New Quest; thinkin' 'bout an M1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

New Quest; thinkin' 'bout an M1

Post by mikld »

Not lever related, just looking for wisdom.

As long as I can remember I've wanted an M1 Garand. While I'm still in the "thinkin' stage" I'm starting to look around and of course checked CMP. Looking for a good shooter, not interested in history or manufacturer; shooter not collector. Service grade or Special grade.

Anybody have experience purchasing CMP firearms? Any other vendors that I may consider?

Thanks fellers...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Quest; thinkin' 'bout an M1

Post by TedH »

I got my Sercive Grade from the CMP a couple years ago. Very easy process, and didn't take as long to ship as they said. Rifle arrived in better than expected condition, and I doubt you will find one at a better price than the CMP.

And like they say, they aren't making them anymore. Go for it.
NRA Life Member
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I picked up my 03 Springfield from the CMP. Very simple to do. Just get the paperwork in order and go for it. That being said, I've seen several M1's in our local gun shops that are in good condition. You might check around in your area, although you may pay quite a bit more. I picked mine up over the Internet about 10 years ago from a company back east that re-conditions old M1's. It was completely rebuilt using GI parts, re-Parkerized, and mounted with new furniture to meet NM specifications. I paid $700 or something like that. Now it would go for twice that amount.

Get one now while you still can. The current administration isn't allowing any more to come back into the country so prices will continue to rise and the good ones will be snapped up quickly.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Get one while you still can. For a shooter, the CMP re-worked special grade rifles are really nice. The Service grade rifles can be really nice as well. I got rack grade just to see what they are like, and it's just fine but the stock was pretty dinged up and the crown was nicked. I recrowned it and put a CMP replacement stock on it and now it shoots just great (low early WWII era serial number too - a nice bonus), but clearly the Service Grade is the way to go (or the like new Special Grade).

Seriously, do not dilly dally - get one while you still can. They shoot soooo nice and they just oooze history.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I don't have any experience with buying from the CMP but I support your choice to buy an M1. They are fun to shoot! My son has mine, along with my M1 Carbine. Both are fun to shoot but the Garand is one of my (our) favorites.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

CMP :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think you will love an M1. My favorite rifle all time I think. And currently I don't have one. Hmmm
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dont dilly your dally, do it now while they are still available and legal.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And order a LOT of clips too... When you need them they are impossible to find...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Never fooled with the CMP or owned a Garand or fired one !

Do however have a pair of M1 Carbines that were prchased from the NRA in 1962 by my father and maternal grandfather .

One my pop got was a Winchester and my grandpop got an Inland . At a total cost of $34.50 for the PAIR !

Now with that being said I wouldn't mind having a decent Winchester Garand to go with the Carbines :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I ordered my CMP M-1 back in the '70s, they lost my buddies' and my orders. In order to make up for their error, they sent us NM rifles at the same cost as the "service, as-issued" grade we ordered. $169.

Yep, the cost has gone up, but like you, I'm ready to order another and like COSteve said, the Special Service grade will be it. You won't find a rack grade in a gunshop for as little. Many of those in shops have both the crown and forcing cones shot to heck and gone. AND, they still want over a grand for one.
Old Ironsights wrote:And order a LOT of clips too... When you need them they are impossible to find...
+1,000! I have about 50, and still find myself wanting more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

I think if you join Garand Collectors you are allowed to order from CMP.

I swapped for one years ago and put a new Criterian barrel on when Midway had them on sale .
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Arrrrg, I try so hard to resist wanting one. As military I already qualify for the CMP purchase. It doesn't help that when I shot one belonging to a member here many years ago, I hit the 300 yrd rock offhand 3 out of 5 times or something like that.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:Arrrrg, I try so hard to resist wanting one. As military I already qualify for the CMP purchase. It doesn't help that when I shot one belonging to a member here many years ago, I hit the 300 yrd rock offhand 3 out of 5 times or something like that.
Bugger. I forgot about that. I don't remember.. a DD214 qualifies you for CMP... yes?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Never fooled with the CMP or owned a Garand or fired one !

Do however have a pair of M1 Carbines that were prchased from the NRA in 1962 by my father and maternal grandfather .

One my pop got was a Winchester and my grandpop got an Inland . At a total cost of $34.50 for the PAIR !

Now with that being said I wouldn't mind having a decent Winchester Garand to go with the Carbines :wink:
That shows you what waiting might do as I got my M1 Carbine in 1972 and the price had jumped to $100. While $100 is a big jump from $17.25, I did get a pristine National Postal Meter with high wood as well as a bunch of accessories.

(I got 4 GI mags with the rifle and bought the other 3 later.)

I retired it after about 200rds along with our HRA M1 Garand and they make a decent looking pair.

We have an all original bring back WWII Carbine at the shop . It's an Inland the barrel dated 1943 and the provenance says it was brought back from PI in 1944 by a WAC , Seems there was a guard that gave the nurses a hard time , so he fell asleep on guard duty one night and they took his carbine . When it was time for them to go stateside one of them put it in her footlocker and brought it back . Seems ladies things were not searched like the men's and she's had it ever since . Correct WWII rear sight , no bayonet lug , two original clips , original sling as well as a repro sling and overall finishe in the 95-97% range !

I'da had it home already except for the $1200 price tag :?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !