Craziest thing I ever saw in my life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Craziest thing I ever saw in my life

Post by handirifle »

I live in the country, and we see all kinds of critters on and around the property, but never anything like today. The wife and I had just finished eating dinner. I was doing dishes (she cooks I clean) and was looking out the picture window over our sink. I was almost finished with the dishes and Whoa! I yelled as a grey fox ran out from the house (not sure why it was up there) and towards the large Eucaliptus tree in the front. I hollered to my wife, "There's a fox out here" and no sooner had I said that, than our dog, who is a mixed breed, but looks like a long legged Queensland Healer. Let me tell you this dog is fast and ruthless. She has run down and killed all sorts of game out here. She weighs about 35-40lbs, and has come darn close to catching jack rabbits on full tilt.

If you've ever seen a jack run flat out you can imagine the dog on it's heels. Usually the jacks agility is what keeps it alive. She did kill one once, when I had close our main gate, not knowing what was about to happen, but the dog ran it into the gate and it was dead in seconds.

Back on track. Anyway the fox reverses course and heads back towards the house, and I lose sight as the get closer, only to have the fox litteraly bounce off the picture window. This glass starts about 3 1/2 ft from the patio. Had there been no glass it would have jumped about 2 inches from my left side. Scarred the stuff out of me. Then the fox recovers and heads to the back of the house with the dog hot on it's heels. They got into our back patio that is a "U" shaped area, and basically the dog had it cornered.

This guy was NOT gonna lay down and die, cause as I went out the front door to call the dog off (concerned about rabies) more like scream the dog off, as she was in kill mode and hardly listened to me. I finally got her to come and put her in the garage. i went into the house and my wife had her camera and took some pics and a short video. The fox stayed on our patio for about 3-4 minutes untill it was certain the dog was gone, then took off and climbed the tree in our back yard. Not sure if it's still there or not.

She's trying to post the video to youtube, but no luck so far. I will post pics as soon as she sends them to me.

That was crazy!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Craziest thing I ever saw in my life

Post by handirifle »

OK here's a pic of it on our patio. We have the short video, and I'll try to post it as well.

He tried a bunch of times to actually come IN the house, with my wife right there in front of the sliding glass door. Glad he didn't, I'm sure pure pandominum would have broke out.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

There are lots of people in this old world that don't know Grey fox can climb tree's.

I love the smell of Grey fox in the morning, it smells like---- money. :)

------ J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

J35,
How so?
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

OK I THINK I can post the video, will try.

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/handir ... 6.mp4.html

Well the best i can do is this link.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cool Pic and story.....I did not know that a fox could climb a tree.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

While riding horseback, my cousin and I scared up a fox once. It ran up a sloping mesquite tree trunk, and hopped into what appeared to be a suirrel nest. We were trying to get a closer look when it bailed out for the ground & took off. The horses were not amused. :lol:
NRA life member
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

BlaineG wrote:Cool Pic and story.....I did not know that a fox could climb a tree.....
That's Grey Fox, Red's don't and not sure about the Kit fox.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Mescalero wrote:J35,
How so?
Trap-line checked in the AM, Grey Fox = $

Greys have their own unique smell, I learned to like it.

-----J
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

As of about 10:30PM he was still in the tree. Most likely either healing up from the dog or cooling off. It was about 100 deg here today. Hopefully he's gone in the morning. I figure he's eather healing up there or dying, either way I will probably know in the morning.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Had a Grey that used to hang out at the cabin. 2 years he greeted me and cleaned up leftovers. Don't know if the yotes, wolfs or yocals got him. Loved to sit on cord of wood and let me know he was there. Amazed me how he acted liked the mosquitos never bothered him. Hope yours isn't rabid or otherwise bad.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That was really cool! :D

Remember when people used to tell these stories and most of us would say,"yea,yea, sure". With cell phone and cameras, I have seen more in the last 3 years than I ever did.-------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I think the fox was drooling over your wifes cooking!!!

two nights ago I was glassing from the porch & I see this doe antelope watching something
then I spot this coon along the fence line & that doe comes charging at the coon
he just makes it to a fence post at the last second & the doe hits the skids & ended up
almost nose to nose, I could here her snorting & im sure the coon was growling but couldn't here it
I suspect she had a fawn real close

yup grey fox will climb

ollogger
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If that's the craziest thing you've seen in your life..........get out more.

I've seen a fox eat a ham sandwich. Seriously... and i didn't consider that crazy.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'll take your foxes over our yotes any day of the week. Especially now that one was recently confirmed to be rabid. And the idiots in local government still won't do anything about them. I told one I hoped it was her kid that got bit by a rabid coyote, then she'd have a descent frame of reference on the problem. She didn't take it well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad