38/55 dimensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
siberian505
Levergunner

38/55 dimensions

Post by siberian505 »

Bought an Alberta Diamond Jubilee Model 94 carbine barrel in 38/55. I think this is from the 60's, does anyone know the chamber length and groove of these?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 38/55 dimensions

Post by Terry Murbach »

Those chambers and barrels were cut to standard SAAMI specifications. IF you have the barrel it'll be a piece of case to measure in about five minutes flat.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The bore dimensions of the barrels can vary quite a bit. I've had a couple Saskatchewan Centennial barrels, one was about .375" groove diameter, the other was .379". Have heard the same with the Crazy Horse barrels, I think its pretty common to see wide varitations in the 38-55 barrels. In other words, dont assume anything until it's in hand.

I believe its easier to find good loads for the smaller groove diameter barrels. The .379" barrel I have wont chamber a round with a cast bullet sized (.380") for the groove diameter, it may with 30-30 brass, but won't with factory Winchester 38-55 brass. I've heard of others with the same problem.

Chamber dimensions should be standard old style.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

Thanks malamute, been just south of you this summer om Bennett and Rock creek. Quit the other business on road 20 cause of no money, working for the county spraying weeds.
I will slug this barrel, you think the chamber is the "short" version?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm not sure when the shorter brass came about, but I'd guess the chambers are standard "old style".
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?