slingshot terminal ballistics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

slingshot terminal ballistics

Post by Grizz »

http://slingshotforum.com/blog/11/entry ... lingshots/

very interesting stuff here. the chart on velocity retardation is interesting. this seems to be a shadow or reflection of the counter-intuitive observation of heavy projectiles penetrating farther at lower velocities.

also, slingshot projectiles penetrate gelatin better than they penetrate meat, and there needs to be some forensic studies to figure which wrist-rocket projectile is best for home defense. warning, wrist-rockets are illegal in some tyranies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASLW2j2c ... e=youtu.be

comments?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: slingshot terminal ballistics

Post by Blaine »

You and I together couldn't pull back a couple of those rubbers......That's one sturdy *** :idea: If I ever decide to do this, I expect a smaller, lighter pull wrist rocket and 000 Buck is the way I'll go....IIRC from my youth, buckshot and a wrist rocket was sufficient to penetrate a 1/4" sheet of plywood....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Acorns from a wrist rocket would take out frogs at 3-5 paces. Grit used for ducks and chickens will pattern nice enough to wack yellowjackets in midair. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I couldn't help but notice the big scar across the top of the knuckle on his slingshot holding hand and I wonder how it got there? I also noticed that he was real careful to keep his head and ear out of the way of the pouch, rubber bands and projectile. I think I'd give up some velocity in order to keep everything I value behind the line of fire.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

IIRC 25yds. M10 nut! Head shot!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath,

I use to go through a box of m10 nuts with my wrist rocket. I still carry a sling with me in in one form or another where ever I travel. I have a one handed sling that I have carried in my back pocket around the world several times. In my hiking, day pack, or hunting backpack i carry a wrist sling with two film canisters of a variety of shot size. I think a sling is essential gear for an outdoorsman. Nice shooting on the wood pigeon.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rjohns94 wrote:Nath,

I see to go through a box of m10 nuts with my wrist rocket. I still carry a sling with me in in one form or another where ever I travel. I have a one handed sling that I have carried in my back pocket around the world several times. In my hiking, day pack, or hunting back I carry a wrist sling with two film canisters of a variety of shot size. I think a sling is essential gear for an outdoorsman. Nice shooting on the wood pigeon.
Excellent Mike and thankyou.

I find them excellent in educating dogs and cats not to foul our path! Not pulled to far back mind!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I had one of those wrist rockets just after high school and it was amazing. It was a metal frame with heavy rubber sling and leather rock holder.

I used to collect pig iron balls from the railroad tracks - they were almost perfect for slingshots. The railroad ships iron balls, about the size of chick-peas, in open cars. It's how they transport bulk iron. They're quite round and fairly uniform in size, although a little rough. Many spill out along the way, you can find them all along the tracks. I collected a bagful which I never used up.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I could barely hit the broad side of a barn, from the inside at that, with a slingshot. My shots never went straight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Those are good links. thank you.

anyone have any stories about killing rabbits? what kind of penetration? or deer? from the tests, a heart shot on a deer should be do-able.

Sprague is using steel balls, and lead should penetrate farther if it doesn't deform. Several avenues of curiosity available.

It would have been fun to see the marbles hitting the bricks with a hi-speed camera. I bet they deformed quite a bit while reversing direction, eh?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

El Chivo: They are taconite pellets, yes they worked great. Found a lot up here on the tracks too.

RJohns94: Thanks was trying to remember where I heard about using nuts for ammo. Haven't tried yet.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Grizz wrote:Those are good links. thank you.

anyone have any stories about killing rabbits? what kind of penetration? or deer? from the tests, a heart shot on a deer should be do-able.

Sprague is using steel balls, and lead should penetrate farther if it doesn't deform. Several avenues of curiosity available.

It would have been fun to see the marbles hitting the bricks with a hi-speed camera. I bet they deformed quite a bit while reversing direction, eh?
Not shot many, but the two rabbits I have taken with sling shots no penertration was achieved at all. I was not using the mst powerfull of set ups though!!

If you want penetration then look into sling bows!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I Wanna see some Chrono reports :lol: I'm with Piller on accuracy.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

El Chivo: They are taconite pellets, yes they worked great. Found a lot up here on the tracks too.
Thanks, learn something new every day:

To process taconite, the ore is ground into a fine powder, the magnetite is separated from the gangue by strong magnets, and the powdered iron concentrate is combined with a binder such as bentonite clay and limestone as a flux. As a last step, it is rolled into pellets about one centimeter in diameter that contain approximately 65% iron. The pellets are fired at a very high temperatures to harden them and make them durable. This is to ensure that the blast furnace charge remains porous enough to allow heated gas to pass through and react with the pelletized ore. Firing the pellet oxidizes the magnetite (Fe3O4) to hematite (Fe2O3), an exothermic reaction that reduces the cost of pelletizing the concentrate. E. W. Davis of the University of Minnesota Mines Experiment Station is credited with developing the pelletizing process. Since the commercial development of this process in the Lake Superior region in the 1950s, the term taconite has been used globally to refer to iron ores amenable to upgrading by similar processes.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

With hunting bands, shots on squirrels, rabbits and ground hogs result in 3-5 inches of penetration with steel shot. They give straight and true flight. So do marbles but I get no penetration, just killing through blunt force trauma. The washers fly true for short range. I use to use them when I was a poor kid and didn't have steel shot. Now I use steel shot or marbles all the time. In my one handed sling, I use smooth river rocks in the shape of eggs, about 2 inches or so in length. Accuracy is very good and surprising with some practice. On wrist rockets I use the the top post for a "sight". On non supported wrist slings, I use a gap method. On the one handed sling, it's like throwing a baseball so it's all done in the mind. The slingshot was my first weapon as a kid. I didn't get introduced to firearms till I was 18. I started with slings and went to bows from there.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have at least one slingshot/wrist rocket in each vehicle, plus one by the back door.

Mostly I use .36 lead balls, but I have a few "special" loads that I use if necessary.

.36 through 1/4" ply isn't hard.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's 3 that I made as well as my favorite commercial model a Trumark FS-1 which is made in USA and only $12.95

My T'Rex made from Trex decking board

My Guava Wood Natural with french whipped handle

My 'Iomaka made from Azek PVC deck board

My Trumark FS-1 with option tapered red tubes

I use plastic beads to plink and 1/4 steel balls for small pests, and .360 lead balls for anything bigger and badder.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

So there is stuff on the islands that needs this attention?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Moa aka aka wild chickens, 'Iole aka Hawaiian Squirrels (rats), tilapias in my stream, and just plain old fashioned fun plinking in backyard since I can't do it with my 22 with the neighbors getting all riled up.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

casastahle wrote:Very nice Ji... :mrgreen:
Do you rig your own own bands :?:
Those pouch knots look great. 8)
Aloha, Yes I buy the Theraband Gold sheet rubber by the foot and I cut my bands myself. The leather the pouch I got from a local upholstery shop. I tie the flatbands on using strips of the same Theraband material. I attached a Youtube video tutorial below a how-to on attaching flatbands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEtDLxqZFSI

I recent got some flat latex to cut bands from which are slightly more powerful than the Theraband Golds. I hope that helps. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Deer? Is it possible? OOO Ya… :shock: :o 8)
stuff of legends, story for a lifetime that her grand children will cherish.

good on ya dad

ya know that you could trade hunting tools and she would still get the deer, right?

respectfully
Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ji, my family really got a kick out of the wild chickens there. I figured that anyone starving in HI was just too lazy lol. I could easily picture myself roasting a chicken over a driftwood fire on the beach.

I would love to see the handhold of the Trex. I bet you could sell slingshots to tourists all day long.

Btw, I think I still have sand on me somewhere from being rolled around in the surf at Pounders. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

casastahle wrote:
“My 16 year old daughter (Kirsten) decided it would be more of a challenge if she used... slingshots instead of a rifle this year...
She said she was just sitting there in a clump of mesquites and this one basically walked right in front of her grazing... one shot right in the heart and the thing jumped on impact taking only a couple of steps then simply died. She said the shot was taken from about 30 feet away or so.Image
The above is getting forwarded to several people.
I'm NEVER going to get to live this one down.”
Live it down? What's to live down? It's YOUR daughter lol, it's the same as if you did it yourself. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji

thanks to you and Kirsten I ordered a couple of Trumarks and some spare bands and ball bearings...

I have a wrist rocket around somewhere but didn't see it. think it's in the boat gear..

Now to add a ring for shooting arrows and set up a target for recovering shot.

my spaniel is going to go ballistic. I have to isolate him when I'm using the airgun cause he runs in front of the shot. When I turn him loose he TRACKS DOWN WHERE THE PELLETS HIT by scent! I have to warn him off to keep him from digging them up. Kind of a nosey critter. Glad to hear I will be prepared for chicken dinner when I get there, or are those wild birds "protected" from hunger?

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

11B30
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Ever try Taconite Iron Ore Pellets for slingshot ammo? They average about 3/8" in diameter and are being sold as slingshot ammo in bulk with free shipping by an eBay seller. His rating is 100% and his customers seem very happy with the stuff according to his feedback profile. The prices seem very reasonable: http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40
I ordered a lot of 800 to try out since I had eBay bucks to redeem anyways so my cost came out to $10.00 for 800 rounds. I think that's a pretty fair deal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taconite
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

That hammer takedown seems to be a custom made only. I can't find one to buy.
11B30
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

FCM-Ji thats cool. Where did they come from. Any idea what it cost to ship them to you? 3leg

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

3leggedturtle wrote:FCM-Ji thats cool. Where did they come from. Any idea what it cost to ship them to you? 3leg
The seller is in Michigan, and shipping is free. I can't find rocks as consistent in size around here and marbles and ball bearing cost as much as 22 ammo. I tried plastic bead from craft store but they just lack the weight to do any damage or keep accuracy beyond 10 yards. I hope these iron ore pellets work out. :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:FCM-Ji thats cool. Where did they come from. Any idea what it cost to ship them to you? 3leg
The seller is in Michigan, and shipping is free. I can't find rocks as consistent in size around here and marbles and ball bearing cost as much as 22 ammo. I tried plastic bead from craft store but they just lack the weight to do any damage or keep accuracy beyond 10 yards. I hope these iron ore pellets work out. :wink:
Let me rephrase. If he had charged shipping what would it have cost? Just curious is all. When/if you go plinking while on the beach, what kind treasures do you find washed up from the ides? Think it wont take you long to get consistent with the taconite. Spent a fair amount of time shooting at floating stuff in Lake Superior with it.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

3leggedturtle wrote: Let me rephrase. If he had charged shipping what would it have cost? Just curious is all. When/if you go plinking while on the beach, what kind treasures do you find washed up from the ides? Think it wont take you long to get consistent with the taconite. Spent a fair amount of time shooting at floating stuff in Lake Superior with it.
I have no idea as all his listing are free shipping. I bought 800+ rounds which I have no idea how much it weighs but I'm guessing he gets the taconite ore balls free and packs them into the smaller bulk rate boxes.
As far this island Oahu is concerned I couldn't go plinking on the beach here, too many tourists and yuppies from the left coast living here now. They'd throw a fit. Net fishing which I grew up doing along the beaches here is now banned thanks to these yuppies. Lost that part of local culture and tradition do to cultural bias pressure from relocated Kalipornites. Lost my wild pig hunting grounds too to developement, and anti-hunters.
At least I still have the stream in my backyard to shoot at passing coconuts and the occasional tilapia who comes too close to the surface.
When I was a kid we used to find all kinds of cool things on the beach during early morning walks mainly glass fishing floats from Japanese fishing boats. They stopped using glass balls years ago so only find plastic floats now which are just not the same. One time my Dad and I found what we at first thought was 50 cal. Browning bullet in the beach. On closer inspection at home it turned out to be 12.5mm so most likely a bullet from a Jap Zero during their attack on December 7th 1941 on the nearby Marine Corp Air Station. I still have that bullet somewhere.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:... Net fishing which I grew up doing along the beaches here is now banned thanks to these yuppies. Lost that part of local culture and tradition do to cultural bias pressure from relocated Kalipornites. Lost my wild pig hunting grounds too to developement, and anti-hunters.
Much as I hate "the race card" sometimes it's appropriate.

Those people should be called Culture Destroying Racists... to their face... whenever possible.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

sore shoulder wrote:Ji, my family really got a kick out of the wild chickens there. I figured that anyone starving in HI was just too lazy lol. I could easily picture myself roasting a chicken over a driftwood fire on the beach.

I would love to see the handhold of the Trex. I bet you could sell slingshots to tourists all day long.

Btw, I think I still have sand on me somewhere from being rolled around in the surf at Pounders. :lol:
During my teenage years Pounders was our favorite bodysurfing spot during the winter north swell season, Sandy Beach on the South Shore our favorite during the summer south swell.

As far as handhold on the Trex slingshot this shape was originally designed by a Mr. Bill Hays (that's his pretty daughter in the picture with the deer http://slingshotforum.com/topic/20224-k ... ntry241800), and is designed to be shot sideways "gangstah" style sighting down the top band like a shotgun barrel. Very short learning curve as far as marksmanship is concerned. I'll attach a video of Bill doing his thing, a pretty amazing shot, and great all around nice guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJjqes3dRBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q6LCexg00
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote:Ji

thanks to you and Kirsten I ordered a couple of Trumarks and some spare bands and ball bearings...

I have a wrist rocket around somewhere but didn't see it. think it's in the boat gear..

Now to add a ring for shooting arrows and set up a target for recovering shot.

my spaniel is going to go ballistic. I have to isolate him when I'm using the airgun cause he runs in front of the shot. When I turn him loose he TRACKS DOWN WHERE THE PELLETS HIT by scent! I have to warn him off to keep him from digging them up. Kind of a nosey critter. Glad to hear I will be prepared for chicken dinner when I get there, or are those wild birds "protected" from hunger?

Grizz
Grizz I hope you ordered the Red RRT or black RR2 bands the plain amber ones are okay for kids but lack power. The reds are super smooth and fast, the blacks are powerful. If you already cast round lead balls they actually make the best ammo up to 50 caliber. My .360 round balls for my "cat sneeze" loads works great from a slingshot.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Here's 3 that I made as well as my favorite commercial model a Trumark FS-1 which is made in USA and only $12.95

My Trumark FS-1 with option tapered red tubes
This Trumark is similar to the one I had in high school. I liked the wrist support.

Ji, we discussed taconite on the first page, I used to find them along the tracks in Ohio. I don't know if they'd be available out here, it sounds like a Great Lakes way of shipping iron ore. There's more info on Wikipedia. Your Ebay source sounds like the way to go, if he doesn't get cut in half by a train.

Castahale - my real reason for posting, did your daughter use an arrow? It hadn't occurred to me to use an arrow. That would be like having a crossbow, now that's cool.

What about using muzzleloader bullets somehow? I am thinking of a rifled barrel with a slot down its length, put in the bullet and a backing plate, let 'er rip. The bullet is pushed down the barrel by the plate behind it, and spins due to the rifling. Silent, deadly and legal - no bullet button or thumb-hole stock. The assault weapon of choice.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

El Chivo wrote:...
What about using muzzleloader bullets somehow? I am thinking of a rifled barrel with a slot down its length, put in the bullet and a backing plate, let 'er rip. The bullet is pushed down the barrel by the plate behind it, and spins due to the rifling. Silent, deadly and legal - no bullet button or thumb-hole stock. The assault weapon of choice.
Didn't Fred Flinstone use one of those?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's another one I made today out of PVC pipe, cost me $2.27 in parts. :D

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Looks like fun to me. The forks won't bend on a hot sunny day?
Can you eat the wild chickens?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

It takes several minutes with 1000 degree heat gun to make them pliable. Or you could put in a 300 degree oven while the missus is out but the sun not hot enough to soften at least not here in the islands.

The wild chickens are pretty lean like a pheasant which they are a type of. If worse came to worse and I HAD to eat them I'd make chicken soup. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

might make good tacos. add some fish tacos and call it good.

the wild chickens sound like hooters, a bird that will call you right to it. convenient.

officially called a grouse, locals call them hooters or spruce hens and they make tasty soups or even tacos... taste better than chicken IMO
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote:might make good tacos. add some fish tacos and call it good.

the wild chickens sound like hooters, a bird that will call you right to it. convenient.

officially called a grouse, locals call them hooters or spruce hens and they make tasty soups or even tacos... taste better than chicken IMO
I used to see those in Idaho all the time, even walked up to one and it let me touch it's tail. I have a picture somewhere a friend took. I think they called them fool hens because they had no fear of man. I remember 3 varieties there- Blue grouse which were the largest, then Spruce Grouse , Ruffed Grouse the smallest which I think they call Partridge in New England. I know down in southern Idaho they have huge Sage Grouse too.

Always wanted to hunt Ptarmigan in Alaska with a 22 rifle probably more than any other game.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When I bicycled the Dalton the Ptarmigan, tho neat birds aren't to bright. They would stay 20-30 feet in front of me for 100 yards or so. If i stopped they would come back to me and cluck and stumble around. Thought if I had a 22 I could have have had fresh eat every day. I tried throwing bread crust to them but they were intent on leading me away from their nest or chicks.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The alaskans I know just shoot their heads off with their deer rifles. 30-06, 270 probably most common. Why pack more than one gun for camp meet? :lol:

kudos on bicycling the Dalton. that's probably still kodachrome in you memory bank, eh?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I hear in the winter the Ptarmigan's dark eye is the only thing you can see so head shots are the only though preferred option.
I'm sticking with a 22. :wink:

ImageImageImageImage