Cimarron 1876 Tang Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Cimarron 1876 Tang Sight

Post by rjohns94 »

My Cimarron in 45-75 is soon off to the range. I have some 140 loaded rounds ready for a range day, all .348 resized brass. My question is which tang sight have you chose for your Cimarron 1876's. I was thinking of a hunters mid range vernier, just not sure which company to go with. thanks for your help. Want to order it very soon. Let me know which model and from who and what you like and/or dislike. thanks for all your help
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I just put a Marbles tang sight on my Chaparral 1876 in .45-60 WCF, which I purchased from a fellow forum member. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet with the new tang sight on, but it looks like it is going to be a VAST improvement over the factory sights (it's amazing anyone hit anything with those!) :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

tang sight

Post by rjohns94 »

which model marbles?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I don't recall the exact model number for the Marble's sight I used on my Taylor's Uberti 1876, but I believe it was for a pre-safety Winchester 1886.

The mounting holes lined up perfectly. I also installed a Beach style front sight.

I found that the Marble's elevation adjustment would not go high enough to reach even 200 yards with black powder or equivalent smokless loads.
My solution was to install an extra-high eyepiece stem available from Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,229.html

Now Marble's has a new sight available called the "New Improved Peep Tang Sight" with interchangeable height elevation screws. I think this would be the way to go to maximize sight versatility.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6385.htm

Shasta
Last edited by Shasta on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Shasta that is a beautiful rifle. The wood is fantastic.

Where did you get the "Beach front sight"?
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

sights

Post by rjohns94 »

so I decided to purchase a midrange vernier sight and a beech front sight from The Rifle Smith. The beech front is gold inlaid. When I get them on the rifle I will post a pic along with the range report.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

kimwcook- The Beach sight was from an estate. It is one of the repos available from Buffalo Arms. I believe they run around $70.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

kimwcook wrote:Shasta that is a beautiful rifle. The wood is fantastic.
Agreed, the wood is amazing!!! You guys are gonna get me in trouble with these `76's. :cry:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CraigC wrote:
Agreed, the wood is amazing!!! You guys are gonna get me in trouble with these `76's. :cry:
They are wonderful to hold!!! :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
CraigC wrote:
They are wonderful to hold!!! :D
I know! I thought they would be overweight but when I was shopping for a muzzleloader I handled the one they had in the shop. A 28" .45-75. Handles great for a rifle of its size. I never should've picked it up. :wink: