Need some ideas to get rid of MOLES...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Need some ideas to get rid of MOLES...

Post by Old No7 »

My Marlin 39M levergun was the first thing i thought of, but I haven't seen the critters yet... Just the holes in the back yard and lawn.

Any tips to get rid of some moles???

They ate the roots of about $80 worth of plants and SWMBO is not happy -- which means that I won't be happy until I get these darn moles taken care of.

Thanks!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need some ideas to get rid of MOLES...

Post by Pete44ru »

Several methods here, besides WMD's : http://www.ehow.com/way_5915769_yard-mole-removal.html

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If You are seeing holes it is probably Gophers and not Moles. Moles will leave a ridge as they move underground. There are a milion ways to get rid of Gophers and the 39 sounds like the most fun. Bait the hole with whatever -dog food, cat food, grain. If they eat it then the fun and patience begins. :lol: then theres Poison.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ya know, if they're not in the hay barn you could try sticking a flare in their tunnel.......... :lol: :D
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I gotten rid of a few by sticking a garden hose down the hole, and shooting them when they come out. It didn't totally solve the problem, but was fun.
I've also put a hose on my exaust pipe, open up a hole a bit downstream, run the car for awhile with the hose down the hole.
The water trick worked for bringing out a badger. But, don't stand too close to the hole, he was really upset when he came out! Much more upset than I'd ever seen my current ex-wife !!!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wow!
That's pretty po'ed!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Rat Terrier, General Jackson has already bagged two mice and a mole.
It's his first spring and he's a real killer.
I'd put up a picture if photobucket was working!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just get a 12 ga. semi auto with an extended magazine and "go to town". :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Plant damage it is most likely a Vole, Moles are carnivorous = different bait.

My wifes dog brought in a Boone and Crockett Mole the other day it looked like a 5 week old cottontail in size.

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You could cap a few half-sticks of "HERCULES" and stuff one in each varmint hole.. After the resultant carnage, use the exposed underground tunnels to lay out and install an interesting and intricate sprinkler system... :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Have you consulted your dermatologist?

Seriously, I would try smoke - it would expose any other holes, and suffocate them. Water would just soak in to the earth and create larger tunnels and mud. You'd have to come up with a way to make smoke and pump it in there though.

You know what might be interesting, create a vacuum in their network by plugging all the holes they have and then sucking out the air with a compressor. Then they will suffocate.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

If you are seeing round holes about an 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter (and not long ridges of disturbed soil like moles make) you are dealing with woodland voles. They are vegetarian. I experience these from time to time in my yard, and these voles are easy to eliminate. I just put mouse poision (D-Con) down a few holes and put a rock/brick over the holes to keep other creatures away from the poison. Voles love to eat the poison and die off very quickly. Works every time.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Get you some calcium carbide. You can usually get it at old timey hardware stores, hobby stores, sometimes backpacking/hiking stores, and mining supply stores. Pick some fresh runs, poke some chinks of the cc into the run, add some water. This generates acetylene gas, which is heavier than air, so it forces the air out of the tunnels, the voles suffocate. Works very well and then if you have leftovers you can make yourself a carbide lamp or cannon.
Another advantage is you don't have to worry about other critters and pets like you do when using poison.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Voles love my veggie garden. I use my pellet rifle when out working in the garden and the critters seem fond of running through it and going for their holes when I'm about. Voracious little buggers. Good luck. Let us know which method you choose and the results.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

+1 on the Terrier 2ndovc. I have a hunter-killer team which consists of a field breed English Setter and an Airedale Terrier. The Setter won't kill, he just locates the mole and turns it over to the Terrier. They finished off all the moles years ago so we are mole free. The only negative side of the team is that we have holes in the woods you could loose a Volkswagen in.

2nd. Va Vol. Inf.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Was just at a friends house this weekend and they have voles. They use these posts that stick into the ground with a small solar cell on top that powers an audible sound. The sound (I guess, or some other electronic means) sets up a perimeter that the voles won't cross...at least that's the theory.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Some folks in the panhandle, (Texas or Oklahoma) modified a street sweeper vacuum and use it to suck prairie dogs out of their holes. I remember some lady saying, "that's nice, just relocate them". HAH, the vacuum throws them 4 or 5 feet against a steel wall in the machine along with owls, rattlesnakes and who knows what else lives down there.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JMHO
Providing it is legal and can be done very safely without posing danger to people/pets etc. where you live(should be legal ???)but verify it!
That is done at your risk------this is just a thought???????

Take a 4' X 4' piece of 1/2" plywood
Take another piece of 1/2" plywood and make 2' X 2' X 6" high simple box and take several drywall screws and screw it into center of 4' X 4' base above
Have access to the inside of box (just using some drywall screws that can be removed/rescrewed easily, don't recommend just hinge/latch cause too easy to get into----???
Have on two sides of the box a small hole(which a mole can fit into)
Take a metal jar top(like a spaghetti jar top)and fasten that to inside center of box floor(drywall screws etc)

Get a frozen bag of succotash----use a little bit (50/50 mix) with item below---see link!
Rest of unused bag of succotash(not mixed,no poison)can go back into freezer----for next batch(label bag as such)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/r ... trol-16-oz

weight down corners of 4' X 4' plywood base woth some heavy rocks etc.(so it cannot easily be moved)
Place on top of box a sticker saying (poison---caution,keep out)etc.

Verify no kids etc. monkey with it-----and having the thing weighted down,and the small lid in center of box(very hard for say a cat etc. to get at it)

Refill as needed-----also you can take steps to make box water resistant with plastic/tin etc.
As well if you really are worried someone getting into box only have filled lid in box from say dark to dawn etc.

JMHO---------------------and do it at your own risk-----------but that stuff kills moles and quick!
16oz bag of frozen succotash and 1 jar of that Mole patrol-----------------will last all year----(unless you live on Mole planet)
Won't have any chipmonks/mice/rats either :shock:
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Last edited by 1894 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have pocket gophers all over the place. I have tried water/drowning, Juicy Fruit gum (clogs their innards), gopher gassers, etc. Bought two Cinch traps and caught 10, which was a start, but then they seem to get wise. Other methods include firing up the old Maytag hit-and-miss engine and running an exhaust hose into their dens to gas them with CO. Dirty cat box litter and rags soaked with ammonia will drive them out, but not kill them. I made small hardware cloth cages to plant my peppers in, as they particularly love a pepper plant, from the roots to the last leaf.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Also forgot to mention that working with neighbors to provide nesting for barn owls is supposed to be a big help with gopher and vole control. Personally, I love the big raptors.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CA/news/P ... l_nest.pdf
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Best way plus it makes a bang
http://www.rodenator.com/
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Old No7 wrote:My Marlin 39M levergun was the first thing i thought of, but I haven't seen the critters yet... Just the holes in the back yard and lawn.

Any tips to get rid of some moles???

They ate the roots of about $80 worth of plants and SWMBO is not happy -- which means that I won't be happy until I get these darn moles taken care of.

Thanks!

Old No7
Moles eat worms and grubs. The mice that use their tunnels eat your plants.
Get rid of the grubs and you get rid of the moles.
There are grub killing products at garden centers.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

again, another application for a domestic covert drone strike...just saying... :)
drone_strike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

If you can see the tracks/tunnels they make across your yard, get and set a few mole traps. http://www.victorpest.com/store/mole-an ... medium=cse

My grandfather controled the moles in his yard by setting a few of these just ahead of their tracks. Like magic, it kills 'em dead.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I killed 32 Moles the first summer in my place. 12 Ga. Shotgun fired into the ground as you see the dirt being pushed up by the varmint. In your case I think that you have Gophers and not Moles. One sees mounds of dirt with Moles and holes with Gophers. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

harry wrote:Best way plus it makes a bang
http://www.rodenator.com/
My favorite too...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Easy in the tunnel trap. Image
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've often wondered. I've used the electricity thing to get worms to come up out of the soil for bait. I wonder what would happen if you applied the same idea, but with a greater charge. Would it drive burrowing critters up and into your sights?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad