New to me .......................

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

New to me .......................

Post by 6pt-sika »

A customer friend came by the shop last week and brought some stuff for us to sell for him . Seems he's leaving Virginia and moving to Tuscon Az !

In the course of bringing stuff in he brought in a Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot that was a little bit rough and an ingot mold . I asked what he wanted me to get out of them and he told me I could have them . So who am I to turn down a gift !

I have two other Lee 10 pound bottom pours of which one was a gift in a box of stuff a friend gave me last summer and then my original I bought 12 years ago .

Now I can leave this newest to me 10 pound at the shop and not worry about dragging them back and forth !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New to me .......................

Post by Griff »

Man! :mrgreen: Oh, to have the ability to have different alloys available for casting at the flip of a switch! I'm sometimes torn between casting what I want to, vs what lead is already in the pot! I may have to start looking for a 10 lb. pot just to add that flexibility!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

"So far" the only alloys I've cast have been stright wheelweights and pure lead . I do however have some Lino I may incorporate at some point just to use it up !

But generally all the pots run the same alloy .

I use the Lee 20 pound bottom pour for rendering wheelweights into ingots .

But at some point if I run across a good used fish fryer propane deal I might do that . But then again how many "good" raw wheelweights can one expect to get anymore :roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man, that's the price I like to pay....none. :D

If you really want to melt down a lot of ww FAST, just go to harbor Freight and buy one of those $30 propane torches that you hook up to a BBC gas tank. Then get an old 10 cent spaghetti pot, thrown 'em in and blast away. That's how I melted down 1500 pounds of ww last summer.

WW are out there. The next time your out in the boondocks and see an old redneck scrapyard, stop in and ask. There's one right now in upstate PA that the guy must have 15 tons of 'em in 55 gal barrels. 'Ya can't go to any modern looking scrapyard near a big city because they obey the law and like to keep things looking clean while the redneck guy is happy to sell 'em for enough money to buy a couple of bottles of Jack. :D ------------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Oh man, that's the price I like to pay....none. :D

If you really want to melt down a lot of ww FAST, just go to harbor Freight and buy one of those $30 propane torches that you hook up to a BBC gas tank. Then get an old 10 cent spaghetti pot, thrown 'em in and blast away. That's how I melted down 1500 pounds of ww last summer.

WW are out there. The next time your out in the boondocks and see an old redneck scrapyard, stop in and ask. There's one right now in upstate PA that the guy must have 15 tons of 'em in 55 gal barrels. 'Ya can't go to any modern looking scrapyard near a big city because they obey the law and like to keep things looking clean while the redneck guy is happy to sell 'em for enough money to buy a couple of bottles of Jack. :D ------------------6
While I shoot cast 100% in my lever actions I have backed off a bit the amount of lead I send flying in the course of a year .

I am thinking what I have and another ton give or take 500 pounds oughtta do me until they get ready to torch my a...s...s . So with that being siad I have given some seriouse thought to possibly getting a ton of Lyman #2 from one of the foundries . Granted that ain't cheap .

On the other hand about a ton of good clip ons might see me thru as well !

I really really missed the boat back about 2005 !

One of the local tire guys was at a resteraunt one day for lunch and I was there he actually owns the largest tire shop in our town . Anyway I was talking to him and happened to ask if he had any wheelweights and what he did with them . Make a long story short he had about 12 drums full and told me I could have them all . Well about that time I got married and moved to the Poconos for a grand total of 4 months and as you may suspect I didn't get them before I left and when i reutrned they were GONE . Turns out a couple of my so called friends got them and made shot out of them !

What a F'n waste !

Although over the last 5 or so years I think I may have shot some of that shot that one of those friends gave me over the course of those years !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I never thought of asking a dealer. What would you do, just ask for #2 alloy and that's a universal term in the lead business?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:I never thought of asking a dealer. What would you do, just ask for #2 alloy and that's a universal term in the lead business?

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lym ... tmetal.htm

With their quantity price discount a ton would cost $5424 and if I'm not mistaken shipping is free !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

With a ton of Lyman #2 I can make 43,000 325 grain 44 cal bullets !

325 seems to be about the average for the bullets I typically cast .

I suspect by those figures then I have enough on hand to make maybe 22,000 bullets !

I'm pretty sure 65,000 cast bullets should be enough to get me thru 20-25 more years !