For BigSky and the other VN Vets/aviation fans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

For BigSky and the other VN Vets/aviation fans

Post by awp101 »

I remember BigSky56 mentioning before how much he enjoyed seeing the old, trusty SPAD overhead...

May 4, 2013 - Douglas A-1H Skyraider (1 of 2)
Photo: May 1966 (RVN markings)
CREDIT

May 5, 2013 - Douglas A-1E Skyraider (2 of 2)
Photo: February 15, 1968 at McClellan AFB, Sacramento, CA
CREDIT

Both pics from http://www.planeaday.com/
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Re: For BigSky and the other VN Vets/aviation fans

Post by Hobie »

That is one of the coolest planes ever.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:That is one of the coolest planes ever.
Followed closely by this:

May 11, 2013 - Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat
Photo: March 26, 2011 - A Grumman F8F Bearcat aircraft performs aerial maneuvers during the 49th annual Marine Corps Air Station Yuma Air Show & Open House.
CREDIT

And this:

May 10, 2013 - Lockheed P-38 Lightning
Chino Airport, Planes of Fame
CREDIT
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If I close my eyes I can see hear and smell those sandys as they wing by eye level making eye contact with the pilot smelling the AV gas as he passes hearing the click click of the bomb release feeling the heat and blast of the napalm as it ignites, secondaries from ammo and grenades on charlie, the flight all made their runs then pulled back up to station then a lone sandy came in and did a slow pylon turn gave us the thumbs up and went about their business. That plane just has class none better then or now for ground troops & could linger for hours. Thanks for reminding me. danny
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They were specifically designed for CAS, so of course they could deliver better than the F-4s.

We've had very few dedicated CAS platforms, but the Skyraider was definitely a good one in it's time.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If I couldnt get a sandy next in line would be a A37. danny
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Danny, have you seen the 1991 movie Flight of the Intruder?

It is one of my favourite movies about A6's and the ending has a great part with a few Sandys and a Jolly Green Giant. I recommend it.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Spads were awesome, and the men who flew 'em had
iron gonads the size of grapefruits.

Nice pics!

-Stretch
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Danang, Vietnam 72-3. My Dad with his back to the camera.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Was at Chino thought I would share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Betterluckytg
Levergunner

Post by Betterluckytg »

Don't recall ever having CAS from a prop job, but will NEVER forget the Phantoms coming around, spewing their smokey exhaust, lining up, the "click, click... whufff whufff whufff whuFFF" the feeling "OH SHEEEI...!" and the overwhelming relief when they hit the treeline, and ..... Oh yeah! GET SOME!

And watching the Phantoms diving on gun emplacements in the DMZ through all that AA and wondering "How can those dudes DO THAT?" and "Why are they still alive?". Having never seen the other guys, the Phantom pilots are my heroes. Talk about balls of steel!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I love all that fixed wing, close air support/ground pounding stuff!!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Oz Chris Ive seen that movie I think it was loosely based on a true story. having flown alot I got to see the results of bomb runs by A6 and B52's. during pink team missions would sometimes see a monday morning bomb, unexploded 2000 lber 1000 lbers 500 lbers as I was at tree top altitude working the AO and hunting charlie. When a AF plane or army helio went down any aviation unit in the AO would break off and go to get the boys back with a flight of sandys from Da Nang a c130 gun ship and cobra gunships would show up. Ive seen a cobra hovering overtop a downed bird doing pedal turns expending ordnance to keep charlie off the crew till a recovery bird can come in. My life is their life applies to recovering GI's I have watched several birds go down trying to save GI's and the words of Christ come to mind, There is no greater love than to give up your life for another person. The look of relief on a guys face when you grab him and pull him in that bird is half of when the guns are quite and you clear the area and are headed back to base then there is a release of emotion.
CCash was your Dad stationed at DaNang if so that bird probably covered me more than once. danny
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Flight of the Intruder was based on a book of the same name, written by a former A-6 crewman. He's written a bunch more books.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sitting out in the Gulf of Tonkin on a carrier I saw the other end of these fellows -- leave full of ordnance and come back empty. First cruise in '66 we had a squad of the Spads and they were fun to watch. Second cruise ('67-'68) we didn't have any. Scuttlebutt of the time was that Charley had been tipped off by one of our newspaper articles that he needed to lead 'em farther and he started shooting them down too much. Obviously that wasn't quite true if they were still using them in the 70's.

Then mid '68 to mid '69 I was shore-based near Danang. I do not remember ever seeing a Spad fly by. Probably just my foggy memory, but I would have thought it would have registered more permanently with me if I'd seen some, given my time watching them during air ops at sea.

Anyway, thanks for the show, awp.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Danny.....yes, in Danang 72-3. He was in the 366th TFW "The Gunfighters" as they called themselves as they would mount mini gun pods to the bottom fuselage of the Phantoms. Thank you for your service, and all here who served!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8