STEVENS 425 HIGH POWER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cab32
Levergunner

Re: STEVENS 425 HIGH POWER

Post by cab32 »

just returned from a show where I bought a rough Stevens 425 parts gun. Had never seen one so I googled and found this thread.
gun is marked 30-30 Rem and the serial is 3996 marked on the lower tang under the lever. Hope this helps.
Is this chambered for the 30 Rem rimless?
CAB
cab32
Levergunner

Post by cab32 »

I have #3996 in 30 Rem. It is missing the wood, sights, magazine spring and cap. There are replacement stocks available but the price is $135. I am looking for someone who has a good stock and is willing to trace it or photograph it on graph paper as well as measure the stock. With a graphed tracing and measurements along with the photos I already have, I can make a stock. I only need the surface measurements as the inletting is simply governed by the reciever.
CAB
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I inherited one in 35 remington about 15 years ago . I think I know gave you the serial # on another site.
I seen 2 others for sale in Canada web sites
in the last year; both in the same 35 Remington.
A store called Arc-Inter in Montreal Quebec I believe had the last one for $600.00 on their web site. It sold fast I was going to call but I figured maybe they only spoke french and lately I've been frustrated enough!
The one I inherited from my Great Uncle i'm pretty sure He bought it used in the 1940's.
I shot a 12 point whitetail with it in 1999 and haven't shot it since. I'm afraid if something should fail it cannot be fixed for no parts.

Good memories ; thanks

Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I should tell you in case you have miss-placed my serial # that is is in the 4000 to 4400 range.
I have never seen or seen for sale the higher grades in any caliber.

Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

earlmck wrote:I can't believe it. Starting page 3 of an interesting thread and not a single picture :shock: .
what he said
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

bulldog1935 wrote:
earlmck wrote:I can't believe it. Starting page 3 of an interesting thread and not a single picture :shock: .
what he said
will get mine out and take pictures tonight

serial # 3234 in 25 remington
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here is picture of my stevens 425, serial # 3234, in 25 remington caliber:

waiting to get some properly headstamped brass and will try it out soon, i hope.
cable
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

HFCable that's a nice looking rifle. What loads have shot in it? What is its value? Assuming it would be up there a ways. It is surprising that rifle didn't sell better or be more popular.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

they often bring quite a bit, but i got this one in an odd sort of auction last year for just over 300$

the loads are balistically the same as 25/35 but i have got to get some ammo loaded, as the weather is finally ready for shooting gain
cable
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks for the picture, cable. That is a fine looking rifle. Lots of character: I'd like to have one just like it. I have a couple of Remington model 14's in the 25 Remington, and would say it is closer to a 25/35 Improved in powder capacity. I've been making mine out of 30 Remington brass which Remington made a nice run of last year. I like to take them gently down to 25 via an intermediate 7mm step (I have a handy 7/08 die) but you would probably be OK going direct to the 25.

Thanks to fellow levergunner Bill in Oregon I have a few correctly headstamped 25 Rems but unless some rare event happens I suspect most of my 25 Rems will always have the 30 Rem stamp on them. At least that is a big enough difference to be visually obvious :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

earlmck wrote:Thanks for the picture, cable. That is a fine looking rifle. Lots of character: I'd like to have one just like it. I have a couple of Remington model 14's in the 25 Remington, and would say it is closer to a 25/35 Improved in powder capacity. I've been making mine out of 30 Remington brass which Remington made a nice run of last year. I like to take them gently down to 25 via an intermediate 7mm step (I have a handy 7/08 die) but you would probably be OK going direct to the 25.

Thanks to fellow levergunner Bill in Oregon I have a few correctly headstamped 25 Rems but unless some rare event happens I suspect most of my 25 Rems will always have the 30 Rem stamp on them. At least that is a big enough difference to be visually obvious :D
thanks for the info! i believe i will enjoy this little rifle. i have some properly headstamped cases on back order [ i have so many different calibers, i want to be sure i am picking up the right stuff ]

now i just have to find a tang sight for it!
cable
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Post by vintageautomobilia »

NEW UPDATE:

We now have 184 Stevens High Power rifles on our list. The highest serial number is still 5594 and the lowest is still 1021.
The most popular caliber is .30 Rem with 70 guns, followed by .35 Rem with 60 guns. Then comes .25 Rem with 23 guns and .32 Rem with 21 guns. (We have 2 guns with unknown calibers.)

We have found only a couple of the fancier versions of the 425 High Power, but their serial numbers are not different from the standard rifles. One very interesting version has been found. It is a Stevens 425 High Power Saddle Ring Carbine, it's marked 425-C on the barrel, and it has a full length magazine with two barrel bands. I've never seen another one. Has anyone??

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
benben
Levergunner

Post by benben »

hi
I got a Steven hi power 425 with the serial#1102 today for $100.- in a very nice condition like the pictures you see up here at this page.
I have shot this rifle some years ago and this year my friend like to sell this one.nice Christmas gift for me.
nice Forum all a very nice merry Christmas and a happy new year from canada

Benben
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

benben wrote:hi
I got a Steven hi power 425 with the serial#1102 today for $100.- in a very nice condition like the pictures you see up here at this page.
I have shot this rifle some years ago and this year my friend like to sell this one.nice Christmas gift for me.
nice Forum all a very nice merry Christmas and a happy new year from canada

Benben
What is the caliber??

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
benben
Levergunner

Post by benben »

hello
sorry forget the caliber.
it is Remington .35
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

mine is ser 3188 in 30 rem just got brass so i hope to shoot soon as released from doc. later, mh
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Here's a photo of my Stevens High Power Saddle Ring Carbine, Model 425-C, serial #4076. Note the full length magazine and the barrel bands. This is the only such gun on our list. has anyone seen another?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Take a picture of it with you holding it in your hands.

I am amazed that a post made 6 years ago is still in cyber holdings.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Take a picture of it with you holding it in your hands.
vintageautomobilia wrote:Here's a photo of my Stevens High Power Saddle Ring Carbine, Model 425-C, serial #4076. Note the full length magazine and the barrel bands. This is the only such gun on our list. has anyone seen another?
Take from the right side... I love the wood on that carbine!

I would probably just look at one of those and pass it on by, as I'm not a big fan of Marlins... and rarely fondle one in a gunshop.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Take a picture of it with you holding it in your hands.
vintageautomobilia wrote:Here's a photo of my Stevens High Power Saddle Ring Carbine, Model 425-C, serial #4076. Note the full length magazine and the barrel bands. This is the only such gun on our list. has anyone seen another?
Take from the right side... I love the wood on that carbine!

I would probably just look at one of those and pass it on by, as I'm not a big fan of Marlins... and rarely fondle one in a gunshop.
and people often comment that the stevens High Power looks like the marlin.......when really it is the other way around. the marlin of that time period is the square bolt 93.....this stevens looks like the later marlin 336, many years later. if any copy catting was done it was marlin that did it.

of course, i do like marlines and i really like almost all the lever guns, and my accumulation [ hard to call it a collection ] has the aim of having an example of most of the major types. not one of each caliber of each model, but just a representative example [ including reproductions for those unaffordable otherwise] of most of the common major developments. and an example of most of the lever action 22 rim fires in particular.
cable
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Classic looking rifle. I didn't know about them. Thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Here are photos of the right side of my Stevens 425-C Saddle Ring Carbine, and also a photo of the front sight and barrel band, plus photos of the maker's mark and model mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is really a very fine gun ! jealous !

love those sights, especially the rear sight !
cable
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

CAB can I get a hammer spring from your parts gun?
Wingman74
Levergunner

Post by Wingman74 »

Hi, just registered as I'm trying to learn a bit about this rifle that just came into my posession. Thought I would post its a Stevens 425 high power nickel steel in .25 remington. Serial #2109. End of the hammer is broken off. Light surface rust, stock is probably a 6/10. Seems to function well. Looking to sell, might try and find a hammer and reblue if that would increase the value. Thoughts? Value?
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

There could be another reason no numbers are above the 5XXX range. Stevens may have just reused numbers ie: started back at number 1 once 5XXX was reached. They did this with their Stevens Favorite single shot of which they made a LOT, I come across 2 or 3 digit Favorites guns all the time. I even owned number 01 at one point (32 rimfire). I didn't see any numbers repeat in your survey, but you may need more data to statistically say there are no repetitions. Just my 2 cents
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Woodenman
Levergunner

Post by Woodenman »

I have #1804 in 30-30.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Talk about a blast from the past. Welcome to the forum!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Guns International lists one Stevens 425 for sale...I don't see a serial number in the pictures.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101819345

Price: $1,999.00

Curio/Relic: Yes
Rifle Caliber: .35 Remington
Manufacturer: Stevens
Model: High Power 425
Barrel Length: 22
Condition: good
Metal Condition: good
Wood Condition: good
Bore Condition: shiny with good rifling
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Woodenman
Levergunner

Post by Woodenman »

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve had my 425 for 30 years. It’s in very good condition. Looking forward to getting to know the folks on the forum,