Win 65 aperture sight thread?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Win 65 aperture sight thread?

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I have a model 65 with the peep sight on the bolt but missing the aperture sight cup..I cant tell by looking at it what thread it uses- I want to make one..Dont want to risk trying a tap in the fine threaded hole..Could somebody who has one of these tell me what thread is in it?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 65 aperture sight thread?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Alphawolf45 I don`t but here is a bump friend. Maybe somebody will see this and take the time to check theirs. :wink:
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

The Model 65 took a Winchester #98C bolt peep. Assuming that it takes the same aperture as the #98A that they put in the bolt of a Model 71, it'd be a 7/32 x 40 thread.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Thanks for the bump Chuck :)

WinM71 Thankyou I will turn up that thread tomorrow and see if it will fit.....Without the aperture in there - for years- there is a bit of rust in there..Will turn up a piece of rod a bit undersize and ease it in with some penetrating oil to see if I can clean that out before making an actual aperture.
I sure do appreciate the help.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I'd be tempted to put some oil on the aperture threads and spin a .22 or .24 bronze gun cleaning brush in there for a bit to clean them up. You can buy extra apertures in a variety of sizes from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... od862.aspx
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WinM71 , That is true but I bet Alphawolf45 would rather make one. I would file a couple flats on that test threaded piece to give that rust a place to go. Similar to a tap but non cutting???
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I whooped out an aperture for my Stevens 44 and 1/2 before going to the range today..Was in a hurry but got it done and on the road shortly..Would have also made aperture for the Win.65 had I read this earlier.Took the 65 with me but didnt shoot it, without the aperture , with that big hole it just dont feel right aiming at paper.

Here is picture of rifle I finished this week.Took it to range today for first time..Barstock build of a Highwall in .25-35 ..I started it 4 years and 8 months ago..Other than buying barrel blank, Made every bolt and spring and all else here in my home workshop....Shot real well. Nice gun.
021 resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Whoooeeeeee! Alphawolf, you're somethin' else! That highwall is just beeeyutyful.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Wonderful ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

You guys are the best..I sure appreciate the compliments..Guess you are okay with the laminated stock on the replication of the 1885 Winchester...? That is the first time I have used laminated..'bout halfway like it..Boyds sell the plain blanks for 40 bucks..Machines well..Not porous like the cheap grade of walnut I usually use.

Hey the thread pitch for the 65 aperture was correct per WinM71 advice..Thankyou..Now I can get on the paper with better accuracy..I am happy..This the gun that had been in fire before I traded for it 30 years ago and it laid on a shelf till I finally rebuilt it last year..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.