Marlin 36 chambered for .300 Savage?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 36 chambered for .300 Savage?

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: while going thru Elmer Keith’s “Keith’s Rifle’s for large game” (2001 reprint, Palladium Press), I read the following:

“Weaver 330 scope, Stith mounts, on Marlin Model 36, a rifle now chambered for the .300 Savage cartridge.”

Now that made me sit up and take notice! I never thought that the Model 36 could take the pressure.

Does anyone have any Marlin reference books to check this out? I would appreciate it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 36 chambered for .300 Savage?

Post by harry »

Ray Newman wrote:Gents: while going thru Elmer Keith’s “Keith’s Rifle’s for large game” (2001 reprint, Palladium Press), I read the following:

“Weaver 330 scope, Stith mounts, on Marlin Model 36, a rifle now chambered for the .300 Savage cartridge.”

Now that made me sit up and take notice! I never thought that the Model 36 could take the pressure.

Does anyone have any Marlin reference books to check this out? I would appreciate it.
Bethlehem Steel went out of business when Elmer quit shooting, they couldn't find enough scrap steel.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think that was an announced release that didn't happen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I could better believe the .303 Savage... Maybe..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Elmer blew some guns up - not exactly Mr. Milquetoast in gun experimentation. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

300 Savage in a Marlin lever? Now that is an interesting thought. Just barely longer than a 30/30, and the Marlin feeds the 35 Remington so smoothly it shouldn't be a big job to get the 300 Savage feeding nicely. I can see why Elmer might have been tempted to give it a go.

And for a short time Marlin chambered their model 336 for the 375 Win which operates at higher pressures than the 300 Savage. Do we know if that chambering caused any problems in the Marlin?

I had never even had the thought until this thread about the 300 Savage and the pressures thereof.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Earl, When I was googling the 250 Savage, I came across an auction house That had a Marlin lever chambered for 250-3000. Said it was 1 of 2 factory produced examples that was s'posed to go into production but was killed for various reasons. Surewas pretty in its factory presentation wood case.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I read an article a few years ago about the 336 being chambered in 250 savage. From the article it said bolt thrust would lockup the action from time to time and Marlin gave up on the idea.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

considering pressures, recently [ for me that means within the last 20-30 years ], marlin made the 336 in 356 winchester also. i have one, still new in the box, gonna try it when the weather warms up.
cable
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The 300 Savage and the 356 Win operate at essentially the same pressure level, would be about the same bolt thrust. Be interesting to hear your report, cable. Seems like Marlin would have done quite a bit of shooting with the hotter cartridge before deciding to try marketing it.

I know I have on occasion loaded 30/30 to somewhat above SAAMI spec and just told myself "heck, they chambered this thing in 375 Win so the action must be OK for some more pressure". And no, I didn't achieve any noteworthy ballistic breakthroughs but also didn't damage my Marlin. And nowdays I can get the same ballistics using hodgdon's LVR powder without straining the pressure limits, so the 170 grain Hornady at 2400 fps out of the 30/30 may get used for next years cow elk hunting. And that 170/2400 doesn't give up a whole lot to the 300 Savage, ballistically (well, say 180/2450 for the Savage).

Fellow levergunner Buck Elliott has seen the Marlin 336 loaded to destruction. Where do you figure the limits should be, Buck? Was Marlin going out on a limb chambering for the 375 Win at 60K psi? Should 356 Win (or 300 Savage) at 52K psi be OK?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .375 Win is a 52,000 c.u.p. cartridge, whatever that may translate into in psi.. The Hodgdon manuals don't list any loads over 50,OOO cup for that cartridge..

Bolt thrust in the .375, at that pressure is much less than in the .454 Casull, or .500 S&W, loaded to 65,000 psi.

The boys at Big Horn Armory discovered the same things I experienced with the .454, when they tested an 1895 Marlin, with the big .500.. Locking lug was hammered and distorted; receiver sidewalls bulged outward, bolt was severely battered, and the gun became unsafe/unusable after just a few rounds fired..

Another possible determining factor for not including most of the cartridges mentioned above could be that they were regularly loaded with spitzer or semi-spitzer bullets. Marlin may have been overly-cautious about safety concerns, regarding the tubular magazines of their leverguns..

I was disappointed by the lack of factory support for the .375, and moreso regarding the .307 and .356, which I think are superior to the .375 in a lever-action.. Bullet selection may have spelled doom for all three rounds...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Buck Elliott wrote:The .375 Win is a 52,000 c.u.p. cartridge, whatever that may translate into in psi.. The Hodgdon manuals don't list any loads over 50,OOO cup for that cartridge..

Bolt thrust in the .375, at that pressure is much less than in the .454 Casull, or .500 S&W, loaded to 65,000 psi.

The boys at Big Horn Armory discovered the same things I experienced with the .454, when they tested an 1895 Marlin, with the big .500.. Locking lug was hammered and distorted; receiver sidewalls bulged outward, bolt was severely battered, and the gun became unsafe/unusable after just a few rounds fired..

Another possible determining factor for not including most of the cartridges mentioned above could be that they were regularly loaded with spitzer or semi-spitzer bullets. Marlin may have been overly-cautious about safety concerns, regarding the tubular magazines of their leverguns..

I was disappointed by the lack of factory support for the .375, and moreso regarding the .307 and .356, which I think are superior to the .375 in a lever-action.. Bullet selection may have spelled doom for all three rounds...
why the heck winchester did not make the 375 based on a 308/307/444 sized type case i cannot fathom! that would have been a heck of a cartridge, maybe better than the 307 or the 356.
cable
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

A couple of years ago, I listed a ranch rifle ( lived on a working ranch in N.M. ) Marlin in 375 Win. in the classifieds here.
It generated NO interest.
I have since come across some interesting pieces but have said nothing.
Saying I am sorry to that old rancher, cured me of trying to be a middleman.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Jim Carmichael took out a prototype 336 in 250-3000. Gun had a spiral-fluted magazine tube similar to that used on Remington 14's and 141's.
This gun or another prototype has been offered for sale by one of the big auction houses...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mescalero wrote:A couple of years ago, I listed a ranch rifle ( lived on a working ranch in N.M. ) Marlin in 375 Win. in the classifieds here.

I missed that for some reason. When I did notice it was spoken for.

BenT; I tried finding it but couldn't. Glad you saw the same thing.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:A couple of years ago, I listed a ranch rifle ( lived on a working ranch in N.M. ) Marlin in 375 Win. in the classifieds here.
lf l had the money at the time l would have spoken up and bought it!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

why the heck winchester did not make the 375 based on a 308/307/444 sized type case i cannot fathom! that would have been a heck of a cartridge, maybe better than the 307 or the 356.[/quote]

I have a 336 built on the 356 necked up to 375 and can say that it is more fun than I can stand loaded clear up to potential.
Another thing is that Hornady 220 gr. flatpoints are a bit tender at top velocity-slowed it down a couple of hundred fps and works well even on close shots.If it was going to be ran at top velocity a custom bullet would be needed.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

bgmkithaca wrote:why the heck winchester did not make the 375 based on a 308/307/444 sized type case i cannot fathom! that would have been a heck of a cartridge, maybe better than the 307 or the 356.
I have a 336 built on the 356 necked up to 375 and can say that it is more fun than I can stand loaded clear up to potential.
Another thing is that Hornady 220 gr. flatpoints are a bit tender at top velocity-slowed it down a couple of hundred fps and works well even on close shots.If it was going to be ran at top velocity a custom bullet would be needed.[/quote]

I had heard of such, but you are the only one i have heard from directly. with a custom bullet that would handle anything on this continent rather easily i think.

neat !
cable
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Buck Elliott wrote:The .375 Win is a 52,000 c.u.p. cartridge, whatever that may translate into in psi.. The Hodgdon manuals don't list any loads over 50,OOO cup for that cartridge..

Well said! :cry:
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Wasn't the 225 Winchester also tried in a levergun?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Blackhawk wrote:Wasn't the 225 Winchester also tried in a levergun?

Johnny
i didnt know that, but that is interesting!
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've the the Marlin 375... been told it wasn't factory, as it was introduced in 1980, and my receiver is numbered to 1978. I've heard of a couple of others with receivers numbered before the intro date. I bought mine new, in the box with all the proper paperwork matching everything at Grant Boys in Costa Mesa, CA in mid 1980 for bear hunting. Could never afford a guided hunt... and my spot & stalk skills severely lack!

But I have no doubts that the 375 Win. cartridge is more than capable for the job.
I actually load mine, with Hornady's 220 grain bullet at quite bit lower pressure, but get excellent velocity for a 220 grain bullet. But it's getting harder and harder to find those.
Thanks, I never knew that. I've often wondered why I didn't get much more flattened primers with the 375Win at its higher pressures than with a .30-30. That probably explains it.
Amen. Especially for the .375.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

IIRC when this came up before someone had some intimate knowledge about the project (marlin 336 in 250 Savage) said there was an issue with extraction and a concern about pointy bullets in the mag tube. I think Remington solved that in their pump rifles but the extraction issue? Seems like that should not have been insurmountable but I suppose if you are selling them as fast you can make them there is no much incentive to do R&D.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

hfcable wrote:
bgmkithaca wrote:why the heck winchester did not make the 375 based on a 308/307/444 sized type case i cannot fathom! that would have been a heck of a cartridge, maybe better than the 307 or the 356.
Another thing is that Hornady 220 gr. flatpoints are a bit tender at top velocity-slowed it down a couple of hundred fps and works well even on close shots.If it was going to be ran at top velocity a custom bullet would be needed.
I had heard of such, but you are the only one i have heard from directly. with a custom bullet that would handle anything on this continent rather easily i think.

neat ![/quote]

I built one on a Win 94BB. Very easy conversion. Probably best bullet to use is a 235 gr Speer and flatten the tip a little to create a FN. FYI there is enough clearance in a Lee 375 Win FCD to work on this cartridge.

On a Marlin you should be able to use necked up 308 brass.