Longmire on A&E

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Re: Longmire on A&E

Post by Southern Bamboo »

FWIW - it's just a TV show, so I'm not looking for facts and authenticity. Remember, Hollywood produces this show.

However, I'm very glad to see a show on Morals, the western history (Indians vs. Whites), and in this plastic gun day and age, a Sheriff who carries a 30-30 by hand and a 1911 w/ extra mag. Hunting a killer who uses a 45-70 or greater - the shop keeper DID say 'chances are around HERE it'd be a Sharps...'

I want more of these shows. And less Jersey Shore.

I thought y'all would have picked up on his condition-2 carry of the 1911 too... but we won't even go there! Maybe his 1911 has a hammer-block safety? :-P

Season 2 starts tonight! You can catch all the other episodes on Netflix or on AE.com.

Southern Bamboo...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well when did hollyweird ever get guns right! Their Uzis carry a thousand round magazine and guys shoot heavy Westinghouse Gatling guns from the hip! And you got to watch PBS to see a proper WW2 battle rifle, a Lee Enfield, on a BBC production.

I figure they get a couple things right. He carries a 45 Auto and a Winchester. Strikes me as pretty good choices for his line of work. He also hates cell phones, is a terrible politician, and just might have murdered his wife's killer. What's not to like! Sucker punching his deputy made me smile. If it was me I would have used a lead sap but close enough.

I have to share a Montana Sheriff story with you guys. I once worked in a men's rehab center on night shift. I was well qualified for the job. We had a nasty piece of the stuff from the Solicitor Generals parole program. He skipped but one of his crimes was abusing his young wife and child, a Montana girl.

I get a call one night from a Montana sheriff from her home. He asks me to get this guy a message. I let him know he had skipped but I figured I could find someone to pass the message. The following is a direct quote.

"You tell that ####### not to come down to my county to cause that little girl any trouble. If he does we will find him dead in a ditch and nobody will look for his killer." He was probably just joking or trying to scare the creep but I sure got the message across just in case because his tone wasn't very humorous. I remember thinking if that was my sister I would sleep easier knowing he was watching out for her.

Longmire makes me think of that sheriff every week!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good story Bob!
Looking forward to season 2, the wife just put a tape in to record it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

I like it! We need more Sheriff's like that around here...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

season premier was very good....great show
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yeah I like it. On a TV that's mostly wasteland these days it's almost as good as shows like the Rockford Files.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Just a little personal comment. I grew up in a Wyoming town that was small when I was growing up 60+ years ago. Everyone knew everyone and especially the Sheriff, and the reservation was near by. The attitude of Longmire is exactly as I remember our local LE. It was simple; don't mess with the folks who live here or you will pay a heavy price. Things have changed over the years in the bigger towns, but not much out in the counties. Most LE I knew carried a heavy revolver, usually a DA S&W in .357, 44 spec. or 45 Colt and a 30/30. The 30/30 was no big deal because everyone had one and used it for all occasions, including most big game except elk and moose. The 30-06 was used for the biggest game.

Attitude was the big thing. People just didn't care what was going on out in the big cities or in Washington. Everything was "handled" and problems were solved. Bad guys went to jail or the cemetery without much fan fare in the local press and the national media had no interest in local news. Crime was small time, but if something happened, it was a local problem, not on CNN 24/7. I like Longmire because it reminds me of people and locations I know. Glad it is back.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meeteetse wrote:Just a little personal comment. I grew up in a Wyoming town that was small when I was growing up 60+ years ago. Everyone knew everyone and especially the Sheriff, and the reservation was near by. The attitude of Longmire is exactly as I remember our local LE. It was simple; don't mess with the folks who live here or you will pay a heavy price. Things have changed over the years in the bigger towns, but not much out in the counties. Most LE I knew carried a heavy revolver, usually a DA S&W in .357, 44 spec. or 45 Colt and a 30/30. The 30/30 was no big deal because everyone had one and used it for all occasions, including most big game except elk and moose. The 30-06 was used for the biggest game.

Attitude was the big thing. People just didn't care what was going on out in the big cities or in Washington. Everything was "handled" and problems were solved. Bad guys went to jail or the cemetery without much fan fare in the local press and the national media had no interest in local news. Crime was small time, but if something happened, it was a local problem, not on CNN 24/7. I like Longmire because it reminds me of people and locations I know. Glad it is back.
Our Sheriff carries either .44 revolver or a 1911... either of which I would consider a BBQ gun, but they suit him.

Nice guy. Part owner (I think)/runs a Gunshop in town on Off days.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Dave B wrote:One of the few series that I make it a point to watch.

Dave B
Me too, I think that it is pretty good, however... it did irritate me when, in the "Sharps" episode, the female deputy commented that "anybody can buy an AK47 off the internet"... Sheesh...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

In the Sharps episode i really smirked when he would jump from cover and count to 3 because the guy said they reloaded slow, 3 seconds. I've never handled a Sharps but I could fire off three 375 H&H from my Ruger Tropical at a good clip. I used it once for Grizzly hunting so some training was in order. I wouldn't want to try my luck in the open for 3 seconds with some of you old Sharps hands!

The disregard of family appropriate content is my biggest complaint with tv. Barb buys and borrows old tv series for the family. My kids really like Lucy, Bewitched, and Andy Griffith. My oldest made me smile. she is a critic and said the other day the The Andy Griffith show was a lot better with Barney, he complimented Andy. My kid likes Barney! She really likes the young lad on the Rifleman, they grow up way to fast!