Big Horn Armory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Big Horn Armory

Post by SargeMarlin »

So, it's been a while since they announced the Model 89. Has anybody seen or handled one live yet? If so, how'd it shoot, cycle, look?

SM
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big Horn Armory

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm curious as well if anyone has had their hands on one yet.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AS OF THIS PAST JANUARY....THEY ARE IN PRODUCTION.....PER GUNBLAST
http://www.gunblast.com/BigHorn-SpikeDriver.htm
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I haven't seen one, and would like to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I just tried to call the company and left a voice message in hopes of a response. The website says 6-8 month lead on orders, so I hope to verify that if they call back. I will keep you all updated.

SM
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I saw two examples at the Cody Winter Gunshow, and there was one on the wall, for sale, at Rocky Mountain Sports, a month or so ago...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hey Buck. I know you have had a lot to say about these over the years. How'd they look?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Birdman wrote:Hey Buck. I know you have had a lot to say about these over the years. How'd they look?
Same question from me, too...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, I ordered one back around March, and they told me it would be 6-8 months potentially, but I only had enough aside for the down payment anyway, and that gave me some time to sell other stuff or otherwise save some funds (and find some factory ammo, since I always break in 'new' guns with factory ammo so there are no other variables).

Last week they notified me that they are about ready to ship mine, so I guess that once I raid the plastic bank, and get my paws on it, I will post a "Range Report".

It will be my first '1886' style gun (it is sort of half '86 and half '92 - thus the "89" designation halfway between those numbers), my first 'custom order' gun other than an Encore barrel or two, and my most expensive firearm ever (I haven't gotten into buying vintage collectable guns of 'collector' grade, though I've bought several vintage/used 'shooter' grade firearms over the years).

I ordered the 'carbine' style and with the 'hunter black' finish (all the metal is stainless steel though), and the walnut stock.

My Guide Gun may get pretty jealous; the Spike Driver is exactly the same length (37"), weighs 6 ounces less, holds one more round, and. . . is prettier. . . :wink:

Jeff Quinn is here holding the shorter-magazine version 'rifle', but it sure looks well-built.
Spike Driver vs Marlin.jpg
This is the 'glamour shot' from their website of the carbine, but mine will have the black finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

They have finally decided to offer the longer magazine on the rifle version. Probably too many inquiries about it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:They have finally decided to offer the longer magazine on the rifle version. Probably too many inquiries about it.
I think it was 'an option' when I ordered, and I thought about it seriously, but the gun it was 'replacing' was my Guide Gun, so I decided to keep the overall size the same. I have my 444 Marlin that is about the same size as their rifle version, if I need big-gun power.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:They have finally decided to offer the longer magazine on the rifle version. Probably too many inquiries about it.
I think it was 'an option' when I ordered, and I thought about it seriously, but the gun it was 'replacing' was my Guide Gun, so I decided to keep the overall size the same. I have my 444 Marlin that is about the same size as their rifle version, if I need big-gun power.
The 500 is not more powerful than the .444? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
The 500 is not more powerful than the .444? :?
They're both in the 3,000 ft-lb class from a long gun, and I wouldn't expect all that much difference in 'terminal effect' from either one. BOTH are plenty for anything I'd ever take a shot at.

For a long-action firearm, that is often with a 20" or longer barrel, when talking 'leverguns', there are plenty of 444 Marlins, 405 Winchesters, or strong 45-70's out there, not to mention the 450 Marlins, and 450 Alaskans and so on.

When it comes to short-actions, short barrels, or short lever-throws, in the 'really powerful' class, it comes down to the 454 Casull in the Rossi 92, and now the 500 S&W in the Bighorn 89.

Here's the ballistics sheet they provide:

http://www.bighornarmory.com/downloads/ ... 9fd485e01/

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

There was one for sale on GB not so long ago....I'm thinking within the last 3 months.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rocky Mountain Sports in Cody has another one on consignment in the store.. $2,400 will send it home with you... I've handled this one more than just a bit.. (belongs to a friend of mine..) i still don't like the way they feel in the hand.. The lever/trigger guard feels awkward to me. The stock feels "clubby" in my hands, and the fore end has a pronounced bulge in its mid-section.. This particular rifle has a very tall front sight, to match a bolt-mounted peep sight arrangement that resembles the Williams "sliding" rear sight seen on some bolt guns.. I have to raise my cheeck off the stock a bit to pick up the sights.. There is no rear dovetail in the barrel for a conventional rear sight..

I still have my previous objections to the angled locking geometry, which will only accelerate battering of bolt, receiver and locking lugs..

For the price, I'd want something better thought-out..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:....for the price, I'd want something better thought-out..
I guess I'll have to see if I like it enough better than my Guide Gun to justify the difference. So far if one wants a 500 S&W lever gun, there aren't any "better thought-out" ones I was able to find to choose from.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

There will be.....
Regards

Buck

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:There will be.....
That's not a surprise - most of the time I wait and wait and finally can't wait any more, and get something, something better comes along a week later that I wish I'd got instead. :?

I think that's a cycle I've repeated hundreds of times with all kinds of purchases, and at least a dozen or so times with guns.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Buck Elliott wrote:... i still don't like the way they feel in the hand.. The lever/trigger guard feels awkward to me.
They do seem to have a very short radius to the lever/grip. Though perhaps not too far off from a 71 short tang. Hard to tell just eyeball'in it.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Boy, Buck, I sure hope you are right when you say "there will be"! :D

I think with all the money these companies invest in R&D in order to manufacture neat guns, they would simply be better off sticking with totally original design and styling.