So a guy at work asks me about .44 Mag revolvers...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

So a guy at work asks me about .44 Mag revolvers...

Post by awp101 »

The guy that works at the bench next to mine went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and one of the stops was his in-laws.

When he came back to work he asked me if I thought XXX was a good price for a .44 Mag revolver he bought. My first question was if he'd burnt his hands picking it up. That's when he said it came from his in-laws so I said as long as it didn't look like it'd been drug down 10 miles of bad road and it functioned, he didn't get hurt. Well, today he brought it in.

It's an 8 3/8" 29-2, 1980 production, target hammer and trigger, no box, easily 98% IMO, fired 3 times by the original owners (his in-laws).

The XXX price? $200.

Yes, someone has already asked him if he wanted to double his money (not me)...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: So a guy at work asks me about .44 Mag revolvers...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hopefully he'll either "grow to appreciate" its value by becoming a fellow gunnie, or sell it to someone who will appreciate its value vs. the many other 'shooters' he could trade it for.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What is that saying about a blind hog??? I don`t seem to find those deals. :x :x :x
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hope he learns to appreciate what he has. I have not shot a lot of Smith firearms, but every one was smooth and accurate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

The old 29-2 was one of the smoothest revolvers made by anyone ever.
A LOT were bought after the Dirty Harry movies, and a lot were quickly sold after firing a few rounds.

I was lucky enough to have grabbed a few of them over the years, but $200 is like getting one for free.

Please tell that guy that he won the lottery and he should appreciate that classic revolver.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

doubling his money is still stealing it from him

I'd say he married well.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

piller wrote:I have not shot a lot of Smith firearms, but every one was smooth and accurate.
Wait until you shoot one that's had a bunch of rounds put through it or the trigger professionally massaged. You'll compare every revolver you shoot from then on against that one. :wink: I had a 4" 27-2 (IIRC, or it may have been a Model 28) that had been fired a whole bunch AND massaged when I got it. I contracted a case of the dumbbunny and sold it. :roll:
bulldog1935 wrote:doubling his money is still stealing it from him
Yeah, I shot him an estimate of $600-800 if he wanted to sell it in a hurry (which he doesn't). I figured he needed a pretty good idea of it's reasonable worth. If it had the box, accessories, etc I could it seeing going over 1K on one of the auction sites.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know how old his in-laws are but I have seen many times how "out of touch" older people are when it comes to gun prices. They figure, "Well, we paid $300 for it and that was 30 years ago, so we shot it some, put some marks on it, so we guess its worth 30% less".

3 years ago my buddy is at a gunshow and he see's this old timer walking in the show with a Colt Lightning rifle that was 99%.......nicest one I have ever seen. So my bud asks, "how much?" The old timer looks him in the eye and demands, "I've got to get $1,000 dollars for this!!"

Your bud done good and the sellers are happy....so be it and life goes on. :D --------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD