DRINK WARNING!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

DRINK WARNING!!!!!

Post by Rusty »

I've never watched this show until recently cause we don't have cable. I guess I'll have to change my views on poodles too :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgSsTz9Tig
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: DRINK WARNING!!!!!

Post by Mescalero »

Well, I'll be ------!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Poodles are smarter than most people.

If you can get past the hair-style they are great dogs.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue May 21, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Kind of like takin yer kid sister to the prom. :shock:

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I knew they were originally bred to be duck dogs. Would be better without the haircut though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The "poodle cut" was designed to keep burrs from causing abraison injuries when Standard Poodles were used as harriers.

Standards are actually very good hunting dogs.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I had a standard poodle. Worked him on Rabbits, Squirrel, and dove. Never let me down untell he got to old to see. And even then he didn't do all that bad on retrieving.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd have one, but, not with a haircut like that....I'm too old be be fighting..... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm looking at replacing my late Brittany with a Pudelpointer. The breed was developed in the 1880s in Germany and Czechoslovakia when hunters crossed the German Pudel (French poodle) with pointers. These dogs take most of the prizes in versatile gun dog competitions.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, the ones we saw in Beverly Hills yesterday certainly didn't look like hunting dogs.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:Poodles are smarter than most people.

If you can get past the hair-style thare are great dogs.

:)
Which is why you don't whack their tails or put that stupid hair cut on 'em! Raise/treat a poodle as a DOG and not some sort of Gucci hand bag and they're great. We're looking for a standard or labradoodle right now.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My best Bud in AZ has one for a service/balance dog......very loyal, smart, and fierce when need be.....He understood snakes and scorpions, etc without being taught about them...just naturally knew about them....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I remember growing up, the meanest, baddest dog in the neighborhood was a standard poodle. We lived in the ghetto so the dog didn't get a fancy haircut and we just knew he was a big black dog with curly hair and a rotten disposition (he prolly liked his master, but nobody else)...

BTW; "Drink Warning"??
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Standards can be cool dogs. A friend and her sister breed, raised and showed them out Hermosa Beach way back in the 80's and they would bring em around when they were back in Iowa. Great dogs. Sure much of their instinct has been breed outta them but I wouldn't be afraid to try one.

Dad has a story about a dog his friend had. He swears it was the coolest, smartest mutt looking dog he was ever around. One day he showed up and what was once that cool dog got a haircut and became a poodle. He said even the dog personality changed after that.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Poodles were originally working/hunting dogs. Then some darned fool figured they were cool, gave them a haircut and ruined their reputation. Growing up I had a standard that went 125#. No fancy cut on him, dad just sheared him like a sheep every now and then. Darned thing could swim all day long and then chase down errant children.

It was cool to take him to the beach. Then some darned fool came out with a "no dogs on the beach" law. But, the dog was cool with that, he had his own pool in our backyard.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I remember a fella up in Alaska that ran a dog team made up of standard poodles. Did just fine! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree, don't treat a dog as if it is a Gucci handbag. I like dogs, but I am not so fond of some of the things that people have done to them in the name of fashion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: Reminds me of those Blue Press pictures of the bikini-clad babes running a progressive reloader :shock:

Those standards are classy looking pooches....hypoallergenic, and, I don't think they shed much....Thor would have a good buddy, that's for sure....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I'd have one, but, not with a haircut like that....I'm too old be be fighting..... :lol:
BlaineG -- you won't have to do any of the fighting...just sic your Poodle-Dog on any offender. i grew up with a neighbor that a large Poodle, it was one tough mean dog, we always gave that dog a wide berth with deep respect, even though it looked foo-foo...looks can be deceiving....just like women, nuts did I just say the, oh well... :O
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have heard that in France they do use them for K-9 work.

I might have to think about it, seriously. The one word the wife used when she said she might think about a dog was hypoallergenic.

Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

They are strong. When I was in grade school way, way back in the previous century, my best friend's family had a standard poodle. It was his job to walk the dog after school as both his parents worked (not very common in those days) and the dog had been in the house all day. That dog would drag both of us hanging on the leash where it wanted to go. Must of been a funny sight, a great big standard poodle with two 10-11 year old boys hanging on the leash for dear life.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: Reminds me of those Blue Press pictures of the bikini-clad babes running a progressive reloader :shock:

Those standards are classy looking pooches....hypoallergenic, and, I don't think they shed much....Thor would have a good buddy, that's for sure....
They don't shed at all. That's why you've got to keep them sheared unless you live in a very cold place. Darned things are smart too.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Poodles are a hunting breed, those crazy hair dos that some folks do with them were originally done by hunters for practical reasons in the field but they have been exaggerated by the breeders.

Here in Michigan out on the great lakes they are seen working often during waterfowl and pheasant season......I have two golden doodles (golden retriever & poodle mix) and I give them high marks in all the positive attributes you could ask for in a dog. Both dogs are tall, big body (100 -110 lbs) and very friendly but are also excellent guardians.

So consider me one of the reformed because I use to roll my eyes at poodles in those ridiculous hair cuts.......now I know better and roll my eyes at the ridiculous owners of dogs in those hair cuts.

Wm.

(P.S. By the way Poodles have hair and not fur. That is they don't shed and therefore are better for folks with allergies)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Poodles are at the very top of every dog intelligence scale I've ever seen, GSD and Australian Shepherd are right behind them. I won't say where other dogs are on the scale as it doesn't agree with what a lot of folks think. :lol:

We had a female standard poodle when I was a kid, she could run 35 mph, never left the property, and had the best personality of any dog I've known. The neighbor farmer had a pitbull that we teased incessantly and somehow managed to avoid being bitten by. When Lacy came in heat, he did the job. Those were interesting pups.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

The Army tested various dogs to determine which ones were best for military purposes. Yep, the poodle was the best. The Army decided Soldiers would not want to go to war with a poodle.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We had a female standard poodle when I was a kid, she could run 35 mph, never left the property, and had the best personality of any dog I've known. The neighbor farmer had a pitbull that we teased incessantly and somehow managed to avoid being bitten by. When Lacy came in heat, he did the job. Those were interesting pups.
A pity-poo?