bullets fly on out to the 500 meter target.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD