gcburt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

gcburt

Post by Mescalero »

In my scheme of things, for a while now and for the foreseeable future; the Marlin Camp.45ACP has taken the place of the short barreled shotgun.
It is short, light, fires a pistol cartridge of some substance.
In the case of your torn rotator cup, shooting mine is very simular to shooting my Ruger10-22.
The heft of the carbine and semi- automatic action make recoil negligable.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: gcburt

Post by Sixgun »

I'll agree. You can rip up some stuff with them in short order and they are cheap enough that you don't have to worry about keeping it dent/ding/rust free. I've shot a few but they were not mine.

I passed on one of them several months ago, regretting it. I could have had it for 4.

Out of curiosity, are they blowback or do they have some kind of a gas system?-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

I have a 9mm carbine with a red-dot-sight that I finally zeroed last Friday. Not bad to shoot - put about 50 rounds through it in the zeroing and followup process without too much bother to my sholder.

But I did enjoy the Marlin 410 even though it wasn't the short model.

Looking in this area there was a Winchester 9410 Camp for $1K in the classifieds for a while.

Hasn't been a Marlin in the classifieds. A dealer in the area has a Rossi 410 lever 20 in barrel for just under $500.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blowback as far as I can tell.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've been keeping my eye out for one, that isn't outrageously priced, for some time. That'll teach me to procrastinate. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jeepnik,
Trust a fellow 1917 S&W shooter.......... you won't regret it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A friend has the KelTec .45 carbine.....He seems more than pleased with it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:jeepnik,
I fired a friends. :mrgreen: But he won't sell. :(
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Does not mean he is not a friend............ just that he knows what he has.
I will not sell mine either.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jeepnik wrote:
Mescalero wrote:jeepnik,
I fired a friends. :mrgreen: But he won't sell. :(
Oh yeah, my 1937 Brazilian contract is a pretty good shooter. I am trying to work up loads for 250gr gas checks - just because...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Is that a Brazilian Navy gun?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The Brazilians were a police contract in 1937; blued S&W 1917 models with the Brazilian national crest with the date 1937 above it. 5" barrel, fixed sight, 45ACP. Same as 1917 S&W N frame, sold surplus in USA in 1988 or so.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mine is the Navy model,
little of the original remains.
But with a 6" bull barrel,
Bo-Mar rib,trigger & hammer widened,
no trigger work, it was great as it came
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Mescalero wrote:Mine is the Navy model,
little of the original remains.
But with a 6" bull barrel,
Bo-Mar rib,trigger & hammer widened,
no trigger work, it was great as it came
I don't think that I know what the Navy model is. Is it like the 1937 except with different markings? For export or national use?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Seems I remember the advertisement said they were issued to Brazil navy, the rust on it seemed to confirm exposure to salt air.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:Does not mean he is not a friend............ just that he knows what he has.
I will not sell mine either.
So, how about putting me in you will? :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since we've drifted into 1917 territory, mines a 1937 contract. It has, without a doubt, the best trigger of any revolver I own, and that includes some that have been smithed. Other than taking it apart and completely cleaning it, the only changes were some new grips and a new front sight. I've never liked the old ones S&W put on fixed sighted guns. It has whatever finish was left on it when I got it, a few dings here and there, so folks don't suspect what hides under it's skin. More than a few have been pleasantly surprised when they've fire it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are several 'classic' pistol-caliber carbines we all know and they tend to get all the fame and glory.
  • The 9mm (and 45 ACP) Uzi
    The 9mm Colt AR-15
    The 45 ACP Thompson
But over the years I've opted for some different ones for the following reasons:
  • The 9mm Calico 900/950 - 'pistol' version not much bigger than Uzi and the compact magazines hold either 50 or 100 rounds vs. the bulky 'stick' magazines of the Uzi. Downside is they are undoubtedly more fragile than the Uzi, which is made of a total of about six surplus bulldozer-parts, but I seldom parachute into enemy territory anymore, and shoot far more tennis balls and tin cans than bad-guys.

The 9mm Ruger Carbine - same size as 10/22, slightly heavier than M1 Carbine, equally durable and very accurate. Made in 40 S&W also, and both versions use same magazines as Ruger pistols, including extra-long high-capacity ones if desired. Only downside I can see is they are no longer made, but certainly vs. the 9mm AR's, they are way more ergonomic, and hold more rounds in a more compact magazine. More reliable too, as far as I can tell.

The 45 ACP Marlin Camp Carbine - similar to the Ruger carbine, and the only 'weak points' I see are you have to make sure you tip up the 'feed ramp' when you reassemble it, and an aftermarket buffer will last longer than the factory ones. Uses regular and 'extended' 1911 magazines. Definitely not the 'classic' the Thompson is, but far handier to tote, and when scoped you can see they are quite accurate.

When they were available, one could get a Calico, Ruger Carbine, and Marlin Camp Carbine for not much more than the cost of any one of the 'famous three'.

As far as 'collectability' give me a Thompson, M1 Carbine, and maybe even the 9mm AR, but as far as 'shootability' and 'affordability' give me the underdogs any day.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I spoke in error...My Friend's carbine is a HiPoint, not a KelTec... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD mentions one "carbine" I've dithered over for years. That would be the Thompson. The real reason for wanting one is that it's what, albeit in the full auto model, what my dad carried during WWII. But, they are HEAVY (GI's in WWII carried some heavy weapons, and I mean weight wise) weapons. Granted I wouldn't be carrying it all day and mile after mile (though neither did dad, he was an armored troop). But there is a strong appeal.

It would make one heck of a home defense firearm with a big ole drum hung underneath. :mrgreen: That outlaw biker gang or zombies would think twice before taking you on.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

damienph wrote:The Brazilians were a police contract in 1937; blued S&W 1917 models with the Brazilian national crest with the date 1937 above it. 5" barrel, fixed sight, 45ACP. Same as 1917 S&W N frame, sold surplus in USA in 1988 or so.
damienph, two contracts were made with S&W to supply .45s to Brazil: one in 1937 for the 1917 model, the other for the Minas Gerais State Military Police, for M-1950 .45s. They're both very good guns. The 1917 is better made, though. A soft lead 230 grain bullet @ 800 fps does wonders in social abatement efforts.
Antonio
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Machado wrote:
damienph wrote:The Brazilians were a police contract in 1937; blued S&W 1917 models with the Brazilian national crest with the date 1937 above it. 5" barrel, fixed sight, 45ACP. Same as 1917 S&W N frame, sold surplus in USA in 1988 or so.
damienph, two contracts were made with S&W to supply .45s to Brazil: one in 1937 for the 1917 model, the other for the Minas Gerais State Military Police, for M-1950 .45s. They're both very good guns. The 1917 is better made, though. A soft lead 230 grain bullet @ 800 fps does wonders in social abatement efforts.
Antonio
Thanks for the info Antonio, I was only aware of the 1937s. I am correct that they were purchased to be issued to Police?
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

[/quote]
Thanks for the info Antonio, I was only aware of the 1937s. I am correct that they were purchased to be issued to Police?[/quote]

The M-1950s were purchased to be issued to the State Military Police. The 1917s were issued to the Army and made available to officers for individual purchase. Ditto for the Colt 1911A1, in 3 contracts: 1937, 1942 and 1950.
Best,
Antonio
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:The 9mm Ruger Carbine - same size as 10/22, slightly heavier than M1 Carbine, equally durable and very accurate. Made in 40 S&W also, and both versions use same magazines as Ruger pistols, including extra-long high-capacity ones if desired. Only downside I can see is they are no longer made, but certainly vs. the 9mm AR's, they are way more ergonomic, and hold more rounds in a more compact magazine. More reliable too, as far as I can tell.
I had the Ruger carbine in .40 S&W and I can't agree re. weight - I think they're much heavier than a 10/22 but I supposed the .40 is heavier than the 9mm since the bolt has to soak up more recoil energy. I also can't agree re. magazines - 9mm AR mags are high cap but Rugers only come in 15 or 10 rd variants and if you opt for aftermarket high caps for the Ruger reliability goes out the window. Nor can I agree re. ergonomics, many of us like pistol grips and like the ergonomics of an AR - but I had no problem with my Ruger, it was simply too heavy and ungainly vs. the .40 S&W Just Right Carbine that I replaced it with. So I don't think there's anything "certain" about your opinions here but rather they are exactly that - your opinions. Other's mileage may vary.

I love pistol caliber carbines, with a Winchester 92 or clone perhaps being my favorite! :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright