Factory reject ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Factory reject ammo?

Post by alnitak »

The local classifieds is selling "factory reject ammo" for 9mm and .223 for breakdown into components. Bullets, brass look good and cases are primed. I've seen factory seconds ammo, where there is a blemish or something, but what exactly is rejected ammo? Are the loads inconsistent or low (hard to believe the mfr would release over-pressured ammo)? Primers off-centered, high or squashed? Is it inaccurate or low velocity? Can this stuff be carefully shot or must it be broken down into components?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Factory reject ammo?

Post by Eye-Bite! »

alnitak wrote:The local classifieds is selling "factory reject ammo" for 9mm and .223 for breakdown into components. Bullets, brass look good and cases are primed. I've seen factory seconds ammo, where there is a blemish or something, but what exactly is rejected ammo? Are the loads inconsistent or low (hard to believe the mfr would release over-pressured ammo)? Primers off-centered, high or squashed? Is it inaccurate or low velocity? Can this stuff be carefully shot or must it be broken down into components?
I never heard of it. My guess is that there "Could" be a Liability issue or something... Then again why would they sell is as "Rejected"?

Just bought two boxs of 45-70 Goobermint (Winchester Cowboy or Target) and the brass had some minor denting.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I got a really good deal on some Hornady 9mm ammo and there is a dark streak on all the brass as though some of the processing equipment had some oil or industrial fluid leaking. Purely cosmetic...

But I would imagine every situation is different. I can't imagine anyone selling dangerously over pressure ammo or such even as component only in this suit happy society.

Buyer beware but I might take a risk.....I would definitely call the manufacturer with the lot number and ask what was up.

Wm.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Here is a Photo of the 45-70 Goobermint, Winchester Ammo I just bought. These are the Worst of the two boxs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

At $100 per 1000 rounds, I'm tempted to try some for range ammo. Heck the bullets alone are worth that, much less primed cases, even if I have to pull them.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I recall a similar circumstance a few years ago.

A lot of ammo sold for law enforcement use was rejected and said to have been loaded with a small but unknown amount of defective or contaminated primers.

The whole production lot was subsequently sold to the public as "practice ammo."

Jack
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

alnitak wrote:The local classifieds is selling "factory reject ammo" for 9mm and .223 for breakdown into components. Bullets, brass look good and cases are primed. I've seen factory seconds ammo, where there is a blemish or something, but what exactly is rejected ammo? Are the loads inconsistent or low (hard to believe the mfr would release over-pressured ammo)? Primers off-centered, high or squashed? Is it inaccurate or low velocity? Can this stuff be carefully shot or must it be broken down into components?
I would buy it just for the components alone. Do they ship?

Thanks,
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wm wrote:I would definitely call the manufacturer with the lot number and ask what was up.
+1 on that...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Back in the seventies I bought 1000 rounds of Smith & Wesson Nickle plated 45 acp hardball which was sold as defective/for components only. It was thru some third party company.
The ammo had some primers upside down, some missing primers, some too much powder & and some had no powder & some was way under charged.
I broke it down with an RCBS inertia bullet puller. I had already weighed the loaded rounds for what I guesstamated was a correct charge and proceeded to reload it all. When I ran out of powder I used Bullseye . All was well.
I do not remember the price, but it was very economical.

I would buy the ammo in a heartbeat!

BUSA
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Looks like a wee bit overcrimped, don't you think!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Thunder50 wrote:Looks like a wee bit overcrimped, don't you think!!
Absolutely!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I bought some 45 acp like this last year. Some had no powder, some a whole bunch of powder, and every where in between. Some primers upsidedown some not seated all the way. Some brass damaged. Pulled them all down. Ended up with 998 usable 230 grain fmj bullets, 847 primed brass, 60 brass I had to remove primers and seat new ones, and 93 brass I deprimed and scraped. Dumped all the powder. Not a bad deal for under $100. And no I would not shoot any of it as it came.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is what grabbed my attention. Looks like someone pulled out all the stops on the crimping machine.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

KirkD wrote:
That is what grabbed my attention. Looks like someone pulled out all the stops on the crimping machine.
You are correct. I will try and work my way that way today.... As I remember from yesterdays quick scan the crimp looked excessive if not the brass was pinched pretty good from my thoughts.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks all for the feedback. Here is a detailed review of the ammo from one purchaser. In short, looks like a good deal for the bullets, ...and .300 BO fans:

"Bought some REJECT .223 and 9mm ammo from D. at a dime a cartridge.

He advertised the .223 as having about 1 in 3 split necked casings and sold all ammo as "REJECTED and FOR USE AS COMPONENTS ONLY and DO NOT FIRE."

Since D. is selling around a quarter million dollars worth of AMMO and REJECTS, I felt inclined to help others by posting a Feedback summary of my findings to alleviate some of the REJECT mystery.

I have now inspected and disassembled about 2,000 .223 cartridges and found that there are three types in my lot.

80% are .223 cartridges with what I believe to be 55 grain FMJ BT projectiles. 99% of these cartridges have cracked necks (some very faint, but still fully cracked).

19% are what I believe to be the 52 grain FMJ semi rounded noses (non-BT). About 6 out of 10 have split necks, bulges or seating damage from a cockeyed bullet seating process... 4 out of 10 I will test in a case gauge.

1% are 5.56 cartridges with what I believe to be 62 grain (or higher) FMJ BT projectiles. 100% so far have had split necks.

Summary:

97% of all projectiles have been easily harvested for reuse as .224 projectiles (i.e pull out sideways by hand (through the split neck)).

98%+ of all casings have been harvested for reuse as .300 Blackout cut down brass ONLY.

Less than 2% of all casings are trash (dented, damaged and not usable for .300 Blackout).

Less than 3% of all casings will be reusable for 5.56/.223.

I speculate that maybe some folks will try to fire the hair-lined cracked cartridges, but for me and mine, we will not fire and agree with D. that they SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. Bullets are VERY VERY VERY POORLY SEATED and there will be inconsistent jump to the lands and grooves.

The REJECT 9mm has been partially inspected (1,000 rounds).

92% of the ammo is actually 9mm. Bullet seating depth is very inconsistent. Projectiles are mostly premium hollow points of 3 different types. Ball ammo and soft point projectiles are also present. 90%+ of the cases and projectiles appear visually good for reclamation... if you are willing to reclaim 9mm.

8% of the ammo is odd lot (.38 Super, .380, .38 Special, .357 mag, .40 S&W and .30 carbine). At least half is severely damaged and will have no reclamation potential.

I am VERY pleased with the .300 Blackout potential here."
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

After reexamining my newly purchased ammo... The crimp seems to be "Over Crimped". At the 2, 4, 8, and 10 O'Clock positions and evenly spaced to indicate so. I would guess that is is machine caused.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Eye-Bite! wrote:After reexamining my newly purchased ammo... The crimp seems to be "Over Crimped". At the 2, 4, 8, and 10 O'Clock positions and evenly spaced to indicate so. I would guess that is is machine caused.
If I was going to salvage that brass, I think I would anneal the brass, which should remove the work hardening caused by that excessive crimping.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/