Need 1876 Replica Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ninety caliber
Levergunner

Need 1876 Replica Help

Post by ninety caliber »

Found three Chaparral 76's on gun broker. A 40-60 or 45-75 for $680"buy it now" or a 45-60 with dies for $1050. Am just beginning reloading and have wanted one FOREVER. Help me decide PLEASE!
Have heard some really bad reports on this brand,but can't find a Uberti anywhere.
Although new to this forum, am a long-time SASS shooter just getting into "big bore lever gun" side matches.
Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

N.C.
N.C.

"We deal in lead friend"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need 1876 Replica Help

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Chaparral 76's........some are good...some are terrible...
they do not have the greatest reputation in the levergun world...
be careful...
I would choose the 45-75 or 45-60........1st choice for me...45-60, for brass reasons
several guys have them here and like them...ask Hobie and Ysable Kid
I would only buy one face to face...
If you want a Uberti, check gunsamerica.com or gunsinternational.com
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Welcome to the best forum on the net!

I have a Taylor's 1876 in .45-60 and it is indeed a well made and handsome rifle (made by Uberti). I have seen a few of the Chaparral guns, and they are woefully lacking in quality fit and finish, and generally have mechanical issues as well. Why take a chance? Wait until you find a Uberti made rifle!
I chose the .45-60 caliber because it is easy to modify .45-70 brass to fit, and I can reload using .45-70 dies (slightly modified by shortening the body of the seater die to fit the shorter .45-60 case). There are many threads about the Italian 1876s on this forum, try doing a search and you will find plenty of information. here is a link to a couple threads:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=17822

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8780

Good luck!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I do like mine. I think it was one of the first. I'm an early adopter (i.e. gun nut for the 1876 SRC) and paid twice what they are asking. Is it perfect? No. Is it awful? No. Is it pretty good? Yes. I do need to shoot it more. Have to cast some bullets. House repairs have messed up my reloading space.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I sure like the Chaparral 50-95 Win. I purchased last year.
hayabusa
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D

Like Hobie, I was an "early adopter" and like mine. It is a .45-60 WCF with a long barrel (30", IIRC). I got lucky with mine. Some have had terrible experiences. A few years later Uberti came out with their rendition. I love Uberti guns and would have waited had I known they would be making one, even with it being more expensive.

I saw several of these being sold by CDNN and Cheaper-Than-Dirt last year for around $575. The $680 price is probably still reasonable as all guns went up in price since the last election and the shooting at Sandy Hook.

The >$1000 price though is way too high. You can pick up Lee Precision dies for between $35-$50. You will need to reload for the these calibers, but that is half the fun of it!

Let us know what you do.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Like Hobie and hayabusa , My Chapparal .50-95 is a fine rifle and a great shooter.
Mine is also an early one.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I too got one of the early Chaparrals, 45-75 cal with a 28" barrel, at the time I had to make cases from 348 Win, then Jamison came out with brass. . I LOVE it, took it out to Montana one year and had a ball shooting 300 or 400 yards with it out in the sagebrush areas. The prices have plummetted but now seem to be rising again. Last year CDNN had them for either 599 or 699 (I cant remember now), but again the prices seem to have risen.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958