.22 CB Long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

.22 CB Long

Post by QCI Winchesters »

So, my fiance was shooting my 77/22 today, with some CB longs. Her target was a discarded whiskey bottle. At 50ft. I was sure that I heard two "tinks" on the bottle, and I was SURE I saw it move, yet there it stood, unharmed! :( I had her fire again, while I watched closely with my binocular. Sure enough, I saw the bullet arc in, strike the bottle, and go "weeeee" off to the right! I had her close the distance to about 30ft. and try again, finally broke the bottle. Jeeez, you sure would not want to use CB Longs for anything serious!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .22 CB Long

Post by olyinaz »

It would be interesting to see if they perform better out of a pistol, or in an old rifle with a nice smooth bore. There's no powder to burn, so in your 77/22 the projectile could actually be slowing down quite a bit before leaving the barrel (in fact, I'd bet on it). It sounds like you were only getting about 2-300fps!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If it was glancing off the rather thick glass, I'm not surprised...at the proper angle, glass will deflect bullets.....There is a reason the FBI established a proper load for their old service revolvers in .38.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Later on we shot some moon snail shells, and some big clam shells. It took three shots to penetrate a moon snail, two of the bullets actually left a lead smear on the shell!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Perhaps, a .243 would be better.... We now have it on expert authority that it is good for anything in CONUS..:idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

QCI Winchesters wrote:Later on we shot some moon snail shells, and some big clam shells. It took three shots to penetrate a moon snail, two of the bullets actually left a lead smear on the shell!
Please try them on a moon pie and report back. :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

My SIL and I were screwing around out back shooting super colibri 22's at a piecs of metal junk and one came back at us. Made me really rethink those things.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

sore shoulder wrote:My SIL and I were screwing around out back shooting super colibri 22's at a piecs of metal junk and one came back at us. Made me really rethink those things.
Sorry to be a PIA, but it has happened to me as well. 22's can come back at you.

Seriously, and I don't understand the physics, but some projectiles will come back.

Whisky bottles?, I hope you cleaned up the mess :) .

All the best, Mark
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:Perhaps, a .243 would be better.... We now have it on expert authority that it is good for anything in CONUS..:idea:
:lol: You need to simmer down brother Blaine, :P
Don’t make me get Ms. J after ya. :wink:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We shoot a lot of CCI Long in the back here. I bought a case of 1000 for $25 a while back. Out of the 16.5 in Henry they get 706 fps. In a 20 in barrel bolt gun they get 694 fps average. Mediocre accuracy but fun and quiet. We're about out of them so I got CCI Match Short. These are way louder but scary accurate and get 820fps in the short rifle and 816 fps in the longer one.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

BlaineG wrote:Perhaps, a .243 would be better....
not for the snail
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

CB Longs, from my Ruger 4", will (at 10 ft.)only penetrate hard wood (walnut) to the point that the bullets base is flush with the outside of the board. They are quiet and fun to shoot though.
I bought them to function test antique rifles made for Black Powder like this one.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I shot 3 boxes of the CB longs. Didn't care for them. They seemed very erratic in report and POI. CB Shorts have always been very consistent. Never bothered with the longs again. My main squirrel load was the CBShort out of my Dad's 24" Marlin M39. The hammer hitting the pin was the loudest noise you could hear. I shot well 300 gray sqills with combo. Never had a single bullet not pass thru.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

sore shoulder wrote:My SIL and I were screwing around out back shooting super colibri 22's at a piecs of metal junk and one came back at us. Made me really rethink those things.
I shoot those in the house at the pellet gun target, you know on those long winter days and you have had about two coffiee pots too many to drink
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I dropped 2 old dry does that wouldnt stay out of my garden and one buck that jumped my fence and got a leg hung up and broke. the middle of the night I just slipped a 22 cb cap between those does ribs into the heart bet they didnt go 10 ft the buck I head shot. dont know how many packrats and cats in the barn Ive dropped too. its shot placement. danny
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When shooting near houses I use CCI CB Longs in my 9422 on squirrels , once shot a fox with a CB Long, point blank range in the back of the head, the fox was in a neighbours garden so I had to be quiet... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.