For you Parker lovers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

For you Parker lovers

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Re: For you Parker lovers

Post by Hobie »

Thank you!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Parker shotguns were my all time favorite guns to work on when I worked for Westley Richards.
Sadly it was my job to to cut down beautiful Damascus barrels and re-sleeve them with modern steel.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I don't know if it was DelGrego III or II . But one of them used to come down to Charlottesville every year or so . There is a PArker collector there that had DelGrego make him a set of A-1 Specials in all gauges . They took some very fine VHE guns and upgraded them . I know he had 12 , 16 , 20 , 28 and 410 and very well may have had a 10 gauge done as well .

But each time DelGrego finished a gun he'd drive it down to Charlottesville and there'd be a rather big invitation only cocktail party for the unveiling shall we say . I was supposed to go to one of them and was unable to attend at the last minute .

Later I saw one of the guns and I gotta say even though I knew it was an upgrade it was something to see !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Think i shot a Parker for the first time when I was maybe 11 so that was 40 years ago !

At the moment I only have three , a pair of V grade 12's and a GH 16 damascus !

But I still want a E grade hammerless in 10 gauge and quite possibly an 8 gauge as well !

And yeah I shot them all , just not as much as I used to LOL's !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have an old Parker Trojan in 16ga, 2 1/2" chambers. Old, not pretty, the pheasants and priairie chickens sure don't care for it, but I love it.

I would love to have a real nice Parker in 16ga.

Would like a good shooter in 10ga, for ducks and geese too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I only have the one, a VH, but it is a treasure...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote: Would like a good shooter in 10ga, for ducks and geese too.
Without a doubt my three favourite gauges are the 10 gauge with 2 7/8" chambers , the 16 gauge and the 28 gauge !

The 10 gauge 2 7/8" with 1 1/4 ounces of shot , the 16 gauge with an ounce and the 28 gauge with 3/4 of an ounce are all quite nice to shoot on the skeet field , dove field or uplands .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

10ga works great on waterfowl. People have misconceptin that the 10ga just a big long range cannon. Nothing could be further from the truth, I shoot essentially 12ga loads ( and not big 12ga payloads) out of mine at ducks, the larger bore I think, puts more bb's on target.

I would like a 10ga that is a bit more svelt, for upland hunting, my two 10ga doubles (an o/u and a sxs) are modern guns, heavy, but just killed a turkey sunday with the o/u and plan on shooting an Iowa bird this weekend. (providing there is no snow)

16ga, well, who doesn't love the 16ga, and I have had my 28ga only a year and quickly growing on me even on pheasants.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:I would like a 10ga that is a bit more svelt, for upland hunting, my two 10ga doubles (an o/u and a sxs) are modern guns, heavy, but just killed a turkey sunday with the o/u and plan on shooting an Iowa bird this weekend.
You and I ever meet up I'll let you shoot my W&C Scott damascus 10 gauge with my 1 1/4 ounce loads it feels like a birdgun !

Then I'll let you try my Ithaca NID 10 gauge 2 7/8" with fluid steel barrels . After the Scott the Ithaca feels like a club !

I've had a few Parker 10 gauge hammerless in my hands and some of them are of bird gun quality (weightwise) and some are more of the waterfowl thing . Makes no difference to me a Parker (to me) has a feel unto itself .

Reminds me I once tried to explain how a gun can "feel good" to an idiot I used to work with . His response to me was a guns a gun they all feel the same . Which pretty much pointed out that he had no feeling or love for firearms in general .

A couple months later he asked me what was the better handgun to get between three different auto loaders . And I told him as he had already pointed out they were ALL THE SAME . I still think he's an idiot !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:I have had my 28ga only a year and quickly growing on me even on pheasants.

Twentyfive years ago when I was shooting skeet and trap competitively my skeet averages were all AA or AAA . Only one I wasn't AAA in was the 12 gauge . My 12 and 20 averages stayed at about 98% all the time , the 28 however was ALWAYS my highest average and generally stayed at 98.5% which means I typically missed 15 birds out of a 1000 with the 28 geauge each year . The 28 gauge was also the first gauge I ever went 100 straight with . Did it with the three big ones but never did any better then a lone 99 and a bucket load of 98"s with the 410 my 410 average usually stayed between 96.5 and 97 % .

I'm taking a friend out to the gunclub tommorrow to try out his new to him Krieghoff K-80 tube set !
This fellows an active 2 star at the Pentagon so this should be enlightening to say the least as he wants me to give him instruction . But he's a pretty decent guy I've known him and done buisness with him for about 3 years now . He does not come across in the way I expect brass to come across and we have a fair amount of those guys in the shop from time to time .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Local gun shop has an 8ga Parker. Have handled. Now, it is a cannon. Good grief.
An old feller in Michigan used it to shoot deer with, he had the shakes really bad and this gun was only one heavy enough that he could hold steady.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:Local gun shop has an 8ga Parker. Have handled. Now, it is a cannon. Good grief.
An old feller in Michigan used it to shoot deer with, he had the shakes really bad and this gun was only one heavy enough that he could hold steady.

Is the 8 gauge a hammer gun or hammerless ?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I have a 1908 VH 20 gauge.

Dad got it cheap due to a cracked stock after gunsmith school and made a new stock from birdseye maple he fished out of a pulp bog in Maine. I used to post pictures of it on the web now and then, just to horrify the purists :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I’m kinda found of those Parker’s myself. :wink: