Truly inconsequential TV western question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Truly inconsequential TV western question

Post by gak »

...but still puzzling. I am wondering, in the "old west," did they really leave a deceased gunman's rig and gun on their grave cross--supposedly out of respect or recognition--if out in the boonies--as shown in old TV yarns? - or was it just liberties taken for TV dramatic effect? (They wouldn't do that would they? :) ) I'm thinking - perfectly Colt and leather that supposedly took a cowboy many weeks' or months' wages...Would those that placed the guy in the grave really leave the good stuff behind?! Things like this are bothersome--also including leaving otherwise good Winchesters behind in the dust and the dead guys' horses adrift after the gunfight!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Truly inconsequential TV western question

Post by Blaine »

Those shooters would not stay there more than a few minutes after the burial... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Would you hang $1000 in cash on a gravestone?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I would not leave them.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

If I knew the guy(s) on good terms, I'm sure they would want me or mine to have their stuff...and if not, I wouldn't care :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have seen that in movies and tv, but I have also seen gunbelts and rifles collected and loaded on horses. I sure wouldn't leave them behind,cause them 'ol corpse sure won't need 'em.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I sincerely doubt if they would hang their foe's guns on a headstone/marker. I'm sure they would make use of all the dead guy's stuff; horse and saddle, guns, grub, pocket watch, chaw, and any pocket money. You know there wasn't a department store or LGS around every corner...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Heck, you'd never know whether that Colt/Winchester/ammo/moneybelt is the one thing that stood between you and certain death. Another reason to "hang" with folks that used the good stuff and took care of it! And if it came to pass that their gear saved your worthless grave-robbin' carcass, then you might wanna hoist one or two in their honor and memory! Otherwise yer a low-down, mangy, thievin' cur! :twisted: :P :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In ancient times warriors were often buried with their weapons as were some Native Americans, so I suppose dumb as it sounds it could happen, especially if you ended up being buried by Quakers... :wink:

I have read that sometimes graves out on the prairie were disguised to stop them being disturbed by Indians.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

As a symbol of respect/recognition I can see the guy's old gunbelt and hat, devoid of cartridges or gun, at a maximum...if the guy was a friend or other (presumbly!) good guy. Never any hardware.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm a firm believer in the "spoils of war", betting most were back then too. No $30/month rider was gonna leave anything of value laying in the dirt.

Watching movies and TV or reading books we come to think that most people were found after being killed by BG's, indians or nature but in reality it seems many were just swallowed up and never heard from again. Bad guy or good, a lot of lone riders left a lot of good stuff laying on the dirt after their demise. Betting a lot of it is still there in some very horrific condition.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, Stew Beard - Andy D wanted to be cremated with a bottle of Jack Daniels but ... they said no accelerants in the crematorium. :) Guns on the grave - not likely.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I often thought,as I watched Gunsmoke on TV, I bet Matt Dillon has a huge collection of guns!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Just saw a Rifleman where Lucas mowed down three escaped convicts in the toolies and very likely left behind three perfectly good Model 92s with the bodies. Often wondered why he too didn't have quite the collection of nice levers and Colts from his many "efforts" :) His fancy 92 must've been down occasionally, but I never heard him mention a back-up 44-40, and certainly never a revolver. How about one for son Mark? 'Tiz a puzzlement I tell ya! (Yeah I know, it's just a 26 minute TV show - but you get invested in these things!)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I do'nt.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In war, if your firearm is messing up, and someone is killed, it is common for the living soldier to pick up the better firearm and continue the fight. Why then would this not carry over to the situation in the Westerns? Were I a $30 a month cowhand, and a deceased co-worker owned a good firearm, I would not let it stay to rust. If nothing else, the items which could be sold should be and the money sent to the nearest living relative. Or, as Jeremiah Johnson did, take the better firearm and continue to carve out the frontier.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I think they took his boots and hat, too.

at the very least, living from a horse, you could think of a dozen situations where all this stuff would come in handy
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If it were laying there as a discard, I'd probably claim a good working firearm.

If the deceased had a next of kin, there's a right thing to do.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.