I'd Like Your Opinions On An RV, Please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

I'd Like Your Opinions On An RV, Please

Post by Blaine »

My little 4DR Toyota Tacoma V6 could tow a little Jayco, and it's pretty nice for what it is. Towing a trailer would cut out towing my boat at the same time, as there are places to camp at some of the drift boat puts ins and take outs....So, I've been thinking about a Mercedes Sprinter Crew Van.....Seats 4. Has a small football stadium behind the seats and you can stand up no problem. I could start out with just regular camping equipment, and slowly add stuff to make a decent (for me, I'm not picky) camper. Chemical toilet, little Murphy bed along a side wall. Rack for a few Blue Cube Water containers..... Little V6 Diesel is good for 20+ mpg, and, I would assume that Mercedes would be of a high quality....I could get into a new one for a little over 40,000......And, I could tow a trailer with the boat, or motorcycle, or extra gear......

Am I thinking all wrong on this? Anyone have experience with the Sprinters? (No way could I afford a new motorcamper, and I don't want to get someone else's problems)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I'd Like Your Opinions On An RV, Please

Post by soon 2 retire »

What a coincidence, three days ago I was out and about with my son in law and ran into a friend of his who just bought a brand new Mercedes van like you're considering. I'm 6' 1" and I could stand straight up in the back with room to spare. He is into kiteboarding and extreme kayaking and all his gear was in the back. Most of his gear was under a raised plywood platform that had a tempurpedic mattress on top. I thought it would have made a great "going to the drive-in movie" vehicle. Since his van has no side or rear windows in the cargo area, he is going to have a single camera mounted to the rear with a dashboard mounted monitor. He has only had it for a couple weeks but has already used it pursuing his particular brand of crazy and so far he loves it. It's not much to go on but it's all I've got. Oh, BTW, the passenger seat swivels to face the rear (I thouht that would be good for conversation while camping).

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

soon 2 retire wrote:What a coincidence, three days ago I was out and about with my son in law and ran into a friend of his who just bought a brand new Mercedes van like you're considering. I'm 6' 1" and I could stand straight up in the back with room to spare. He is into kiteboarding and extreme kayaking and all his gear was in the back. Most of his gear was under a raised plywood platform that had a tempurpedic mattress on top. I thought it would have made a great "going to the drive-in movie" vehicle. Since his van has no side or rear windows in the cargo area, he is going to have a single camera mounted to the rear with a dashboard mounted monitor. He has only had it for a couple weeks but has already used it pursuing his particular brand of crazy and so far he loves it. It's not much to go on but it's all I've got. Oh, BTW, the passenger seat swivels to face the rear (I thouht that would be good for conversation while camping).

Bob in Friday Harbor
If you would, keep me posted on his real world MPG, and other opinions.....The Crew Van has windows, and I'd take the row seating out and opt for a couple swiveling seats for the exact reason you mentioned....I think there is value in this idea....Especially since towing a 19' Jayco would net me about 11 mpg or so....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Blaine they are nice, the dozen or so people that had them love them. BUT, the bodies of the vans rust out in short order. Something to look into if its not an actual "RV" type with the sink, oven and bed.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Getting ready to make the move?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Getting ready to make the move?
Not quite yet....unless things fall apart on me, I'll be down for a visit late this summer....That will be a nice motorcycle ride....See my buddy and get you straightened out :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Check out the Fuso, Isuzu or Mitsubishi cube vans. They have turbo'ed I4's and I6's diesel engines. Could have a Camper, cube or stake bed on it according to your load or travel plans.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:Check out the Fuso, Isuzu or Mitsubishi cube vans. They have turbo'ed I4's and I6's diesel engines. Could have a Camper, cube or stake bed on it according to your load or travel plans.
No....Don't care for the looks of those at all....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Dodge has their new Ram ProMaster van with 3.0 turbo diesel: http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Mon May 20, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I know nothing of the Mercedes but your overall thinkin in spot on IMO. I've tried travel trailers, pick up campers, currently have a teardrop type mini camper and the folks have a class C motor home. IMO a large van like vehicle makes the most sense. No, they aren't as comfy as a quality newer travel trailer or a class C. But for traveling I hate pulling a large trailer and class C's drink fuel like a hard core Green Bay tailgator does beer. My mini camper is very good for traveling but it does get tiresome having to crawl in. No place to stand(even bent over), not even a place to take your shoes on and off.

The mini will do for now but when finances allow I'll be looking to some sort of van to convert. I love the outdoor galley of the mini and any van I convert will have one built out the back in a similar fashion.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was working for Ryder some of our locations had them for rent as small cargo vans. From what I saw I never very many of them on the dead line, waiting for repairs. they were always ready to go. To me that means they had good parts availability as well when ever they did break down.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think that's a good idea Blaine. The Ram looks like one to look at, but may not be as reliable. Just being able to stand up and turn around is a huge plus when going long haul, and makes the rest area naps a lot more comfortable.

The camper conversion vans make the truck useless for trucking stuff. I like the wind surfer's idea of lockers with a mattress on top. All unitized so the whole shebang comes out in a jiffy. Like shipping crates in the boat. Charcoal for cooking. Salmon on the grill. Gatorade in the cup holder. What's not to like? :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:When I was working for Ryder some of our locations had them for rent as small cargo vans. From what I saw I never very many of them on the dead line, waiting for repairs. they were always ready to go. To me that means they had good parts availability as well when ever they did break down.
People treat them things like stolen mules....My FedEx guy sez they never seem to break down much.....

I'm thinking not this year. Ford is going to bring the full sized Transits over from Europe for '14....I'll look at those , too....Sorry, never been much of a Dodge kind of guy...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if you are going to camp alot....
buy an RV that is roomy enough for two to move about..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

never been much of a Dodge kind of guy...
Dodge fans vs. others are kinda like cat people vs. dog people. No offence to either........ :P
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
never been much of a Dodge kind of guy...
Dodge fans vs. others are kinda like cat people vs. dog people. No offence to either........ :P
The Dodge Sprints were Mercedes....Funny, they wouldn't work on the Mercedes, but only the identical Dodge Sprinters....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote:if you are going to camp alot....
buy an RV that is roomy enough for two to move about..
You got that right....It's me and Thor...Anyone else can bring a tent :P :P
Have you seen those Slide-A-Beds for pickups? I could cantilever a whole area out under a tarp :wink:

Also: Image
Last edited by Blaine on Mon May 20, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Those vans in the trucking industry are called sprinter vans, used for expedited freight. You can get them built so they'll hold couple of pallets or so. Custom builds will even have the ball floor to roll things in and out.

Mercy makes them obviously but look around, there's a lot of other brands as other folks have pointed out.

Where I was going with this, you may talk to dealers for just a basic freight van. The front compartment is good just like a regular truck with radio, a/c, seats, etc. The back is bare-bones. You can then kit it out as you wish.

I've mentioned to my wife a couple times it's a big temptation to sell off a bunch of stuff, buy one and do some traveling.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This one in Tacoma catches my eye....everything behind the driver and passenger is a blank sheet of paper...they can drop in one of two swiveling seats that would be legal for passengers.... Windows all the way around....They go for less than MSRP, as per usual....Trade in the Tacoma Pick Up and get a boost in milage 8)

http://www.fife.mbsprinterdealer.com/ne ... c2d5771111

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why do I need to be straight?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like a good idea to me.

Do they come in AWD? Just curious.

Last company I worked for was going to buy a few. Problem was a couple of the boys that would have taken them home at
the end of the day wouldn't have been able to get then up their driveways due to the height issue.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Why do I need to be straight?
The best way to learn is by teaching :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, wise,ancient one.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Yes, wise,ancient one.
Noisy Grasshopper always eaten by Wise Owl..... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If it was me Blaine-------------------Mercedes====== pain in the a## getting serviced (and $$$$$$$$$)

What would I do-------------------sleep in my Ford Escape and take my Kayak! :lol:

OK for you pal-------------------------use that nice reliable Toyota(ya got)

http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

and take your boat! :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:If it was me Blaine-------------------Mercedes====== pain in the a## getting serviced (and $$$$$$$$$)

What would I do-------------------sleep in my Ford Escape and take my Kayak! :lol:

OK for you pal-------------------------use that nice reliable Toyota(ya got)

http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

and take your boat! :wink:
Nah.....I've made do all my life....I want something I can spend a week or five in and stay comfortable...no more cramped tents :wink: If it don't work out, I'll sell ice cream in the summer :lol: I've thought of the Service Thing....I'll prolly have a look at the full sized 2014 Ford Transit when they come out later this year....They will prolly be a little cheaper, and easier to find service...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I'm having van envy just hearing about it. I've never been a pickup fan, have owned several when I needed them, but prefer a van.

I looked at the Sprinters when my '96 Express was about 4 years old. Back then they used the 3.0 inline 5 cyl. and a friend who worked at a Freightliner dealer told me they were one of the most durable trucks he had ever worked on. I just couldn't justify the extra cost for my business, and I didn't really need the extra space.

Should make an great camper.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've heard the straight 5 is a very smooth engine, no rocking couple. smooth is fast...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Maybe I missed something, what do you have against the pickup bed camper?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Maybe I missed something, what do you have against the pickup bed camper?
Or tents? Mine's 16'x20' and has lots of space... 10' ceiling, 5' at the eves... Using teepee poles like I do is a pain, but they make a frame kit that would fit in the p/u box along with all the necessities! Ok, it can be difficult to find camping spots big enough... but... everything in life is a challenge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Maybe I missed something, what do you have against the pickup bed camper?
Nothing really.....Just a little cramped...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have seen them with pull out extension things.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I have seen them with pull out extension things.
Those would prolly be too much for my budget. A fella would need a F250 to haul it around, and those full size spiffy campers are really $$$$$$$$$$ And, it would get around 12 mpg.... At this point, almost anything could happen....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Go BIG or go home!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Go BIG or go home!

Pfffft....the stereo in those suck.... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: If I 'wuz' looking at such recreational vehicles, esp. an import, I would check the inusrance costs and the maintenance schedules....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Check out Chalet folding trailers.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
As if THAT would matter over the tire noise!! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Check out Chalet folding trailers.
Those are pretty cool....I'm not sure I could fit in the door, though :shock: .... If I was riding in the trailer while I was towing it, I would exceed max gross weight... :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well,
You can not be at two places at the same time.
I am still thinking about the A frame one for my Bronco.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Well,
You can not be at two places at the same time.
I am still thinking about the A frame one for my Bronco.
I could end up in a motorcycle lean-to.....It's getting out and doing stuff that matters.....I think sometimes that men have to be miserable to have a good time :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Go see the shrink.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Where I buy all my stuff!

Get a cheap flight here-------------pay a visit(wine & dine ya) :wink:
Start your journey quest to wherever from here.

Know it is not---the big guy(but this place sells very good stuff)and with only 19,000 miles, a 2010----(and being a Ford) :D

Not to shabby! (and its the High Top)

http://www.simmons-rockwell.com/pre-own ... eMake=Ford

Honestly------they get the best value vehicles I have ever seen! and keep you Toyota!

Got my wifes SUV there last year(good friends with seller)my vehicle----bought in 2003 (2 year old Ford Escape w/20K miles) $8900 w/ext warranty
Still runs as new(well 2003)-----have put in an EGR valve and this last fall a $40 water pump! :wink: Still has even same exhaust!
Oh ya ---and a headlight and tail light bulb and set of 16" Firestone WinterForce tires! Not even rusted yet!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's the little bitty one....you could drive it up into the one I'm thinking about....those are pretty nice, though...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

They used the Dodge Sprinters as delivery vehicles at my old job and the only time I remember them coming to get either of the spares we kept at the shop was when someone bent one. I know you're not a Dodge guy but it's something to consider. :mrgreen:

I'm curious about the Transits myself even though I don't have a need/use for one.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

awp101 wrote:They used the Dodge Sprinters as delivery vehicles at my old job and the only time I remember them coming to get either of the spares we kept at the shop was when someone bent one. I know you're not a Dodge guy but it's something to consider. :mrgreen:

I'm curious about the Transits myself even though I don't have a need/use for one.
Those older Dodge Sprinters were Mercedes with different badges on them :wink: Dodge is coming out again with the EuroVans...a Fiat Diesel, front wheel drive version about the same size is in the works....
The 2014 Mercedes Sprinter has a new base engine...a 4cyl hooked up to a 7 speed, that purportedly get upper 20s mpg....Companies are finally wising up...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Here is how I remedied My quest. But I only camp 2 or 3 times a year.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pwl44m wrote:Here is how I remedied My quest. But I only camp 2 or 3 times a year.
Perry
Those are nice.....I was looking at a Jayco that would be sufficient for Thor and I....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

BlaineG wrote:

This one has a nice stereo :)

Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote: Those older Dodge Sprinters were Mercedes with different badges on them :wink:
Yes, but I suspect the cost of maintenance is slightly less for a pentastar as opposed to the three pointed one... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at