Hi Point missed opportunity?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Hi Point missed opportunity?

Post by wm »

I stopped at a newly opened local pwn shop just to see what they had in the way of firearms and see how knowledgeable the staff was. Not much on both accounts.....but they did have a 9mm Hi Point (8+1 capacity) with a spare magazine they just took in on trade. I could have left with it for $80 but instead I just left.

Wondering now if maybe I should have picked it up. It was in like new condition, the previous owner told the staff he had only shot two boxes of ammo through it so I am guessing just 100 rounds down the barrel. Otherwise it has sit in a drawer otherwise. I have no illusions aboout what these pistols are, but it might be entertaining to wring one out for a week or two just to say I had.

After that I'll probably do what I always do with such bargain basement finds and I give it away to some young guy or gal starting out to use as a home defense pistol. I've done this before with 22 rifles, sporterized mil surp rifles, old pump shotguns, and even a couple of revolvers. My only stipulations are that they get a NRA membership ASAP, & when they are ready to 'upgrade' they likewise give it away.

What do you think should I go back and get it?

Wm
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hi Point missed opportunity?

Post by damienph »

Just about anything that shoots is worth $80. I do not like Hi-Points at all, not even their carbines but for $80, I would have a hard time walking away from that; especially since you just want to shoot it some and then give it to some new shooter who might be on a very limited budget.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If you have the money to waste, go get it. I know some people defend them, usually along the lines of "it's a gun, and anyone can afford one." To me, it's more like, "Anyone can afford one, it purports to be a gun, and some of them work, after a fashion."

I owned one briefly, a brand-new one I got as part of a trade. It was heavy and bulky; I am a 5'11", 200# male with good upper-body strength, and I could barely rack the slide; the trigger was horrible -- heavy, gritty, and utterly inconsistent; the gun abounded in sharp edges that actually cut my hands in several places the first time I took it out to shoot it; it jammed constantly, only three times managing to feed and fire two shots in a row; accuracy was absolutely nonexistent. As a self-defense item, I would rate it better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as, say, a big stick.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Be sure and run a full fingerprint FBI back ground check on yourself first.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I had one in 45 that I bought for a 110 dollars used shot it a bit and then bought a RIA Tactical 1911. I sold the Hi Point to a friend for 75 bucks since I felt he could afford it since he has kids in school and money is tight. Hi Points are top heavy due to the heavy slide for the blow back action for it to work. but also due to that you cannot hardly destroy them. Check out the you tube videos of the guys that tried. For 80 bucks it would be a good gun to leave in a vehicle if some one stole it you would not be out much. I thought of that, but then decided it would be a good deal for my friend.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Save up another $30 and get a Mosin Nagant! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I will defend the carbines as they seem to work, but the pistols are pretty rough. I know guys who've had one that's worked just fine, but they break eventually. The problem is you don't know when they're gonna break! If it happens in the midst of a self-defense exchange of fire that's pretty bad. :? I'd say pass on it and keep your eye peeled for something else.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Friends don't let friends buy Hi Points.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

sore shoulder wrote:Friends don't let friends buy Hi Points.

Well said!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

2ndovc wrote:

Well said!

jb 8)
All right, come on now. Most people who buy a Hi-Point for $80 are not going to shoot it enough to break it. For a self defense gun at room (15' max) range it will work just fine. I do not like Hi-Points but for a self defense firearm chambered in 45ACP that will fire when the trigger is pulled (maybe multiple times) for $80; I just don't see the downside to that. We aren't talking gun guys/gals here.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Junk is junk and always will be junk. This includes HiPoints, Bersa, Ravens, old top breaks, even Russian Nagants. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

This explains a lot your a gun snob as well. I think folks should buy what ever they want with out some arm chair/ internet gun expert saying every thing is junk/
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

olyinaz wrote:I will defend the carbines as they seem to work, but the pistols are pretty rough. I know guys who've had one that's worked just fine, but they break eventually. The problem is you don't know when they're gonna break! If it happens in the midst of a self-defense exchange of fire that's pretty bad. :? I'd say pass on it and keep your eye peeled for something else.

Life time warranty no matter who has owned it before you and they have tried to break them on videos and these guns took more punishment than a lot of other guns and kept on working. No I do not own one now but I did for about 6 months and it worked just fine and was accurate to boot. Just not my cup of tea I prefer 1911s. But those that bash them just because of the brand name is wrong I would bet 90% of the gun bashers on the internet bash them on hearsay and never even shot one. And that goes for other brands as well.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I had a Hi point carbine , and it was a lot of fun, shot and ran just fine no problems. Someone gave me more for it than i paid for it. The handguns are basic and not refined. It would work just fine as a nightstand gun or gun hiden around the house somewhere for that money. They are not very balanced for a regular shooting , plinking gun.

Plus they are a brick ,you could always throw it at someone and do some serious damage. :lol:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:Junk is junk and always will be junk. This includes HiPoints, Bersa, Ravens, old top breaks, even Russian Nagants. :D -----------Sixgun
Jack , don't hold back tell us how you really feel. :D
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BenT wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Junk is junk and always will be junk. This includes HiPoints, Bersa, Ravens, old top breaks, even Russian Nagants. :D -----------Sixgun
He's right but so is the old saying - One man's junk is another man's treasure.

My point is for a non-gun person who doesn't want to or cannot spend much money on a handgun, an $80 Hi-Point in 45ACP could serve as a means of self defense in the home. Shoot it so that you know it functions and you know how to make it function, put it on or in the nightstand in the event you may need it.

Would I own one? Probably not. Can they serve some purpose ? I believe so.
Last edited by damienph on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good drop gun if you can get it facemask to facemask in the dark of the night in an unlit forest glen.....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When I was a younger man I'd buy stuff cheap because it was cheap but now I'm able to see that when you buy the best that you can afford you're generally much better off in the long run.

No, I do NOT like Hi-Points. THEY ARE stuff! The magazine catch is subject to breakage from a too enthusiastic insertion/seating of the magazine. Many people have said that they are accurate but they often complete that sentence with "as long as they work". The carbines have a MUCH better reputation than the pistols. We have people buy them, try to trade up with them, want to sell them out-right and bring them in for repairs all the time. Nobody I know who has bought one has been entirely satisfied even if they did fill an immediate or temporary need. Save another 20-30 bucks and get a used Marlin model 60. I think you'll be much, much happier over the long run.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:When I was a younger man I'd buy stuff cheap because it was cheap but now I'm able to see that when you buy the best that you can afford you're generally much better off in the long run.

No, I do NOT like Hi-Points. THEY ARE stuff! The magazine catch is subject to breakage from a too enthusiastic insertion/seating of the magazine. Many people have said that they are accurate but they often complete that sentence with "as long as they work". The carbines have a MUCH better reputation than the pistols. We have people buy them, try to trade up with them, want to sell them out-right and bring them in for repairs all the time. Nobody I know who has bought one has been entirely satisfied even if they did fill an immediate or temporary need. Save another 20-30 bucks and get a used Marlin model 60. I think you'll be much, much happier over the long run.
Meh, just more armchair internet bashing and internet hearsay.
11B30
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Wait a minute! "old top breaks"!?! Now you have gone too far!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well its a moot point now.....someone else gave it a good home.

The good news is I found something else to spend my money on so it wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket....a a never mounted on a gun $65 16 " 38-55 winchester wrangler barrel for a future project gun. I always wanted a 38-55 Trapper for .....well....um......geez I guess I just wanted one. That'll put me one step closer.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Owned one for a bit. Nothing wrong with a hp. They're not you're tuned 1911, but they're more than suitable for places you just need a budget gun that will go bang everytime. Car gun, random house gun, etc. There's a story about a hiker who carries them as opposed to nicer carry weapons because they're effectively disposable, abusable and have the best warranty bar none.

Diss a hipoint, but they work. Swear.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Hobie wrote:When I was a younger man I'd buy stuff cheap because it was cheap but now I'm able to see that when you buy the best that you can afford you're generally much better off in the long run.

Go to the HI Point Forum there are a lot of satisfied Hi Point owners there. They fill a niche and do that well. Yes they are clunky and cheap but they work and their warranty if you need it is one of the best in the business.

I remember when Henry started to get popular they got bashed by the Winchester 9422 owners and the Marlin 39 owners. Saying they were junk (Pot Metal Parts and some Plastic) and they would not last ten years yet for a life time. I am others pointed out that that particular design has been around since Erma in Germany started building them in the early 70s. Plus Ithica got them as their Model 72 and Iver Johnson before they went out of business did as well. I am thinking the current Henry co bought out their machinery. After it was pointed out that the Henry style rifle has been around for over 40 years with the owners of them guns still shooting them it shut up the naysayers some what. Again if you go to the Henry Web site they are well regarded as they are on a lot of forums now but it has not always been that way.

Got to say some do not like Rossi/Tarurus guns either yet they have many satisfied customers myself included. I also think some gun shops or gun smiths get a dislike for certain guns and not others even though the others may have faults as well. That goes for Gun owners as well. Lets face it it was well known about the car companies having certain days that it seemed due to the work force lemons would be produced. Who is to say the gun industry is any different.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

It is better to have an gun any gun that you can afford then not have a gun. Guns like the Hi Point fill a niche or a stepping stone for a lot of folks for better guns at a later date when finances are better. Or they decide they want something better. For some they are perfectly satisfied with them. Who are we to say different. If they like them that is all that matters.
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

olyinaz wrote:I will defend the carbines as they seem to work // ** snipped text ** //
I have their 9mm carbine and it's worked fine for 100 rounds so far.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jh45gun wrote:It is better to have an gun any gun that you can afford then not have a gun. Guns like the Hi Point fill a niche or a stepping stone for a lot of folks for better guns at a later date when finances are better. Or they decide they want something better. For some they are perfectly satisfied with them. Who are we to say different. If they like them that is all that matters.
Pisgah wrote:...I know some people defend them, usually along the lines of "it's a gun, and anyone can afford one." ...As a self-defense item, I would rate it better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as, say, a big stick.
Yep, who's to say.
But I will say that I want to be there to watch when you and Pisgah square off; you with your 45ACP Hi-Point and he across the room with his big stick. I'll be watching from your corner.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

damienph wrote:
jh45gun wrote:It is better to have an gun any gun that you can afford then not have a gun. Guns like the Hi Point fill a niche or a stepping stone for a lot of folks for better guns at a later date when finances are better. Or they decide they want something better. For some they are perfectly satisfied with them. Who are we to say different. If they like them that is all that matters.
Pisgah wrote:...I know some people defend them, usually along the lines of "it's a gun, and anyone can afford one." ...As a self-defense item, I would rate it better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as, say, a big stick.
Yep, who's to say.
But I will say that I want to be there to watch when you and Pisgah square off; you with your 45ACP Hi-Point and he across the room with his big stick. I'll be watching from your corner.

Actually I have said here I do not have the HI Point anymore I sold it to a friend cheap so he could have a gun he could afford. I now have two 1911s bought one and won one.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Pisgah wrote:If you have the money to waste, go get it. I know some people defend them, usually along the lines of "it's a gun, and anyone can afford one." To me, it's more like, "Anyone can afford one, it purports to be a gun, and some of them work, after a fashion."

I owned one briefly, a brand-new one I got as part of a trade. It was heavy and bulky; I am a 5'11", 200# male with good upper-body strength, and I could barely rack the slide; the trigger was horrible -- heavy, gritty, and utterly inconsistent; the gun abounded in sharp edges that actually cut my hands in several places the first time I took it out to shoot it; it jammed constantly, only three times managing to feed and fire two shots in a row; accuracy was absolutely nonexistent. As a self-defense item, I would rate it better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as, say, a big stick.

I had non of them issues with the one I had briefly. No sharp edges and it never jammed. Still is working fine for the guy I sold it to.

As far as wracking the slide it was no stiffer then my 2 1911s You either got a bad one which Hi Point would have fixed if it was, or your over exaggerating it as a form of HI Point Bashing. Not sure which but as I have said there are a LOT of satisfied owners at the Hi Point forum.

As far as not being tough I would not do this to any of my guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5 ... ults_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvj ... ults_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote:

Ha! I never was one much for sugarcoating. :D OK, you really want to know how I feel? Remember now, I have been seriously into guns of all American makes for over 40 years and this is what I have to say about econo guns..................................Yea, they will work for a few boxes of ammo, maybe even hit a washtub at 20 yards on a good day..........Now try them for 4 or 500 rounds, until the soft steel on the sears wear down and tolerances grow throughout the gun. They will come apart in your hands and if your lucky, might feed for 2 of the 7 rounds.

Junk is junk and always will be junk------------------Elmer Keith

Wait, I need to add more so here's an edit......

If the cheap gun an individual is buying is for self protection (and it usually is as junk is not bought for target shooting) well, that individual is a total idiot.......100% idiot. If you can afford a TV (who can't?) you can afford a Smith & Wesson, Colt or a Ruger. Remember, its your LIFE we are talking about. Years ago I met this guy at a public range who was shooting a snubby 'Smith and then he tells me, "Yea, I got the 'Smith, but I got my wife a Raven". AH---100%

I see used quality 'Smiths & Colt snubbies all the time for under $300. Just the other day, I passed up a tarnished Colt Agent .38 for $149. Yea, I snoozed on that one.

Let the retarts in the ghetto buy the junk. After all, that's who they were made for anyway. (and I ain't laughing)--------------------Sixgun

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd save a bit more, even cut a meal out a day, get the mil-spec. RIA .45 commander. A LOT OF GUN, for a little more money. I did the cheap gun route myself, when I was younger. The RIA will outlive you and handle alot better. Fit, is VERY important in accurate shooting. JM2 cents. Don't take it as gun snobbery, some will say the RIA is junk too.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

A little dremel tooling did wonders for my old one.

And hey, warranty stuff. Sent me back ghost sights, an extra mag and repair pistol.

I was poor and needed something. Never had a failure to fire as long as I owned it and you can find variously etreme torture testing that only a glock would live up to.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

tman wrote:I'd save a bit more, even cut a meal out a day, get the mil-spec. RIA .45 commander. A LOT OF GUN, for a little more money. I did the cheap gun route myself, when I was younger. The RIA will outlive you and handle alot better. Fit, is VERY important in accurate shooting. JM2 cents. Don't take it as gun snobbery, some will say the RIA is junk too.

I now have two Armscor 1911s a RIA Tactical and a High Standard Government Model. Both are out standing guns and I sold the Hi Point I had to a friend cheap so he could afford it when I bought my RIA Tac. The High Standard I won in a raffle. Glad to have both. But I still say the Hi Point Fills a Niche for some. The torture test videos prove they are tough and can stand up to abuse plus their warranty is bullet proof and fast service if you need it.

Now like a lot of the other guns you are hard pressed to even find one the dealers cannot get them. So some one must like them for what ever reason.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The Nagant was actually a pretty neat design in it's day. It's about the only revolver you could effectively silence due to gap between the cylinder and barrel.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Panzercat wrote:A little dremel tooling did wonders for my old one.

And hey, warranty stuff. Sent me back ghost sights, an extra mag and repair pistol.

I was poor and needed something. Never had a failure to fire as long as I owned it and you can find variously etreme torture testing that only a glock would live up to.
I'm curious, what were you dremeling that needed work? And why did you send it back for warranty work if it was working fine?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

JB wrote:
The Nagant was actually a pretty neat design in it's day. It's about the only revolver you could effectively silence due to gap between the cylinder and barrel.

I agree the Nagant is not a 'junk' pistol I had a couple of them at one time but did not want to mess with the hard to find milsurp ammo even though you can shoot 32 Longs and 32 H&R Mags in them safely though it does alter the case a bit. They are well made pistols and their cylinder sealing function is kinda neat. For those looking for an inexpensive 32 pistol they are a good buy even at today's higher prices on them.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

olyinaz wrote:I'm curious, what were you dremeling that needed work? And why did you send it back for warranty work if it was working fine? Thanks,
The dremeling was purely for aesthetics. Normally the ejection port and barrel aren't shiny stainless. It made the piece less of an eye-sore IMO. The warranty work was me with the butterfingers. Dropped the pistol (unloaded, duh), smacked the slide and mangled the safety lever and grips. To some that will only reaffirm their opinion of the gun as no good... Or you could just not be a clumsy oaf and toss your pistol to impact against hard surfaces like me.

I will say it is an ungainly amalgam of plastic and steel. Certainly not graceful, ergonomic or even balanced properly. But it fires and the warranty even covers user stupidity regardless of who owns the gun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:

Nope, experience working in the gun store for 4 years...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

wm wrote:Well its a moot point now.....someone else gave it a good home.

The good news is I found something else to spend my money on so it wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket....a a never mounted on a gun $65 16 " 38-55 winchester wrangler barrel for a future project gun. I always wanted a 38-55 Trapper for .....well....um......geez I guess I just wanted one. That'll put me one step closer.
Cool!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jh45gun wrote:

Go to the HI Point Forum there are a lot of satisfied Hi Point owners there. They fill a niche and do that well. Yes they are clunky and cheap but they work and their warranty if you need it is one of the best in the business.

I remember when Henry started to get popular they got bashed by the Winchester 9422 owners and the Marlin 39 owners. Saying they were junk (Pot Metal Parts and some Plastic) and they would not last ten years yet for a life time. I am others pointed out that that particular design has been around since Erma in Germany started building them in the early 70s. Plus Ithaca got them as their Model 72 and Iver Johnson before they went out of business did as well. I am thinking the current Henry co bought out their machinery. After it was pointed out that the Henry style rifle has been around for over 40 years with the owners of them guns still shooting them it shut up the naysayers some what. Again if you go to the Henry Web site they are well regarded as they are on a lot of forums now but it has not always been that way.

Got to say some do not like Rossi/Taurus guns either yet they have many satisfied customers myself included. I also think some gun shops or gun smiths get a dislike for certain guns and not others even though the others may have faults as well. That goes for Gun owners as well. Lets face it it was well known about the car companies having certain days that it seemed due to the work force lemons would be produced. Who is to say the gun industry is any different.
I don't doubt that there have to be satisfied owners, I just haven't met any long-time satisfied owners. There's better and most people discover that eventually and it seems that those who shoot them do so more quickly. As I said, the carbines seem to be much better received than the pistols. As you pointed out, sometimes you need something and don't have money. I alluded to that as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought I'd just interject something to further stir the pot. The Hi-Point pistols are the most traced pistols out there. In fact, the shop at which I work has had 5 traces in 5 years and only 1 was NOT a Hi Point. This has nothing to do with their quality perse, but is likely linked to their price point.
Sincerely,

Hobie

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

Nope, experience working in the gun store for 4 years...
That was sarcasm Hobie, and a subtle dig at someone else, you can guess who.
11B30
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

damienph wrote:
Wait a minute! "old top breaks"!?! Now you have gone too far!
I 100% EXCLUDE the Smith & Wessons. I have one made the year Billy the Kid was killed and I have several thou shot out of it...no problems. That gun and a small single action made during the Civil War that has eaten up about a thou. :D ------------Me

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie wrote:I thought I'd just interject something to further stir the pot. The Hi-Point pistols are the most traced pistols out there. In fact, the shop at which I work has had 5 traces in 5 years and only 1 was NOT a Hi Point. This has nothing to do with their quality perse, but is likely linked to their price point.
That's the main reason Targetmaster refuses to carry any low end guns. He won't even take 'em in on trade.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Hobie wrote:I thought I'd just interject something to further stir the pot. The Hi-Point pistols are the most traced pistols out there. In fact, the shop at which I work has had 5 traces in 5 years and only 1 was NOT a Hi Point. This has nothing to do with their quality perse, but is likely linked to their price point.
Not sure how that stirs the pot any. As you said, it's the product of pricing; something that applies to a lot of products across any number of industries. To flip that around, you're seeing a lot of pistol traces on Hi-Points. Apparently somebody thinks they work, even if the indicators you're noting are potentially illicit. It all points to a cheap gun that goes bang when required. Sure they're probably dumping it after use because of the low price point, but that's a referendum on their profession, not the gun's abilities.

If it does the job, bad guys are probably going to use it just as much as the good guys /shrug

I'm not gonna lie though, unless its your only gun or you have a special mission in mind for it, you'll want to replace it as quickly as possible with something better :p
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Panzercat wrote:
Not sure how that stirs the pot any. As you said, it's the product of pricing; something that applies to a lot of products across any number of industries. To flip that around, you're seeing a lot of pistol traces on Hi-Points. Apparently somebody thinks they work, even if the indicators you're noting are potentially illicit. It all points to a cheap gun that goes bang when required. Sure they're probably dumping it after use because of the low price point, but that's a referendum on their profession, not the gun's abilities.

If it does the job, bad guys are probably going to use it just as much as the good guys /shrug

I'm not gonna lie though, unless its your only gun or you have a special mission in mind for it, you'll want to replace it as quickly as possible with something better :p
Agreed which is why I sold it to a friend and bought a 1911 to me it was too Glocky looking :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: and the heavy slide is clunky. They do not make a good carry gun at least the 45 does not the 380 you might get by with it. But like you say it goes bang when required and does it fairly accurately too. It is going to be a gun that is either hated or loved though I suspect some that are doing the hating never even shot one and are basing their views on internet chatter only.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

sore shoulder wrote: That was sarcasm Hobie, and a subtle dig at someone else, you can guess who.
Don't be subtle or passive aggressive - this forum is better than that. Man up and own your insults straight on and head up.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

olyinaz wrote:
sore shoulder wrote: That was sarcasm Hobie, and a subtle dig at someone else, you can guess who.
Don't be subtle or passive aggressive - this forum is better than that. Man up and own your insults straight on and head up.
Being direct and owning what I say is not a problem for me. I man up plenty in real life, I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else on a forum.

The subtlety was more to keep the thread clean. I'm actually surprised Hobie thought that was directed at him. I was pointing out that he in fact was NOT an armchair keyboard expert, contrary to someone else's prior comments regarding people who have issues with the Hi Point.
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

jh45gun wrote:They do not make a good carry gun at least the 45 does not the 380 you might get by with it.
Somehow I doubt even the .380 will make for a pleasant carry experience. I tried with my 9mm once... And never again. It's a boat anchor... A good, stationary boat anchor :D